Author Topic: Bikes seen out and about  (Read 29324 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Bikes seen out and about
« Reply #25 on: 09 October, 2019, 09:10:57 pm »
I do like a nicely curved fork.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:39:58 am »
I do like a nicely curved fork.
Yuri Geller appreciation society.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 10 October, 2019, 04:37:51 pm »
It seems the forum resizes the pics, click on copy and paste the link for full size.
Max forum picture dimensions are 640px in either direction.  In the FAQ, we ask people NOT to post larger photos, but to resize them to 640 first and link them to a larger one if required.

Yes, 640 is small but we did have a good think about this and it was after the days of dial-up, before anyone asks.  1024 doesn't work well on phone screens but the main issue is that, with tens of photos on a gallery page being pulled from numerous different servers, it gets slow even on broadband and, on mobile, it eats into data allowances very fast if they're all 3MB.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 10 October, 2019, 11:54:19 pm »
It seems the forum resizes the pics, click on copy and paste the link for full size.
Max forum picture dimensions are 640px in either direction.  In the FAQ, we ask people NOT to post larger photos, but to resize them to 640 first and link them to a larger one if required.

Yes, 640 is small but we did have a good think about this and it was after the days of dial-up, before anyone asks.  1024 doesn't work well on phone screens but the main issue is that, with tens of photos on a gallery page being pulled from numerous different servers, it gets slow even on broadband and, on mobile, it eats into data allowances very fast if they're all 3MB.

I agree some people are too lazy and upload huge pics straight from their camera unedited but I reduce to 1600x1200 (average about 400kb), or smaller like 1200x900. For pics where there's no need to zoom in to look at details, I'll go even smaller.

I thought the forum just shows them smaller, without actually reducing the dimensions and file size.

Right click and "view image info" on a pic in this thread gives something like:

Size: 426.8 KB
Dimensions: 1,600px × 1,200px (scaled to 640px × 480px)

Doesn't the pic come from the image host (eg Imgur) direct to your device?

Also it seems you can see the pics in a bigger size up to the original uploaded size by zooming in the web page (ctrl +), certainly bigger than 640x across, the text will get bigger as well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 10 October, 2019, 11:59:19 pm »
I agree some people are too lazy and upload huge pics straight from their camera unedited

No always lazy, sometime just computer-impaired.  I've committed this crime while touring in the past, and subsequently replaced the images with scaled ones when I got back.

I thought the forum just shows them smaller, without actually reducing the dimensions and file size.

That's my understanding.

Furthermore, hiding them behind a spoiler tag (which might seem to be a reasonable compromise) doesn't actually prevent them loading.

« Reply #30 on: 11 October, 2019, 12:19:31 am »
BTW, I don't disagree with the resizing!

« Reply #31 on: 11 October, 2019, 12:29:31 am »
Courtois

Revell

Planet X "Holdsworth", not my taste (just about everything's "wrong") but leads onto the next...

Roy Thame

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 11 October, 2019, 11:05:50 am »
BTW, I don't disagree with the resizing!

Me neither.  Nothing worse than an entire page deteriorating to horizontally-scrolling hell because someone's embedded a massive image.  Clicking to embiggenate on the odd occasion you really care about the details of an image is no hardship.

« Reply #33 on: 17 October, 2019, 06:38:02 pm »
Courtois

I knew Courtois was a famous trumpet maker, I knew bicycle frames could be made out of gas pipes, but I didn't know bicycle frames could be made out of trumpet pipes  ;D

A

« Reply #34 on: 17 October, 2019, 08:58:14 pm »
Courtois

I knew Courtois was a famous trumpet maker, I knew bicycle frames could be made out of gas pipes, but I didn't know bicycle frames could be made out of trumpet pipes  ;D

A

They are (or were, I don't know if they are still in existance but probably are) a cycle shop in or near Poitiers. I thought they bought in frames to put their name on (rather like some of the late Jourdes kicking around  Limoges, the genuine ones have Mercel's initials on the seat stays; the later ones were after he retired)

« Reply #35 on: 18 October, 2019, 12:40:41 pm »
They are (or were, I don't know if they are still in existance but probably are) a cycle shop in or near Poitiers. I thought they bought in frames to put their name on (rather like some of the late Jourdes kicking around  Limoges, the genuine ones have Mercel's initials on the seat stays; the later ones were after he retired)

Sadly enough, a quick search revealed that there was a company named "Cycles Courtois" located near Poitiers, who ceased to exist in 2011 :(

« Reply #36 on: 19 October, 2019, 03:11:25 pm »
Yes, I did do a search for Courtois and it seemed to be a French bike shop.

FW Evans, from when they only had the one shop I think.

M Steel (Dave Yates), seems to have a really long head tube extension, I guess to get a low top tube and long exposed setpin.

Roberts, with custom built racks, frame's too small (IMO).

OK this is a display bike in a shop, Look TVT

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:12:52 pm »
What the *~#@! is going on with the Evans's handlebars? I mean, sure bar position is a personal matter, but... !"£$%!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:19:59 pm »
Loose stem bolt?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:21:38 pm »
Well yeah, I'm wondering if it's just someone's preferred position or if they're loose.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:23:24 pm »
The state of that hood doesn't look consistent with rigorous maintenance.  And on closer inspection, the brake cable appears to suggest the bars have done a full rotation, so maybe they spent some time in the now legendary "DUI bars" position?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 19 October, 2019, 05:29:44 pm »
Well spotted. I'd noticed the hood but not the cable. Sherlock points for Kim!

« Reply #42 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:19:37 pm »
Atala flat bars single speed conversion

Just from what I can see from the photos:
80s Atala frame
Campagnolo Super/Nuovo Record parts
Sprints and tubs (I'm not sure what rims, possibly GP4, tubs are Vittoria Rallye)
Weird for the sake of weird spoke pattern, I don't know the know the name. I found a pic of 3 pulling/3 pushing that is similar but these are 2 pulling/2 pushing .

Both brake QR are up.
No seat bolt, seatpin is held up with a jubilee clip.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:47:29 pm »
The conspicuous lack of bar-end plugs makes me wince, TAAW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 22 October, 2019, 01:04:45 pm »
Me too.

« Reply #45 on: 22 October, 2019, 01:17:12 pm »

Was this one anywhere near South Kensington?

You do find some interesting machines!

« Reply #46 on: 22 October, 2019, 05:30:38 pm »

Was this one anywhere near South Kensington?

You do find some interesting machines!
Judging by the scrawl in the bottom RH corner of the parking notice, it's in one of sunny Southwark's parks.
ETA - WTF is going on with the bars?   ???
ETFA - My money is on Southwark Park.

« Reply #47 on: 27 October, 2019, 12:26:30 pm »
The sign does say Southwark (South London borough) but I don't remember where I took the photo of the Evans bike..

Elswick Hopper Safeway

I had one when I was at school (same colour but diamond frame), I remember it had amazingly stable handling.

60s or 70s Peugeot

« Reply #48 on: 23 November, 2019, 02:50:39 pm »
No name aero frame with flattened tubes and Shimano aero parts from the early 80s. I think only the dual pivot brake calipers are not original.

Pedals with non-standard oversized axles.

Allegro city bike/light roadster. The fade paint scheme might seem modern and gaudy but in fact seems to go back quite far back.

"Bespoke", used by Norris Nockley, Settle. Early 80s I think.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclecrank/collections/72157603595903633/
Norris Lockley - “Bespoke of Settle” custom light weights on the brazing of lugless frames
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/norris-lockley-builder.html

Itera plastic bike!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 23 November, 2019, 03:02:21 pm »
What happened to the Itera's saddle? Stolen, I suppose. Many years ago, Mrs Cudzo and I were walking along the street we lived on when a car went past with a blue bike on its roof. She was instantly taken with the bike and when the car serendipitously stopped just up the road, she talked to the people and bought the bike. It was not an Itera, though it was something unusual with a strange frame in two halves (left and right, but metal thankfully), but I think its plastic wheels were like the Itera's.