Author Topic: Kingdom of the East Saxons 400  (Read 14808 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Kingdom of the East Saxons 400
« Reply #25 on: 08 June, 2016, 03:29:53 pm »
Harwich control is sorted.  :thumbsup: Fine details to be agreed with Steve and Sarah at the Cafe on the Pier, but basically sandwich/cake + drink free, pay for any extras. Collect a sticker and write your time in. Riders will get sent a menu in due course and when you collect your brevet card at the start, it will have a meal ticket stapled to it.

Lovely spot on the Ha'penny Pier looking out over the yacht haven, Trinity House depot and across to Felixstowe. [Most riders I expect to be there between 18:00-20:00, café staying open late specially for us until 21:24 when the control closes.]

If you fancy a 'sundowner', the refurbished and now very up-market Pier Hotel opposite has a terrace out the front.

« Reply #26 on: 19 June, 2016, 09:28:50 pm »
So the route is 'rolling' right? Are there any elevation numbers, or are we just going with 'some hills but not massively hilly?!'

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #27 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:32:29 pm »
Wilkyboy has done a great job as usual of pulling together a route on RWGPS:

https://ridewithgps.com/events/Kingdom-of-the-Saxons-400km-Audax

Not sure if its the official version, circa 1900m in the first half, 1000m in the second half....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:52:40 pm »
So the route is 'rolling' right? Are there any elevation numbers, or are we just going with 'some hills but not massively hilly?!'

Familiar with a lot of that route and it's not hilly, more bumpy, but lots and lots of them. There certainly isn't much that is genuinely flat. I think there will be a few surprised legs towards the end of it. I'm sure as feck not doing it on fixed, though I daresay wilkyboy and Tom will be.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #29 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:09:42 pm »
I'm sure as feck not doing it on fixed, though I daresay wilkyboy and Tom will be.

Naturally  ;D
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #30 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:16:26 am »

Not sure if its the official version, circa 1900m in the first half, 1000m in the second half....

I checked my RWGPS routes last night against Tom's latest routesheet and there don't appear to be any changes — none that I spotted, anyway.  I've done my usual slice'n'dice of the routes into a number of different GPX/TCX/500-point formats for y'all and you can download from here:

http://www.camaudax.uk/rides/east-saxons-400/

Let me know if you spot anything amiss and if not then I'll see you on the road ... hopefully not lost, somewhere in Essex, never to be seen again ...  ::-)

« Reply #31 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »

I checked my RWGPS routes last night against Tom's latest routesheet and there don't appear to be any changes — none that I spotted, anyway.  I've done my usual slice'n'dice of the routes into a number of different GPX/TCX/500-point formats for y'all and you can download from here:

http://www.camaudax.uk/rides/east-saxons-400/

Let me know if you spot anything amiss and if not then I'll see you on the road ... hopefully not lost, somewhere in Essex, never to be seen again ...  ::-)

We will be route checking this at the weekend.  So will let you know if we spot any issues with the route. Wish us luck as the weather seems to be improving.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #32 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:32:50 pm »
Careful on Creephedge and Buckhatch, ECC have been out with the surface dressing and left the road like beach dunes of stones. 

Might be flattened out a bit since the rain of last night/today. 

There are a lot of routes round there plus over towards Maldon / Tiptree where they've been out or are planning on being out!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #33 on: 25 June, 2016, 06:20:25 pm »
I'm sure as feck not doing it on fixed, though I daresay wilkyboy and Tom will be.

Naturally  ;D

Thought so! I will be on gears - just rebuilding an old favourite steel bike, will probably take that, but then again if I can't get it ready in time...

« Reply #34 on: 26 June, 2016, 11:00:20 am »

Naturally  ;D

Thought so! I will be on gears - just rebuilding an old favourite steel bike, will probably take that, but then again if I can't get it ready in time...

Actually realised that I can't make it, have family over from down under so must do duties - Tom I will come and help in the morning for a bit though if you want some extra help handing out cards and washing up, me and my Mum!

« Reply #35 on: 27 June, 2016, 04:40:05 pm »
Not having done one of Thomsk's events before, am I waiting for an e-mail with a route sheet or can I download the one on the AUK site that has provisional written across the top?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #36 on: 27 June, 2016, 11:23:10 pm »
Not having done one of Thomsk's events before, am I waiting for an e-mail with a route sheet or can I download the one on the AUK site that has provisional written across the top?

You should've received an email this evening with updated routesheet from the helpers' ride over the weekend — I got it and I suspect so did all the other entrants.  If not, email Tom — his details are on the AUK site.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 28 June, 2016, 09:35:29 am »

Route sheet is sent out, hope everyone got it! I forgot to remove the 'provisional' from the top though!

To re-iterate: gps files are on Wilkyboy's camaudax site, not AUKweb.

« Reply #38 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:03:14 am »
Email received, thanks :) :)

Erm, how much 'light off roading' is there and what does it involve?!

« Reply #39 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:53:42 am »
Email received, thanks :) :)

Erm, how much 'light off roading' is there and what does it involve?!

We completed the route check and was fine on 23mm tyres. But you might want to bring mudguards if you want to keep the water etc off. I think the route sheet say something to that effect.

Here is what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v8bskdej01d8mgn/AAD3b9-Tq2Ldnq__BDz7PQGha?dl=0

There is a lot and I mean a lot of lose chippings on the road from all the rain so watch out on the corners.  Really enjoyed the route and nice heading back to Dunmow for R&R.

« Reply #40 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:08:10 am »
Got the e-mail, all sorted thanks.

« Reply #41 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:27:36 am »
 :o :o :o :o

(whereabouts is that lane thing that doesn't look like a road?)

« Reply #42 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:04:49 pm »
I reckon that is Hundred Lane near Langham.

I've ridden that previously and it looks like it used to be a road and is now a path and just a but overgrown with stuff falling and washed onto it, nothing terrible though.

« Reply #43 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
Yer, the pics are showing it after a lot of rain.  But all ridable on 23mm tyres  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 28 June, 2016, 02:57:24 pm »
The only complaint about Hundred lane I've had [also on the new Flitch Bikes 200, now Richard Ellis Memorial route] was about nettles overhanging the lane. It has a reasonable surface though. All the 'off-road' is ride-able on narrow-ish road tyres. The Sudbury railway path, Walton to Clacton coastal track/concrete road and the Wivenhoe trail are some of the best bits imho...a bit of light relief   :)

I'll hear the cursing back at HQ when you get to 'The Only Hill in Essex', though  ;D

« Reply #45 on: 30 June, 2016, 04:00:26 pm »
Looking forward to this with a little trepidation as it will be my first 400 but just wondering what is the best station for Dunmow? Stansted seems the obvious choice but I have a feeling they don't allow bikes on the Stansted Express?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #46 on: 30 June, 2016, 05:55:43 pm »
If they throw you off beforehand its straightforward navigation from Bishops Stortford too; a bit further from Tottenham Hale!
(Assuming you're going from London)
Or get on a London-Cambridge train from Liverpool St and don't worry about the revenue inspection agent.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:49:26 am »
...what is the best station for Dunmow?

One train an hour [the Stratford one I think] to the Airport does allow bikes. Exiting the airport is a bit of a pain.

Cambridge trains would be my preferred option to either Bishops Stortford [direct main-road route or skirt round to the SE via Hatfield Forest] or Elsenham [nice country lanes and brings you into Dunmow on the north side for the start at Churchend].

Braintree, via the East Coast line works well too. Distances to Dunmow from those stations all about the same: 8-10 miles.

« Reply #48 on: 02 July, 2016, 03:54:47 pm »
Photos uploaded to Google for all to view. Feel free to use them as you please.

Kingdom of the East Saxons 400 Riders

I felt much better about taking the pictures at the start compared to the end last time.

« Reply #49 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:26:22 am »
Many thanks to Tom and the ACME crew for putting on such a great event.
This was my first 400 ride, and it was the perfect introduction to that distance. It was made all the more interesting when 5k in, my chain snapped and my well used chain tool, decided this was the one time to bend instead of moving the pin. I am forever indebted to the ACME rider who came back to lend me his splitter so that I could carry on (I'm sorry, but I forgot your name).
The pasta and hour's nap back at the hall was much needed at 1.30am, strangely I developed a bit of a sore throat and a 200 a day wheeze in the morning, so it was just survival mode from then on, but I think I stumbled back just after midday.
Once again, many thanks to the ACME crew.
All the best, Paul.