Author Topic: Design of residential cycle storage  (Read 2438 times)

Design of residential cycle storage
« on: 16 August, 2020, 07:25:37 pm »
We have a developer that wants to put a cupboard for two cycles withing the premises of each of their flats.

The trouble is they want to arrange access 'side-on', so that the first cycle has to be lifted rather than rolled into place followed by the second. If you are a fit and have a 7 kg road bike no problem. If you are Mr/Mrs Average with a 17 kg town bike, putting your cycle away is a challenge. If the first cycle in is also the first needing to go out, then there's too much messing around.

You can see that the cycle cupboard will become a glory hole and cycles will be left outside, making the place untidy and the cycles becoming a target for theft.

Cambridge City Council Cycle Parking Guide gives a nice roll-in design but the development isn't in Cambridge.

I've looked for a source that the developer might 'respect' but haven't found anything.

Can you help out with some source that will help the developer see sense?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Design of residential cycle storage
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:30:00 pm »
Which council is it?

Also Manual for Streets is national guidance - see the first few pages of Chapter 8

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/manual-for-streets
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:40:55 pm »
Make sure it's also suitable for cycles with such exotic features as 700c wheels (with non-skinny tyres), 'dutch' handlebars and rear mudguards.  Not to mention the additional weight of electric assist.  Or practical accessories like baskets and child seats.

Once you give a nanosecond's consideration to that sort of thing, especially when used by a woman of less-than-average-height, most 'cupboard' designs turn out to be unsuitable. And that's before anyone thinks about disability.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:07:13 pm »
Make sure it's also suitable for cycles with such exotic features as 700c wheels (with non-skinny tyres), 'dutch' handlebars and rear mudguards.  Not to mention the additional weight of electric assist.  Or practical accessories like baskets and child seats.

Once you give a nanosecond's consideration to that sort of thing, especially when used by a woman of less-than-average-height, most 'cupboard' designs turn out to be unsuitable. And that's before anyone thinks about disability.

^^^ THIS! ^^^

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:26:50 pm »
Is this storage inside each flat or storage in a communal area?

This is guidance on communal storage.
https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/media/6771/cycle-parking-guide-for-new-residential-developments.pdf

I don't see why a local council wouldn't be "respected".

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:39:55 pm »
Is this storage inside each flat or storage in a communal area?

This is guidance on communal storage.
https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/media/6771/cycle-parking-guide-for-new-residential-developments.pdf

That's a pretty good guide. I have one issue with it. Page 9, bottom diagram, it uses the term "Average" to describe the cycle. This means that if you design round that average cycle, then 50% of all cycles will be larger than it, and thus likely not to fit. Surely that should be "typical" rather than average?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2020, 12:47:48 pm »

If your plan isn't to pay lip-service to the local authority while you seek planning permission and then do the bare minimum and scarper while not being hotly pursued by the threadbare council "enforcement" team, you probably have no business being a property developer.

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2020, 07:47:43 pm »
Which council is it?

Also Manual for Streets is national guidance - see the first few pages of Chapter 8

It's East Cambridgeshire District Council.

The bike storage is within each flat. All the suggested out-of-doors design recommendation does not help. Cycling UK provides some good general advice. But nowhere do I find sufficient detail to address the cupboard idea.

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2020, 08:02:07 pm »
Most residential blocks are against you bringing bikes in due to damage to the corridor walls etc.
I would say good biek storage is secure cages which can be used for prams also.
With sheffield stands or similar sturdy anchor points.

My own block had useless little legbreaker stands in front of each parking space which were bolted into the concrete.
Bolted - with the bolt heads showing. Got past the planning regulations but were completely useless.

« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:27:17 pm »
Never likely to accept horizontal bike storage in flats, would take up too much floor area.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:38:53 pm »
Can you ask the developer or their architect to show if they've used that system elsewhere and how successful it's been?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:42:35 pm »
We have a developer that wants to put a cupboard for two cycles...

Cambridge City Council Cycle Parking Guide gives a nice roll-in design but the development isn't in Cambridge.

I've looked for a source that the developer might 'respect' but haven't found anything.

Which council is it?

If the developer won't respect guidance from the next door LA then I suspect that you are dealing with the sort of developers grams refers to.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2020, 09:00:05 am »
Most residential blocks are against you bringing bikes in due to damage to the corridor walls etc.
I would say good biek storage is secure cages which can be used for prams also.
With sheffield stands or similar sturdy anchor points.

My own block had useless little legbreaker stands in front of each parking space which were bolted into the concrete.
Bolted - with the bolt heads showing. Got past the planning regulations but were completely useless.
My own cupboard in m my own flat would be vastly preferable to a cage in a communal area,  where everyone can see my bikes,  and i am reliant on the security actions of other residents preventing outsiders accessing the cage area.

Vertical storage is not necessarily the worst, but side access is is poor  i did see something on my Facebook feed about ana bike rack where the bike is wheeled in forward,  and the rack does most of the lifting.

Paris

Two of these in each cupboard with end access rather than side.  Coats shouldn't be any larger than they are proposing,  just had the door on the end rather than side.  Should also make the door smaller as you don't need to pull your bike out sideways.

Doesn't seem suitable for full length mudguards though

Eddington  127miles, 170km

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2020, 03:49:22 pm »
Which council is it?

The bike storage is within each flat. All the suggested out-of-doors design recommendation does not help. Cycling UK provides some good general advice. But nowhere do I find sufficient detail to address the cupboard idea.

To be fair the developer appears to be complying with the literal wording in the East Cambridgeshire Local Plan:

Para 7.9.3 -  Individual secure covered cycle storage should be provided for dwellings.

2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2020, 04:21:40 pm »
Which council is it?

To be fair the developer appears to be complying with the literal wording in the East Cambridgeshire Local Plan:

Para 7.9.3 -  Individual secure covered cycle storage should be provided for dwellings.

I read that as referring to communal bike parking, not bike storage inside individual  flats.

7.9.3   Good cycle parking will be required within residential and non-residential development to encourage the use of more sustainable forms of transport. Standards are set out below. These are set as a minimum, as the availability of secure cycle parking is a key factor in determining whether people choose to cycle or not. Cycle parking for employees should, wherever practicable, be covered in a convenient and secure location. Individual secure covered cycle storage should be provided for dwellings

Dwellings (town centres as defined on the Policies Map): 1 cycle space per bedroom.
Dwellings (other locations): 1 cycle space per dwelling.
Cycle parking for dwellings can be accommodated within garages, provided there is room for both car and cycle parking.

Storage inside a flat would be up to the resident to arrange, I would have thought.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »
If you look at some other councils' stuff it often just shows the ratios per bedroom or floor area and then says "secure and covered", which could be met by a communal room with racks* or a Bikehangar type product. I think the word "individual" is key here.

What stage is this at - feasibility / consultation or do they already have a planning permission? PM me if you want me to have a look as I do this for work.

The latest round of policies are often better worded with regard to specific designs and catering for recumbents, cargo bikes etc, but as Local Plans last 20+ years it will take a while for everything to fall into line.

*I would prefer this in a block of flats if suitably designed, as you can keep it on the ground floor and it keeps the wet and mud out.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2020, 04:43:06 pm »
I guess it comes down to a balance of security and convenience. A space within each dwelling is most secure, but leads to a hassle for those residents on the top floor. Communal access areas being designed to allow easy transit of bicycles through them.

A set of sheffield stands outside the flat on a public area is not suitable fir anyone, but a row of bike lockers each assigned to a flat at the entrance to the block might be secure. Security rating of each individual door must be good or it relies on others keeping the general area secure at all times. Of course this would potentially take up the space of a flat or more so reduces income from the development.

Certainly what they have proposed is secure and covered. Whether it is intended by the guidance is open for debate

Eddington  127miles, 170km