Linked Events

• Golden Pootle: 08 November, 2008

Author Topic: The Second Golden Pootle, 8/11/08  (Read 27294 times)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
Re: The Second Golden Pootle, 8/11/08
« Reply #175 on: 08 November, 2008, 07:11:21 pm »
I actually kept up with you all this year!  :o  :)
Another good ride, and the weather was not as bad as I had expected. I spoke some Gaelic too!
 :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #176 on: 08 November, 2008, 07:46:43 pm »
Just arrived back and demolished a plate of fish & chips.

A very good ride, as ever. A little moisture early on and then pretty good, with a lovely bit of sunshine after lunch. We went to a Jamie Oliver Themed Pub, in which his books were on sale, the veg apparently came out of his garden and even the landlord had changed his name to Trevor Oliver. The food was a bit on the pricey side, but my turkey twizzlers went down a treat. :thumbsup: It was lovely to meet new YACFers, Her Welshness and Dasmoth being the two, although Sue and Emily the Lurker were also in attendance. It was also lovely to see LMM out - her first post-Gus forum pootle?

People say that Essex is flat, but there are a few little-known facts about the alpine area we visited today. Firstly, it's hilly, and from one or two of the vantage points there was a very fine view towards Cambridge. Secondly, I've heard it said that some of the hills in Essex are the highest point at that latitude until you reach the Urals (now that would be a pootle to remember). We were the slowest but at a moving average of 9.5 mph it wasn't too bad!

There was a pair of buzzards being mobbed by carrion crows at one point but I didn't see any other especially noteworthy wildlife apart from a few flocks of long-tailed tits. On the way home a hare ran alongside the car for a couple of hundred yards, keeping pace with us at 30 mph.

Many thanks to Mike for leading us round. I know this ride has been my idea both times it has run, but it's not easy to lead a ride when you are invariably the slowest person on it. :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #177 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:12:13 pm »
The 'especially noteworthy wildlife ' you may've missed was  just as we came into (I think) Elmdon.

Mike was giving us the "..... and round this area you quite often see deer......" bit when, bang on cue,  no more than 50 metres ahead of us, three or four of them broke cover and took their chances crossing the tarmac - doing a fair impression of Bambi when he/she  ??? discovered the low coefficient of friction associated with ice.

Mike's words  suddenly became almost spooky  :o

Aside from which I had a very fine time - the mizzle failed to dampen my spirits, and the autumnal colours contributed to lifting them on several occasions.
Thanks to all in whose company I spent time today - lovely to see some people I've not seen in a while (some maybe not since the last Golden Pootle).

Can I put my name down for the next one?

Special thanks to Wow and Mike for the impetus and organisation  :thumbsup:

« Reply #178 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:20:35 pm »
I had such a great time. Fab to be out on the  bike again, meeting new people, and enjoying the glorious north Essex countryside and its Norman* churches. And trying out my limited Gaelic, which to my great happiness is still understandable after a good couple of decades  :thumbsup:

*According to Mike. Who makes up his tourist guide info. Don't believe a word the man says  ;)

« Reply #179 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:32:04 pm »
Thanks for a lovely day Mike, that was a great ride (and also to Wow for suggesting it). Lovely roads and a nice pretty route with few hills after lunch which was just as well, the pig I made of myself. I was lucky enough to spot the deer  :thumbsup:

I was fairly determined to get out today once I realised I hadn't been on a decent ride since the 100k in the Chilterns at the end of September - just commuting. So I donned my waterproofs and pedalled down to Liverpool st where I was met by the London yacf contingent.

There was a slightly worrying moment when I got mud splattered all over me including my right contact lens but the rain that came next appeared to wash my eye out fairly satisfactorily (am sure opticians don't recommend this and said contact lens is now in its case disinfecting.)

Food at the pub was very good; I do recommend the Chocolate Nemesis to chocolate lovers.

It was great to meet some new faces. I rode home part of the way with LMM before peeling off to go over Lambeth bridge.

Was greeted effusively on my return by the dog. She has now been on her evening walk and I am in my fleecy PJs eating cheesecake while she snores in her bed  :thumbsup: I feel knackered; am even less fit than usual but never mind, I had a great time.

« Reply #180 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:37:33 pm »
Smashin' ride - great company. The waitress really was as mad as a sack of cut snakes. My highlight was the afternoon winter sun bouncing off the wet roads to make them look like rivers of gold - that's what it's all about folks...

« Reply #181 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:41:40 pm »
Was greeted effusively on my return by the dog.

Jazz paws? ;)

« Reply #182 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:45:52 pm »
Hooligan!

« Reply #183 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:49:25 pm »
Was greeted effusively on my return by the dog.

Jazz paws? ;)

Oh yes!

(Seriously, she jumped up and waved her paws about in the air for a bit. I just need to teach her to balance on a rack while doing so.)

And what is the bloke on the left doing in that photo of Wow?!

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #184 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:50:44 pm »

« Reply #185 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:56:45 pm »

And what is the bloke on the left doing in that photo of Wow?!

I think he's doing the ticket machine.  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #186 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:57:40 pm »
Everyone else has said it really. Good route, good company, weather didn't spoil it at all. Exciting bit round Debden when Lewis Hamilton turned up.

Riding back in the dark was just as good - as I said to Mike, if you can't see the hills, they aren't there, and the roads were so quiet for most of the way back to the edge of our housing estate. Only 91 miles, so del trumps me easily - I really ought to go out and do a few more to make the ton, but there's no chance of that ;D

« Reply #187 on: 08 November, 2008, 08:59:27 pm »
Well done that man  :thumbsup: :)

« Reply #188 on: 08 November, 2008, 09:04:38 pm »
Great ride  :thumbsup:

I've uploaded the few photos that I took.

Here's a few for anybody who can't be arsed to clicky the linky:

LittleMissMac & Yellow wotsit

Mike, Chalotte & Chris

Sue & HerWelshness

ToKaMak in the foreground, as the roads dried after lunch.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #189 on: 08 November, 2008, 10:42:11 pm »
Hi guys!

Can I just say a big thank you to Wowbagger and Mike (and JT and others for backmarking as well) for making it such a good ride.

Sue was very impressed - particularly as she did not feel hurried and that it was a great pootle! Lovely scenery, attractive villages and the pub stop was a great choice. When I walked into the pub the (scary) waitress said to me 'you know you have mascara running down your face'.  :-* ::-)

Apologies to everyone for my very loud swearing, it was after encountering that awful sports car, I did not have the opportunity, like wowbagger did, for saying 'SLOW DOWN TOSSER'.

I tried uploading my pictures (without success) will try and link from my evil facebook. For now, a glass of wine and comfort the cat who is hating the fire works : (

« Reply #190 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:13:15 pm »
When I walked into the pub the (scary) waitress said to me 'you know you have mascara running down your face'. 

Everyone was very kind not to say to me "you appear to have slurry running down your face". I dread to think what it was, but I wiped it off quick, along with the running mascara  ;D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #191 on: 09 November, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
Good to see you out on the bike again LMM.

:thumbsup:

H

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #192 on: 10 November, 2008, 11:09:16 am »
What an excellent day out. Great company, a lovely route and the weather was pretty good too. Shame about the rude barking old waitress at the pub but the food was nice.

Here are my photos:

a great mind thinks alike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #193 on: 10 November, 2008, 11:26:02 am »
Stripy! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #194 on: 10 November, 2008, 11:33:26 am »
Very good pictures! Sadly, we didn't take any, being at the back all day. However, we've downloaded three of those. Guess which ones? ;)

« Reply #195 on: 10 November, 2008, 11:59:56 am »
"Powerful" thighs.  :-[

Love the socks pic, and particularly the final one of the Wows, happily tandeming through the soft autumn sunlight. Glorious.

« Reply #196 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »
Join the club. It's better than being a stick insect.  ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #197 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:12:58 pm »
Join the club. It's better than being a stick insect.  ;)
I agree ;)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #198 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #199 on: 10 November, 2008, 05:11:33 pm »
I'm a sturdy girl and proud of it  :)

What was it Andy Gates said to Liz over at the other place?

Something along the lines of:

Your thighs are your engines.  Love them like a chav loves his Astra.

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk