Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 374880 times)

Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1900 on: 21 March, 2019, 05:48:37 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1901 on: 22 March, 2019, 08:43:38 am »
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1902 on: 22 March, 2019, 11:00:32 am »
Rush hour ostrich!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47659232

One of the stories my father used to tell us as kids was the time he was partly responsible for an ostrich getting run over on Liverpools dock road.

Just after WW2 - most of the zoo populations had died during the war so there was a thriving trade for smuggling exotic animals on merchant ships returning from foreign parts
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Formerly Known As

• The Legend Lives On
« Reply #1904 on: 27 March, 2019, 07:21:36 pm »
A story in our local chipwrapper today.  An ice cream man shouted at a kiddie and made him cry.  I kid ye not.

But fear not! When a rival ice cream firm heard of the little boys tears via Facebook, they dispatched one of their own ice cream vans to deliver an ice cream to the young fellow, and the balance of ying and yang is now restored.

Yep, its life and death stuff here in the Home Counties.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1906 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:35:35 am »
"I think it's just people wanting more and more cars."

Bonus points for the crudely drawn wheelchair icon, there.  Must have been the cycle lane guys moonlighting.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1907 on: 03 April, 2019, 10:21:48 am »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1908 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »
Man unlocks car in supermarket car park.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/went-check-lidl-actually-stopped-2713850

I once molished Postman Piers a radio device to relay the blinks of the blinkenlight on his electricity meter to the parallel port of a convenient computer, for MRTG porpoises.  Unfortunately the electricity meter was in the garage, and the regular 433MHz pulses had a similar effect on the remote keyfob system of Snap, his kevved-up Nova.  As part of the kevving-up process involved the removal of the external key slots for the door locks, this counted as Hilarious Consequences (though, due to the provision of a SEEKRIT electrical keyswitch in a wheel arch for operating the central locking, not as much as that time he left the lights on in a multi-storey car park).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1909 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:10:39 pm »
Couldn't he have climbed in and out of the windows, Dukes of Hazard style? Or is that not Kev anymore?  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1910 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:14:27 pm »
Good thinking, though I suspect it would have risked damaging the paintwork.

« Reply #1911 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:57:07 am »
I once molished Postman Piers a radio device to relay the blinks of the blinkenlight on his electricity meter to the parallel port of a convenient computer, for MRTG porpoises.  Unfortunately the electricity meter was in the garage, and the regular 433MHz pulses had a similar effect on the remote keyfob system of Snap, his kevved-up Nova.  As part of the kevving-up process involved the removal of the external key slots for the door locks, this counted as Hilarious Consequences (though, due to the provision of a SEEKRIT electrical keyswitch in a wheel arch for operating the central locking, not as much as that time he left the lights on in a multi-storey car park).

Sorry. No idea what any of that means.  ??? :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1912 on: 04 April, 2019, 10:55:57 am »

Kim often forgets that most of us are mere mortals.  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1913 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:49:54 am »

To allow monitoring of mains voltage/consumption(?), Kim made a transmit/receive device so as to link the mains at the meter with a 'puter to read the signals.

433MHz is the same frequency as most aftermarket car alarms. Hilarious quincequonces would include but not be exclusively limited to - regular locking/unlocking of the car, random alarm activations, lots of flashing lights and - well -  use your imagination...

HTH
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1914 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:54:44 pm »
Nahh, it just jammed the signal so he couldn't get into his car without first climbing over it to nobble the transmitter unit.  The keyfob system was cryptographic, like modern ones, and wouldn't unlock in response to any old signal.  But the electricity meter (and transmitting device) was on the wall halfway down the garage, much closer to the car's receiver than the doorway where you'd operate the keyfob from.

The effect of a flat battery on a car with purely electric door locks left as an exercise for the reader.  (I think the AA bod eventually managed to open the bonnet from below using car thief skillz, and an inconvenient Anderson connector was later added to facilitate jump-starting the central locking in future.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1916 on: 05 April, 2019, 04:32:56 pm »
The effect of a flat battery on a car with purely electric door locks left as an exercise for the reader.  (I think the AA bod eventually managed to open the bonnet from below using car thief skillz, and an inconvenient Anderson connector was later added to facilitate jump-starting the central locking in future.)
Gerry Anderson?

« Reply #1917 on: 07 April, 2019, 12:50:56 am »
In the frequency department, about 25+/- years ago the US Navy built a new place to park big grey boats in the nearby city where we used to live.

There were reports of residents' garage doors opening and closing on their own, not at the owners' command via remote sender, whenever certain vessels came in to port.  It was said that there were certain communications-related frequencies used in the ships' systems which told the garage doors to open. Apparently the boat operators started switching those systems off when nearing port, and the problem went away.

« Reply #1918 on: 07 April, 2019, 04:53:57 pm »
And exploding cows due to submarine comms.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1920 on: 08 April, 2019, 06:12:55 pm »
That's a legitimate complaint about Bristol, I suppose, but it hardly seems fair to put it down there with Birmingham.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1921 on: 08 April, 2019, 06:16:46 pm »
Where presumably the problem is "so many fucking canals."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1922 on: 08 April, 2019, 06:19:07 pm »
We've got more miles of fucking canals than fucking Venice!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1923 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:09:50 pm »
Where presumably the problem is "so many fucking canals."
You are Basil otp and icmfp  ;D ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.