Author Topic: Gravel Tro Breizh  (Read 6147 times)

Re: Gravel Tro Breizh
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2023, 02:58:53 pm »
Sealant and tubes = don't carry sealant (I have no idea why people do this), carry one spare TPU tube etc.

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2023, 03:30:04 pm »
Sealant and tubes = don't carry sealant (I have no idea why people do this), carry one spare TPU tube etc.

Surely it depends on the length of the event? For 1+ week races, I would carry sealant and a spare tube. Probably could ditch the tube (it's a peace of mind thing!), but I would want some sealant in case I needed to top up the tyre.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2023, 04:29:15 pm »
A big part of it is definitely having the skill to be able to make up the time by going fast on the descents, like that other English guy.  If you don't have enough mountain biking experience, skill, and nerve, then your average speed stays low - even if you really push the climbs.  Also walking downhill must use more energy than riding / rolling, so slower descenders lose all ways.  That's my experience anyway!

It's hard to know how difficult / technical a lot of these events are before you actually ride them.  Accounts by top riders can make them sound easy, because they are reasonably easy if you have the skill.  Your account, and pictures, was really valuable as it gave a realistic assessment!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2023, 05:37:42 pm »
gravel is (is it still?) a trendy word and many call any unpaved surface gravel. i ended up in such a trap once, 3/4 of the route was mud and sand. finished the ride battered and bruised and made a mental note to steer clear of such events. well done reaching cp1.

« Reply #29 on: 06 May, 2023, 10:31:06 am »
Ha ha!
If you only learn one thing from an event it's probably worth it!

« Reply #30 on: 06 May, 2023, 10:54:31 pm »
With regards to learning from an event; during the pitiful three days I hacked it out there, there was a lot of new kit that was tested; not least the bike! Bermuda simply doesn't put things to the sniff test. Therefore it was a shakedown in many respects.
So, in case its of any use to others....
Flat mtb sandals with sock options and some dayglo lightweight waterproof booties were superb. Strip off and strap over saddle bag when not in use to dry. Ideal.

Saddlebag  Swift zeitgeistt  Super, Roomy quick access,  the QR rack did shake loose a couple of times  on the washboard course and had to be tightened up.

Tires. Rene Herse 55mm were flawless. I'm new to this kind of terrain but they took a beating and I don't think lost any psi. Set up tubeless. Endurance casing. Shed mud on the tarmac quickly. They didn't roll as fast as the RH gravel 44mm I generally use, no surprise there.

Bolt on Frame bags. Didn't notice them all ride so that's good! Kept heavier stuff in them like electronics and spares.

Fork mounted water bottle, got a ton of mud all over it despite facing backwards and set high. Everything got mud all over it!   Easy to reach on the go. A cover/cap next time.

Gearing. I had a big range. 48/11 Rarely used and  I did manage to put the chain over the cassette once so tended to roll  one or two up from the small cog.
Baby gear was 32/46. I'd have taken another, but it was almost walking/wading by then anyway. A few pounds off the bike would have made that light gear ideal.

Diamond rack/gramm front bag. immaculate. It has a portal at the back where I threaded all the k-lite wiring through and lpacked inside a mesh pocket at the back inner of the bag. It does mean you can't whip the bag off, but I chose to use a musette for portaging stuff to and from the bike. We have some rando bags on some other bags that are pretty clunky. we will be replacing them with these.

Seido fork,  had multiple mounting points and I put a cage on the LHS to stow my tent. The Thru axle is actually loosened on the RHS so I didn't want the cage in the way of having to take a wheel off, plus my bottle on the other side worked for my right handed grab.
The tent likely got wet at the bottom there ploughing through deep puddles but I either was too tired to notice or it dried out before I used it.

I had a set of three ass savers, front rear and down tube. All behaved well, don't weigh anything and I know from riding today without them they kept a lot of crap away from the rider and the drive train.

K-lite was great, but the new model had no road option so its a gravel number and a bit of a search light. I did get flashed once on the tarmac by an oncoming car. There is no dip switch on this new version. It kept the wahoo, rear light running via the dinamo too.

I had aero bars with remote switches which were good for the transition zones but would consider nixing them next time to save weight and make it easier to thread the bike through fallen trees etc.

infinity saddle. Did as best as it could. No chamois cream but baby ointment. My rear end too a real hammering due to the parcour but if Id been on one of my old saddles Id be a hot mess. As it is I have jock rash anyway! Likely my inexperience off road. It wasn't a case of the saddle feeling like barded wire, it was always a relief to get back in the seat. Id have been in dire straights a day or so longer, but again, its the jack hammering of the route and not the saddle.

My sleep system was luxuriant. A roomy tent, silk/cotton liner. blow up mattress, blow up pillow, a nano puff jacket, and a quilt. I slept well once the race buzz receded. I couldn't sleep well in the woods in a bivy and no pad. On the likes of TCR/road races I'd take less and shoot for paid accommodation, but on a parcour that's in the woods and unrideable at night I didn't want that stress, It was all lightweight gear but does add up and has bulk.
I used everything I took apart form spares and some full fingered gloves.
Hope that may be of use to someone.

often lost.

« Reply #31 on: 09 May, 2023, 01:50:54 pm »
Hello Morbihan,
Sounds like a tough ride this year. Well done for giving it a good go. Did you have a lot of rain?
I took part in the event last year and I agree it is hard. I found the cold especially difficult the first few days, especially when trying to sleep and when riding in the early hours. I was on a hardtail with a rigid fork and I'd tried hard to leave stuff at home that I could do without. The majority of the riders were on gravel bikes though.
If and when you feel you want to experience another part of France on a multiday offroad ride, we have the "la grande traversee de la creuse" close to where we live (https://sitesvtt.ffc.fr/grandes-traversees/la-grande-traversee-de-la-creuse/). I could be persuaded to come along no problem. If you want another stab at an organised event there is the "Gravienne" (https://www.gravienne.fr/). The rides are shorter than the GTB.
Bonne route

« Reply #32 on: 09 May, 2023, 04:13:27 pm »
Hello Morbihan,
Sounds like a tough ride this year. Well done for giving it a good go. Did you have a lot of rain?
I took part in the event last year and I agree it is hard. I found the cold especially difficult the first few days, especially when trying to sleep and when riding in the early hours. I was on a hardtail with a rigid fork and I'd tried hard to leave stuff at home that I could do without. The majority of the riders were on gravel bikes though.
If and when you feel you want to experience another part of France on a multiday offroad ride, we have the "la grande traversee de la creuse" close to where we live (https://sitesvtt.ffc.fr/grandes-traversees/la-grande-traversee-de-la-creuse/). I could be persuaded to come along no problem. If you want another stab at an organised event there is the "Gravienne" (https://www.gravienne.fr/). The rides are shorter than the GTB.
Bonne route

Thankyou!
 Thats very kind of you to send those links and I'll give them a good look over once home. (I ship out back to Bermuda tomorrow)
I'm still a little stung by the experience TBH. I guess I was envisaging lots of bumpy farm tracks rather than the WW1 Trench warfare that unfolded.
It had rained a lot in prior days, so lots of standing water  on the hiking trails.
Well done on getting round the course last year. Frankly Im not sure how riders do it in the time. I didn't follow the event very closely after I bailed and made tracks back to the start, but I did note that the first rider came in at 4days 14hours.
I wasn't cold on my 3 days out there but I snagged a hotel outside Vannes night one. It was cold and raining that night. I rode through a massive storm at the bottom of the Villaine, (not long past our house as it happened) Rolling thunder, loads of hail and the trails were rivers.
Night 2, I camped in the woods but had a substantial set up. It was pretty chilly in the small hours but I didn't feel it! Yeah I wouldn't want to head up the Mont D'arre with no bag/mat/bivy.
I'm still a hot mess from the few hours out there in truth. Rashes, chaffing, chest infection, UTI, jeez, must be getting old. Looking forward to getting back and seeing the doc for a bomb.
The Creuse valley is beautiful. A popular area for some of the impressionist painters, which is my game.
I'll take a good hard look at the parcour before I dare foray out again on an event though.
We have a trip in a few weeks rolling along the Loire drinking wine and staying in B&B's. Thats just about my ticket right now.
often lost.