Author Topic: Essex pub NIGHT RIDE  (Read 59554 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Essex pub NIGHT RIDE
« Reply #75 on: 01 May, 2008, 03:02:12 pm »
Bodybuiders' steroids are not the same as decrepit old gits' steroids.

I guessed that might be the case, but surely the steroids bodybuilders take are NOT intended for bodybuilders?!!!!

I rather thought they were...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #76 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:09:59 pm »
I thought they bought dodgy cattle steroids from Mexicans with big moustaches? Or is I being thick  :-[

I do know that EPO was specifically developed for pro cyclists though  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #77 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:13:09 pm »

I do know that EPO was specifically developed for pro cyclists though  :thumbsup:

EPO?  I don't think they serve that at The Hurdlemakers, IPA possibly.  EPO might be one of those seasonal beers.

« Reply #78 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:46:21 pm »
I'm getting all excited about this ride now. It's been all doom and gloom at work this week, but I had some really good news today, so will be able to enjoy the ride and a few shandies  :thumbsup:

Myself and Erron will be at yours at 7.30 tomorrow OD, if that's still the plan?

I shall be packing waterproofs  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #79 on: 01 May, 2008, 04:49:05 pm »
I'm getting all excited about this ride now. It's been all doom and gloom at work this week, but I had some really good news today, so will be able to enjoy the ride and a few shandies  :thumbsup:

Myself and Erron will be at yours at 7.30 tomorrow OD, if that's still the plan?

I shall be packing waterproofs  :P

Top banana!

« Reply #80 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:55:22 pm »
Ah okies, I guess I might join Woolly's contingent. I'll drop him a line.

Are you London boys (or any potential gurls :P ) still up for it?! If so, that would be cool!

Why not save yourselves a whole bunch of arse and get the train out of the smoke to Chelmsford? (EDIT: For about 6ish +)  We can meet you at the station and ride over to Witham to pick up Oscars and then head to WM (via some places that sell magic potions) and arrive at The Hurldlethingies for 9 pm. And then Ale.

Late trains always run back to London from either Witham or Chelmsford....

Let us know if you fancy it.......

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #81 on: 02 May, 2008, 01:56:59 pm »
I've had my performance enhancing drugs but I can't see any enhancement of my performance yet. My hands bloody hurt from the slightest uneven surface.

What time are we planning to meet at the Hurdlemakers? I might get a cheap day return to Wickford and go from there.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #82 on: 02 May, 2008, 01:58:31 pm »
Wow, the plan was to meet at The Hurdlemakers at 9pm. Hope you can make it.

« Reply #83 on: 02 May, 2008, 03:59:45 pm »
RAR! The weekend starts now (4pm, Friday). I'm outta here, see you on the road, or more likely, at the bar...

Erron.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #84 on: 02 May, 2008, 07:16:13 pm »
Well, I'm getting the 7.28 to Wickford and cycling from there.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #85 on: 02 May, 2008, 07:17:56 pm »
Yippee!  See you later Wow

« Reply #86 on: 03 May, 2008, 01:48:40 am »
And bloody good it was! Reports and pics later.  :thumbsup:

Edit: here's the pics, CLICKY. going to bed now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #87 on: 03 May, 2008, 02:38:03 am »
I thought long and hard about this ride. I had hardly been out at all during the preceding week, I had suffered arthritic attacks which had rendered me unable to climb the stairs, and here I was thinking about a 40-mile round trip just to have a few pints. It would be madness.

I set off at about 7.25, intending to catch the 7.28 train as far as Wickford. At least that would knock about 10 miles off the journey, but when I arrived at Prittlewell station, there was a problem. Prittlewell is manned only until 1 p.m. and normally by Councillor Dennis Garne (Lab, Kursaal Ward) but there were two reasons why Councillor Dennis Garne was not there. Firstly, it was after 1 p.m. and he had gone, and secondly, he is no longer Councillor Dennis Garne, having lost his seat by a mere 6 votes on Thursday. There was a third problem: the "Permit to Travel" machine was blocked with coins, so I resigned myself to getting on the train without a ticket.

Shortly before the train arrived, a powerfully built young man in a football supporter's hat turned up and was about to put a coin in the machine. I warned him that it was out of order, so he responded in the traditional manner by thumping it very hard indeed. The results were as spectacular as they were unexpected, as coins spewed all over the platform. I reckon he must have made at least £4 on the deal, in 20p and 10p coins.

The train journey was uneventful. I alighted at Rayleigh instead of Wickford, thinking that it would help me avoid riding up a long hill, and set off towards Battlesbridge. There were a few annoying drivers around, a significant proportion of them in BMWs, but once I crossed the Crouch so the traffic thinned further and the last 9 miles or so involved very few cars travelling in either direction.

I arrived at the Hurdlemakers Arms just after Oscar's Dad, Bobb & Tokamak and we settled down for a good evening's drinking. Our arrival at 9 p.m. coincided with the majority of customers finishing their meals, so we ordered a round, sat down and started nattering about life, the universe and everything. OD gave us a quick account of his experiences as a school governor, we had another pint and discussed a few other issues and then it was my round.

This was rather entertaining because I took a young lady's virginity. It transpired that she was normally "kitchen staff" and had never pulled a pint before. The landlord showed her how it was done and very soon four glasses filled with Might Oak "Simply the Best" bitter appeared, quickly followed by a pint of Abbot for Delthebike. Then I ordered the crisps and finally a pickled egg. This last presented problems as the pub didn't sell them and really it was only down to OD being an awkward bugger.

As might be expected, the conversation turned to politics and the different parties' prospects at  future General Election. By this time OD was grandiloquent. Even though the status of Boris Johnson as the next London Mayor had yet to be confirmed, we were all in no doubt about the result. OD then surprised us all by declaring that he would bet that David Hamilton would be the next Prime Minister, that Gordon Brown hadn't got a chance because his media appeal was rubbish, and that an entire jar of pickled eggs was hanging on the result. Bobb is nobody's fool and shook hands on this deal, so unless David Hamilton has a quick change of career, Bobb will be the proud owner of a jar of pickled eggs. We considered the Viper in Mill Green, famed for its pickled eggs, as the next venue for the Essex Boys' Cycling and Drinking Club. This is about 15 miles closer to London so it might attract some of the lily-livered London types who spoke about coming out to play this evening but instead sat in to watch the election result.

Del and I set off from the pub at around 11.30 and cycled back towards Southend. We used the Flambirds Farm track and disturbed a dog or two, and a barn owl, but the rest of the journey was very quiet and uneventful. I arrived home to find the back room light and television entertaining each other while Mrs. Wow slumbered in a chair, her knitting slumped limply in her lap.

« Reply #88 on: 03 May, 2008, 08:39:32 am »
I very nearly bounced off Woodham Mortimer again as I got through Bicknacre. I decided that the road I wanted was the next right. So I took the turn but after a half mile I got it into my head that I was wrong and did a U turn. Looking at the route in Tracklogs this morning I have found that I was right and had I continued It would have saved me a longish climb, into Danbury, and a twat in an orange Ferd, one of the sporty new ones that Top Gear would like, ST(?). Anyway I gave the driver and his Neanderthal companions the finger and grimped onwards. Had I not turned onto the A414 I could have possibly met the North Essex contingent who had stopped, not far on, at the Generals Arms. This is at the peak, more or less, of the dreaded North Hill! Although I think they stopped 'cos it's a pub and bobb, TOKaMaK and Oscars Dad get pulled in by a strange magnetic attraction to pickled eggs.

At the pub, first one there, I got a pint in and waited. About 15 minutes later bobb, TOKaMaK, Oscars Dad and Wowbagger appeared. Beers flowed and talk turned to politics, pickled eggs, pubs, next pub ride*, pickled eggs, David Hamilton, politics, Boris and pickled eggs. Quite how OD decided that David Hamilton, that lovable, tiny, Radio 2 DJ, was going to be the next Prime Minister I don't know. But it looks like bobb has a jar of pickled eggs on the back of it!

After taking a few more pics, CLICKY, outside Wb and myself headed for home via the (not closed and gated) Flambirds track. How Wb can tell a barn owl from something else I don't know but I saw a flying thing that must have been an owl, what other birds are mad enough to be up at that time? As we neared the farmhouse the dogs started barking. As we got closer and could see the dog, a gold coloured retriever type, Wb said it was a good boy. At that point the dog decided it would be fun to charge Wb and run along beside him. Not having any pickled eggs to offer or throw at the dog it was told to sit, which it did. Apart from a couple of drunks around Rayleigh it was very quiet after that. Very light traffic, not surprising at that time in the AM.

Thanks to all for the company and to OD and Wb for the idea and arranging.  :thumbsup:

* The next ride may be the Viper, Mill Green, where they do their own pickled eggs.

« Reply #89 on: 03 May, 2008, 11:49:21 am »
A very fine evening indeed  :thumbsup:

Is there an official government advisory level of pickled egg consumption? Because some day soon I'm going to living off them  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #90 on: 03 May, 2008, 04:19:12 pm »
You can learn much on a YACF / ACF ride ...

1.   David Hamilton is not leader of the Conservative Party, that dubious honour falls to David Cameron, a fact I knew before I started sinking pints of Mighty Oak Simply the Best, but forgot during the sinking process.  The point I was struggling manfully to make was that David Whatever His Name is likely to become our next PM based on the fact that he has a pretty wife, is good on the telly, rides his bike to work and tragically has a disabled child, which will get him some sympathy votes.  I will get Bobb his jar of pickled eggs after the next General Election but not before.  Diddy David Hamilton might become PM – stranger things have happened.

2.   North Hill through Little Baddow is a massive hill and makes even the fittest rider very tired.  Therefore it was a necessity that we stopped at The Generals Arm at the summit of said hill for a rest.  If we hadn’t I might not be typing this now.

3.   The Viper, Mill Green is clearly a pub worthy of a visit on some future ride.  Not only do they apparently make their own picked eggs, but they also have their own cycling club.  TOKaMaK thinks the club might be defunct now but apparently there are still local riders to be seen wearing the club shirt which has “If found return to The Viper, Mill Green” on the back. 

Given my sense of direction is only matched by my ability to hold my ale I impressed myself by getting home just before 1am.  I parked my bike in the kitchen and headed for bed.  According to The Current Mrs R I smelt of beer and sweat which is how every chap should smell after a good Friday night.

Many thanks to the merry band that turned up.

My photo of the merry band:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #91 on: 03 May, 2008, 04:48:12 pm »
Just found three pickled egg recipes!!!

« Reply #92 on: 03 May, 2008, 05:11:21 pm »
Just found three pickled egg recipes!!!
And here's a link for removing the gaseous emissions. Plus another link for activated carbon filter pants.

Nice headgear OD.  ;)

« Reply #93 on: 03 May, 2008, 08:54:45 pm »
I will get Bobb his jar of pickled eggs after the next General Election but not before.

Good  :thumbsup:

Myself and Erron stopped at The Viper this afternoon for a pint or three...... And some pickled eggs!! Unfortunately, they didn't have any of their home pickled jobbies and Peter (the landlord) was quite apologetic about this.

We did however press the young barman to enquire to his boss as to the next availability of such fine eggs.

We'll probably end up there tomorrow to find out!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #94 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:37:28 am »
I will get Bobb his jar of pickled eggs after the next General Election but not before.

Good  :thumbsup:

Myself and Erron stopped at The Viper this afternoon for a pint or three...... And some pickled eggs!! Unfortunately, they didn't have any of their home pickled jobbies and Peter (the landlord) was quite apologetic about this.

We did however press the young barman to enquire to his boss as to the next availability of such fine eggs.

We'll probably end up there tomorrow to find out!!

Well done chaps.  Thank you for thinking of me  ;D

Today I am going to have a go at making my own pickled eggs, I am even going to devise my own recipe!  Unfortuately The Current Mrs R has banned pickled egg making from "her" kitchen so I will have to use a camping stove in the garden  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #95 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:38:04 pm »
As a direct consequence of Friday night I have carried out my threat and picked my own eggs!  Read all about it  HERE.

The camp stove ran out of gas so I had to use the stove in The Current Mrs R’s kitchen (I’m pretty damn sure its mine as well)  She was very good about it in the end.  The smell has nearly gone now  ;D

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #96 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:38:25 pm »
If I'd have known pickled eggs were involved I'd have been there.

A trip to the Viper would be a definate for me as I'm only a couple of miles away
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #97 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:44:43 pm »
If I'd have known pickled eggs were involved I'd have been there.

A trip to the Viper would be a definate for me as I'm only a couple of miles away
Only imaginary pickled eggs were involved as the Hurdlemakers didn't have any real ones.

What is the Viper like in the evening? I went past yesterday, just after lunchtime, but didn't see bobb or TOKaMaK or I would have gone in, and it was full to the rafters with ramblers.

« Reply #98 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:56:50 pm »
Didn't make it today unfortunately.

At the weekend there are always cyclists consuming beer  :thumbsup: You also get your rambler types every now and again (but not as often as cyclists) You also get people of little class but lots of money turning up in their fancy cages. In general though, most people who frequent The Viper are friendly and sane.

In the evening it's more or less like any other country pub (particularly at the weekend) ie a mixture of people, but never too busy to get a table.

During the week it is somewhat quieter, but this is often a good thing as banter will flow between complete strangers  :)

They sometimes have live folk music on a Friday night, which is very entertaining and not too in your face, so it could be ignored if needed to be. There are many Wowbagger lookalikes on these evenings  :P

I think the next Essex pub ride should be to The Viper. First Friday in June?

« Reply #99 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:06:35 pm »
Date and place is good for me.