Author Topic: Wales - give cyclists room signs  (Read 2242 times)

Wales - give cyclists room signs
« on: 09 July, 2020, 10:30:02 pm »
Cool, but will this make any difference ?
Rust never sleeps

Re: Wales - give cyclists room signs
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2020, 10:44:20 pm »
Shame they've also decided to wade into the h****t debate.

(and the "two abreast is illegal" debate)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:49:48 pm »
That's reading an awful lot into a not to scale pictogram.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:55:10 pm »
I liked the implication that it's only the cyclists who will see the signs.  Drivers will, presumably, be busy with their phones.

Davef

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2020, 10:28:44 am »
Shame they've also decided to wade into the h****t debate.

(and the "two abreast is illegal" debate)
Wearing a helmet, not riding two abreast when it obstructs other traffic and passing a cyclist with sufficient clearance are all recommendations of the Highway Code. I appreciate it is only the last one that is likely to be taken as evidence of a criminal carelessness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2020, 12:30:49 pm »
I thought it was not more than two abreast
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2020, 12:45:33 pm »

It's this:
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Nothing about obstructing other traffic.

I brought up two abreast riding because the Spanish version of this sign incorporates it: https://twitter.com/KeithRobertson/status/1188767282257973248

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2020, 12:48:56 pm »

Rule 66 (para 3): never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Edit: Beaten to it!

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2020, 01:09:28 pm »
My memory may deceive me, but I recall it used to be no more than two abreast on narrow roads (or words to that effect).

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »
My memory may deceive me, but I recall it used to be no more than two abreast on narrow roads (or words to that effect).
1972 Highway Code rule 132 - "Do not ride more than two abreast.  Ride in single file on busy or narrow roads."

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2020, 01:37:45 pm »
My memory doth deceive me.

Davef

Wales - give cyclists room signs
« Reply #11 on: 10 July, 2020, 03:01:03 pm »
Because it came after a bit about being considerate to other road users In my mind I had that you were recommended by the Highway Code to ride single file on narrow roads to let cars past. In fact as others have pointed out, you should ride in single file on narrow roads, or busy roads or bends whether or not you are obstructing traffic.

I still however firmly hold my belief that the Highway Code insists on tight fitting clothes and forbids waving to other cyclists.

Edit: ... and doing track stands at traffic lights is compulsory.

« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2020, 03:46:45 pm »
Because it came after a bit about being considerate to other road users In my mind I had that you were recommended by the Highway Code to ride single file on narrow roads to let cars past. In fact as others have pointed out, you should ride in single file on narrow roads, or busy roads or bends whether or not you are obstructing traffic.

I still however firmly hold my belief that the Highway Code insists on tight fitting clothes and forbids waving to other cyclists.

Edit: ... and doing track stands at traffic lights is compulsory.

Cars never let me past when they are cluttering up the place (queuing or whatever) so they can get straight in the sea.

I don't like people I don't know waving at me it's strange, I then have to spend ages wondering if I know them and if this is early onset memory loss, I like even less the ones that take offence because I didn't wave back. If I wanted a social club I'd take up football or something.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 10 July, 2020, 05:52:19 pm »

It's this:
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

Nothing about obstructing other traffic.

I brought up two abreast riding because the Spanish version of this sign incorporates it: https://twitter.com/KeithRobertson/status/1188767282257973248
I like that the Spanish one shows the overtaking car using its indicator. And that it shows sociable cycling.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2020, 07:26:56 pm »
See my other thread about "new idiocy" to see some reactions.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #15 on: 16 July, 2020, 10:35:58 pm »
And the Welsh parliament have just voted to make the default limit on residential roads 20mph.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2020, 11:59:32 pm »
Well done Wales!

« Reply #17 on: 17 July, 2020, 10:59:37 am »
More on that. Not there yet - it needs to go to consultation - but solid cross party support - 45 in favour, 6 against, 2 abstaining.

https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Wales-backs-20mph-limit-by-default-for-residential-streets/16711

When I say cross-party, I didn't include the, er, 'fringe' parties. Among the 6 against

Gareth Bennet - Abolish the Welsh Assembly party (he needs to change the name of the party, or resign, now the Welsh Assembly no longer exists)
Mandy Jones - Brexit party
Neil Hamilton - Ukip
Michelle Brown - Independent, was UKIP (the woman who was recorded as describing Chuka Umunna as a 'fucking coconut')