Author Topic: Bikepack saddlebag for aero seatpost?  (Read 1692 times)

Bikepack saddlebag for aero seatpost?
« on: 30 March, 2020, 04:41:51 pm »
Does anyone know of a bikepack-style saddlebag that will fit an aero seatpost - in this case a pre-2017 Cervelo S3.

Just took delivery of a Topeak Backloader 10l and the velcro strap is nowhere near long enough.  I could bodge it but I'm not inclined to do so unless there is absolutely no alternative.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Bikepack saddlebag for aero seatpost?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2020, 05:19:01 pm »
The Tailfin would be one option. Their details include "The rubber grip fits to any seat post (including deep aero) with no risk of damage."

https://www.tailfin.cc/

I've been using the AeroPack X with much success.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2020, 05:48:03 pm »
Carradice Backpacking Seatpack looks to have long straps . I spoke to some one on a ride, (remember those days )  that had one fitted to an aero seatpost & they were very impressed with it .
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2020, 06:29:49 pm »
Thanks both!

The Tailfin is unfortunately out as it requires an (albeit lightweight) custom pannier rack.  I'm specifically after something that hangs just from the seatpost and saddle.

The Carradice looks like a really good product but maybe a bit bigger and heavier that my for my needs.  Difficult to tell whether the strap is long enough from the pic (the Topeak looked plenty long enough on the web-page!) - the Cervelo seatpost is ridiculously wide so not an "average" aero one.

EDIT: On reflection the Carradice looks pretty good.  I've emailed them to check on the length of the seatpost strap.  I like the idea of the metal support which reduces sagging and sideways wobbling.

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2020, 09:50:55 pm »
I like the idea of the metal support which reduces sagging and sideways wobbling.
Another option:
Alpkit Koala, and exo-rail
Hardly needs a seat rail strap at all

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:04:26 pm »
I like the idea of the metal support which reduces sagging and sideways wobbling.
Another option:
Alpkit Koala, and exo-rail
Hardly needs a seat rail strap at all

Interesting!  Their demo video suggests that if you use the exo-rail then you don't actually need to use the seatpost strap at all, and it's actually removeable!

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:55:03 pm »
Double sided velcro straps can be very useful for replacing or extending short straps.

I recently bought a few metres of this:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VELCRO-Brand-ONE-WRAP-Double-Sided-Hook-Loop-20mm-10mm-Cable-Tidy-Straps/233171636105
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:36:02 am »
I've got a Restrap bag, which should work for you. 

See this video.  You might or might not need a piece of double sided velcro to extend the inner fastener which basically holds things in place while you do up the main outer fastener, but the outer jobbie is very long and should have no problem going around an aero post.  The holster & bag design then means you can leave it attached to the bike while taking your stuff with you when you stop.

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:57:28 am »
Great suggestions. Reckon I'll get sorted with one of these. Ta!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:43:53 am »
i was gonna suggest restrap, their stuff is nice

I have a Lomo (which isn't that great but it is cheap) can measure strap diameter if you like.  It's on a 27.2 atm

« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:37:36 pm »
i was gonna suggest restrap, their stuff is nice

I have a Lomo (which isn't that great but it is cheap) can measure strap diameter if you like.  It's on a 27.2 atm

That would be great if you get a chance - thanks!