Author Topic: Ring (or other camera) doorbell info  (Read 1136 times)

Ring (or other camera) doorbell info
« on: 03 November, 2023, 07:39:38 pm »
I would be grateful for some info about this, knowing always that the devil is in the detail

I'm expected to advise SiL tomorrow (she who, along with my now deceased BiL have managed to parlay a reasonably substantial 3-bed house in London into a 2 bed maisonette in wildest Essex in under 10 years, through astonishing management) on her doorbell.

She is just moving into a first floor "maisonette" (no, I'm not sure of the difference between that and a flat, either), so some sort of entryphone appears mandatory, and these days a wired-but-wireless (ie, wired power but wireless connectivity) seems best. I looked at Nest, but they are spendy (and you may have gathered said relative has little free cash) and the Ring is much cheaper. It looks to me as if you either have to pair it with an Alexa, or a standalone doorbell. To get the benefit of the camera, you would need to have an Alexa screen device, or the app on your phone - I assume all can work together at the same time?

I've never used a Ring, so don't know if I'm missing anything critical? any obvious alternatives I should know about?

Re: Ring (or other camera) doorbell info
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:05:46 pm »
I have one. As far as I know it can't unlock your door for you. Essentially, you can pair it to your phone with motion alerts and/or alerts when someone presses the bell. You can pair it with an Alexa to provide a chime.

I find them.both useful, either to talk to people on my doorstep when I am elsewhere, or shout "Alexa! Five minute timer!" when I am cooking.

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:17:20 pm »
For Ring or Nest, you need to pay a subscription to use all of the features. ie to actually record any videos. So consider the cost of that as well.
Reolink doorbell works without subscription. And probably better image quality than Ring.

I'd go for Power over Ethernet if possible, should be more reliable than wifi.

« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:41:07 pm »
For Ring or Nest, you need to pay a subscription to use all of the features. ie to actually record any videos. So consider the cost of that as well.
Reolink doorbell works without subscription. And probably better image quality than Ring.

VERY useful info, didn't realise that, thanks

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:44:35 pm »
...or shout "Alexa! Five minute timer!" when I am cooking.

Assuming that it is similar to nest, did you realise you can set multiple named timers? I find this exceptionally useful on my nest. The mildly amusing chicken clucking alarm when you say "OK Google, set a chicken alarm for an hour and a half" or the like is an added bonus.

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:47:15 pm »

VERY useful info, didn't realise that, thanks

All depends on what you want it for, I suppose.  A 'security' device, or a doorbell.

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2023, 08:49:35 pm »

Assuming that it is similar to nest, did you realise you can set multiple named timers? I find this exceptionally useful on my nest. The mildly amusing chicken clucking alarm when you say "OK Google, set a chicken alarm for an hour and a half" or the like is an added bonus.

I'm at an age where I don't care.  When stuff gets updated, and it no longer functions in the way that it used to, I stop using it.  I just can't be arsed  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2023, 09:01:42 pm »

She is just moving into a first floor "maisonette" (no, I'm not sure of the difference between that and a flat, either)

Stairs. It's a flat, but with more than one floor.

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2023, 09:05:53 pm »

I'm at an age where I don't care.  When stuff gets updated, and it no longer functions in the way that it used to, I stop using it.  I just can't be arsed  ;D
You misunderstand me. The ability to set multiple, named, timers handsfree is (at least IMO) one of the key benefits of a smartspeaker, invaluable when preparing a large meal and needing to keep track of multiple strands, although tbh, there is a failing in that you aren't told which alarm is going off, you need to ask which are still running if you are unsure. I was assuming that Alexa will do similar (after all, why not?)

« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2023, 09:06:37 pm »

She is just moving into a first floor "maisonette" (no, I'm not sure of the difference between that and a flat, either)

Stairs. It's a flat, but with more than one floor.

I don't think so, I'll update once I've seen it tomorrow, although the definition agrees with you

A maisonette would traditionally refer to a self-contained flat with its own front door directly off the street, most commonly over two floors. This distinguishes it from flats on one floor only, which are typically accessed via a shared entrance and internal common parts.

« Reply #10 on: 03 November, 2023, 09:59:50 pm »
I have a Eufy doorbell/camera which works well over internet without subscription.Good video day and night. My battery version needs a recharge every 4-6 months but there is a wired version.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2023, 10:50:50 pm »
There are robust standards-based[1] solutions from companies you've never heard of that work without an internet connection, won't be bricked in 5 years time and don't share data with the Met without your consent.

First hit on google: https://www.voipon.co.uk/sip-door-entry-systems-c-1599_587.html

Not that I'm actually recommending this approach unless there's going to be a SIP PBX or something you can reasonably tie it into, but it's worth having some awareness of how things are done properly before forking out for consumer-grade Internet-of-Shit solutions.

[1] Unsexy things like SIP and Power-over-Ethernet.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2023, 11:17:53 pm »
If it is a maisonette, with door opening onto the street , why is some sort of entryphone mandatory?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 03 November, 2023, 11:27:57 pm »
Because, in the absence of batpoles, you need a way to persuade the shite courier to stay put while you answer the door?

« Reply #14 on: 03 November, 2023, 11:47:09 pm »
Essential audio (and visual I suppose) for the security of a lady of a certain age living alone. Lock release is less so, and could be retro fitted alongside.

« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2023, 06:20:09 pm »
FWIW, we went with a standard wireless doorbell, and this maisonette is a flat with its own street entrance.

« Reply #16 on: 04 November, 2023, 07:03:33 pm »
FWIW, we went with a standard wireless doorbell, and this maisonette is a flat with its own street entrance.

Ah - we call those main door flats round here. ;)