Author Topic: Electronic kitchen scales  (Read 3641 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Electronic kitchen scales
« on: 17 February, 2019, 10:17:15 am »
I think I'd like some, cos the tare function seems useful? My 40+ years old cast iron and stove enameled set is getting a bit shabby and rusty.

(NOT the cheapo Lidl sort, which I have tried and are going back for a refund after 3 months of intermittent will they won't they work today >:()

Any up to date recommendations please? (last thread on this issue was 4 years ago)

I see Salter are guaranteed for 15 years.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Electronic kitchen scales
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:23:59 am »
We have a set of these.

More spendy, but am very happy with them

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8430029

*spendy, not speedy!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:47:15 am »
I have some Salter ones which I bought in 2003 - still working fine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2019, 11:02:53 am »
I have a Tefal scale that does 0-15 kg by 1g intervals (using the plural seems phunny when there's only one unit).  Also have a 0-300g by 0.1g for heroin etc coffee. Had them about 5 years so far, no problems.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2019, 12:33:50 pm »
See here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=94251.0
I'm still very happy with the Jennings CJ4000 I bought.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2019, 12:41:41 pm »
I've been using another Salter set of scales, bought from Sainsburys several years ago.  Aside from replacing the battery once, which is reasonable, they've worked flawlessly.  For a £15 outlay, I don't think I can complain !

They weight up to 5kg which is good enough for most of my cookery.  A quick press of the power button will re-zero them.  They have 4 different scales, but the volume measurements just seem to do a 1ml = 1g (density of water) conversion, so the ml scale is identical to grams!  I never move mine off of grams.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2019, 12:52:42 pm »
I still use this cheap analogue one:
BuyJohn Lewis & Partners The Basics Mechanical Kitchen Scale, White, 5kg Online at johnlewis.com

« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2019, 04:27:59 pm »
As an early-adopter I bought some Salter ones in ~1992, they broke down 14 years later and were replaced under the 15 year guarantee. When the second set started to play up I paid under a fiver for some cheapo scales to tide me over until I could get to the retailer. They turned out to be *much* better - the display is much easer to read, the reset button responds immediately, but most importantly they react much more quickly. The salter ones were so slow it was a pain to weigh anything - pour ... wait ... bit more ... wait ... repeat. I never bothered taking the salter ones back, just binned them.

The new ones are Duronic, I just looked them up and they are now a lot more expensive, I guess I got them when they were loss-leading to get the name known.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2019, 05:13:32 pm »
If it’s kitten scales you want....

Would you pass me my coat please....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2019, 05:28:37 pm »
My 199* Boots scales are still working.

The previously white plastic is somewhat yellowed in places.
There is a crack in the casing.
I don't recall the last time I gave it a fresh PP3.

I see no immediate reason to replace but I don't do much cooking and postage is less weight-dependant than earlier this century.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2019, 07:51:19 pm »
I suppose they must be quite useful for weighing bike parts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:10:39 pm »
They would be if:
1)   I were a weight weenie
2)   I rode a bicycle.

Neither apply.

« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:12:07 pm »
Salter sell direct with some good deals and free carriage http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/kitchen/kitchen-scales/digital-scales.html

I just bought a replacement for a set similar to Jaded which had lasted long enough that I went to Salter direct, after  cursory look at others.

Some things to consider: Max weight. Many digital are 5Kg max, some are 10Kg (which is my preference). Battery and auto off, 2032 and AAA seem to be the favourite, you pays yer money etc. This is linked to LCD or LED display.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »
I can't remember what ours are.  Some electronic thing.  Salter maybe?

The buttons are badly designed, with the on/tare and metric/firkin-furlong-fortnight-farenheit units functions on different corners of the same button, so I keep having to start again in metric.  I had to replace one of the tactile switches a couple of years ago, after getting bored of removing and re-fitting the battery in order to boot it up.  I won't hold that against it, though, as tactile switches aren't known for their reliability, and are easy to replace.

Works fine on baking ingredients, bicycle parts and sufficiently cooperative kittens.

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:19:01 pm »
In the event that kittens are un-cooperative, cable ties are your friend.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2019, 07:28:39 am »
Salter sell direct with some good deals and free carriage http://www.salterhousewares.co.uk/kitchen/kitchen-scales/digital-scales.html

I just bought a replacement for a set similar to Jaded which had lasted long enough that I went to Salter direct, after  cursory look at others.

And I've just discovered Salter (aka FKA Brands Ltd) have an eBay presence too, where the scales Jaded referred to are £15 cheaper than on their direct website

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Salter-Glass-Digital-Kitchen-Scales-5kg-Aquatronic-15yr-Guarantee/390918500491?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They look kinda modern and macho 8)

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everybody for your help  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2019, 07:52:03 am »
In the event that kittens are un-cooperative, cable ties are your friend.

Genius!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."