Author Topic: The Bread Thread  (Read 110055 times)

Re: The Bread Thread
« Reply #275 on: 03 May, 2020, 08:23:43 pm »
Cheese and green chilli sourdough.

Looks damn good.

« Reply #276 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:35:56 pm »
It was like crack....couldnt leave it alone. Just made another one but tripled the chilli content.

Also made a standard pure white sourdough (run out of rye)

Also got a sack of 00 flour, our own eggs, so fresh pasta tomorrow,

and...finally....guess what I found in the garden....

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #277 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:44:01 pm »
Now my standard white sourdough is tasty enough but it doesn't rise anything like that, or at least the bubbles in it are much smaller. I use 500g strong white flour, 350g starter 190ml water. Prove for 2-3 hours, knock back then into a long banneton for around 7 hours, after which it's just nudging the top. Both provings i cover it with a muslin cloth.
Lazy bacteria? Rubbish baker? Other?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #278 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:45:18 pm »
Not enough water, and dont knock it back.  Are you shaping it to get spring?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #279 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:47:09 pm »
I tried wetter but it sort of splurged over the baking sheet when I tipped it out. I'll increase it a bit once I've bought more flour.

« Reply #280 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:49:16 pm »
Try this:

200g sourdough starter.
250ml of water @ 28°C (ish) (1/3 boiling 2/3 cold).
400g Canadian Very Strong white flour.

Chuck it all in bowl. Mix with a spatula, leave for 25 mins to ‘autolyse’ (soak up the water properly).
Add 10g salt.
Knead on low speed in mixer for about  10mins.
Cling film over mixing bowl and leave to bulk prove at normal room temp for about 3-4hrs or until the dough has about doubled in size.  Should look like meringue.

Turn out. Shape. Bench rest 15 min.

Fold and shape.
Place into proving basket. 3-4hrs for final rise.

Pre-set cloche or cast iron casserole in oven

Bake in cloche at 240°C for 42min. (Take lid off at 25-30 min).

« Reply #281 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:50:10 pm »
I tried wetter but it sort of splurged over the baking sheet when I tipped it out. I'll increase it a bit once I've bought more flour.

Try above recipe. I'll find some youtube vids for shaping

Here you go: https://youtu.be/8uz97MZZmRg

« Reply #282 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:59:15 pm »
I guess this is bread too...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #283 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:12:25 pm »
C'mon then flatus, let's have the chili bread recipe?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #284 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:14:04 pm »
Bugger the chilli bread - GPS coordinates for truffles, if you please

« Reply #285 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:17:17 pm »
C'mon then flatus, let's have the chili bread recipe?

As per recipe above but stick in 150g of strong cheddar, and finely sliced green finger chillies (indian food type). Add it when when it goes in the mixer

« Reply #286 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:19:46 pm »

Had some truffle shavings on linguine for dinner, with pepper, olive oil and a touch of lemon juice. Verr nice.

Found about £100 worth. Going to leave the area alone now and have another root around in July.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #287 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:26:39 pm »

Try above recipe. I'll find some youtube vids for shaping

Here you go: https://youtu.be/8uz97MZZmRg
Brilliant, thanks. Shaping is what I'm not doing.  I shall learn and experiment.

« Reply #288 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:35:22 pm »
It pays to be quite gentle. Don't knock the dough back and dont prove too long. First prove in the mixing bowl 2-3 hours for dough to double. Proving basket 3-4hours

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #289 on: 03 May, 2020, 11:33:59 pm »
Found about £100 worth. Going to leave the area alone now and have another root around in July.

Bloody hell. I thought I was doing well discovering trompettes de mort in the woods next door.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #290 on: 04 May, 2020, 03:34:52 am »

Had some truffle shavings on linguine for dinner, with pepper, olive oil and a touch of lemon juice. Verr nice.

Did you use a pig/dog or know where to look?

« Reply #291 on: 04 May, 2020, 04:32:57 am »

My wife was snuffling around under a tree in the garden.

« Reply #292 on: 04 May, 2020, 08:12:58 am »

So that'll be doggie style then (set 'em up, etc)

« Reply #293 on: 06 May, 2020, 01:50:56 pm »
I have a problem in that my kids love my home made bread. Made two loaves Sunday and froze one. It got two days sandwiches before they had eaten the rest

However the youngest was excited as had shop bread today after our weekly shop. Yes the white crap plastic stuff

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #294 on: 06 May, 2020, 02:40:27 pm »

The father of one of the girls in my son's class used to hunt truffles for sale.  One day she turned up with a small basket of them to share round.  They never reached us: the buggers ate them all right there, like buns. "Very nice," said my son.  "Hmnphfffgh," said I.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #295 on: 06 May, 2020, 02:43:50 pm »
Anyway, this to say that, MrsT being indisposed, I have just baked my first loaf of bread. Rye bread with lots of seeds for a low glycaemic index.  MrsT, watching from the touchline, says it looks like bread.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #296 on: 06 May, 2020, 05:34:03 pm »
I have a bag of wholemeal spelt flour in the cupboard that I bought ages ago but forgot why... But the bread bin was running low so I made another loaf today, and decided to use 20% spelt flour.

Just tasted a bit.... Mmmm, not bad at all.

Interestingly, it seems noticeably lighter than a loaf made with the same proportion of wholemeal wheat flour.

« Reply #297 on: 06 May, 2020, 06:15:24 pm »
When ICBA (ie, not right now) my "standard" mix is 1.2Kg Wholemeal, 100g Rye, 300g spelt and 100g white making two large loaves. I find it has a good balance of flavour and density.

citoyen

« Reply #298 on: 06 May, 2020, 06:36:47 pm »
When ICBA (ie, not right now) my "standard" mix is 1.2Kg Wholemeal, 100g Rye, 300g spelt and 100g white making two large loaves. I find it has a good balance of flavour and density.

That sounds too wholemealy for me. I've never really got on with 100% wholemeal but since getting into making my own bread, I've come to realise that there are no rules, you can simply go with whatever suits your tastes - so I find about 20% wholemeal is enough to give a bit of flavour and texture but retain most of the characteristics of white bread. Obviously you like wholemeal bread more than me.

I like to use a bit of (light) rye too, again about 20%, but alas I've not been able to get hold of any rye flour since lockdown and my stock has run out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #299 on: 06 May, 2020, 07:24:41 pm »
What, if any, is the consensus regarding rye flour amongst the aficionados? I've often used it as a lesser ingredient with white & wholemeal, typically 200g white, 150g wholemeal, 50g white, but at those ratios you hardly notice that it is there. I notice that Marriages have rye flour at under £13 for 16kg. I don't want to buy a load of stuff I can't use before its best-before date though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.