Author Topic: B+M luxos U bulb gone  (Read 4092 times)

Ben T

B+M luxos U bulb gone
« on: 27 May, 2017, 11:37:57 pm »
My b+m luxos U has suddenly stopped working... it's not the external connectors or the dynamo because it's rear leds still come on and the rear light which is plugged into it still comes on. Just the bulb. Can it be repaired?
If so how?

Re: B+M luxos U bulb gone
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:40:57 am »
It probably can't repaired.
In fact, STVZO lights are designed not to be user-repairable, usually by gluing the casing shut so it breaks if you try to get in. That's because a change of LED will probably change the light distribution so it no longer meets the specs.
It's also just as likely that the fault is in some other component than the LED "bulb" itself.

Return to B+M if within guarantee, replace by something more reliable (like an Edelux 2) if not.

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2017, 10:38:21 am »
Can that have a b+m rear light connected to it using the same connectors as to connect the b and m rear to the b and m front? In other words, would there be any soldering faff with switching makes?

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
According to the SON product page, it's got one 2.8mm spade terminal and one ring terminal.

SJS list a suitable cable using coax flex, with 2.8mm terminals at the other end. Solder, crimp, or pay eight quid look like your choices.

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:34:03 pm »
Cheers. Any other opinions on whether edelux II is better than luxos U welcome.
I quite liked how the luxos has an LED to show that the rear light is drawing current (but could maybe live without it) has the edelux got anything like that?

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:42:45 pm »
Certainly more reliable, and more bike bling, but pricier, no USB, and only marginally better lighting AIUI. FWIW, I'm saving my pennies for an Edelux ii for my planned long-distance dyno setup; I've seen too many reports of B&M's indifferent build quality online. Though admittedly the lights on my town bike (Eyc and topline plus?) have been fine for about three years, and they stay outside in all weather.

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »
According to the SON product page, it's got one 2.8mm spade terminal and one ring terminal.

SJS list a suitable cable using coax flex, with 2.8mm terminals at the other end. Solder, crimp, or pay eight quid look like your choices.

You get one of those in the box when you buy the edelux, so no soldering faff, just wiring faff required.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2017, 01:27:46 pm »
Certainly more reliable, and more bike bling, but pricier, no USB, and only marginally better lighting AIUI. FWIW, I'm saving my pennies for an Edelux ii for my planned long-distance dyno setup; I've seen too many reports of B&M's indifferent build quality online. Though admittedly the lights on my town bike (Eyc and topline plus?) have been fine for about three years, and they stay outside in all weather.

On the topic of B&M production generally

I've got 2 Cyos, a Luxos and an IQ-X

The oldest Cyo (2008?) is still reliable, never gone wrong.  The second Cyo has been solid too.  These lights have magnetic switches so the insides are completely isolated

The Luxos is a replacement.  The first one conked out after about a year, I've detailed this elsewhere on yacf.  I always thought it was likely to go wrong because it is so complex ( battery, external switch, light sensing, USB power out )  but this happened rather quicker than I expected.  Now on a "mark 2" of the same light which I got under warrantee

The IQ-X has a weirdy feature (or "fault" ) that it doesn't come on immediately but other than that has been reliable.  It is very much simpler than the Luxos but doesn't have a magnetic switch

Previously I have had an older B&M light, the IQ Fly and this was prone to intermittent problems in the wet.  But it never failed completely.

I have two rear lights, a toplight and a seculite.  The  Seculite went wrong once during a 400 which was a pita but apart from that ok.  The toplight has been fine.  I've had seculites since 2007, one was destroyed in a crash

All in all the Cyo is probably the reliable one.  I believe this has the same optics as a Edelux

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2017, 01:54:51 pm »
^ The above is similar to my experience.  In order of appearance, starting in 2010, across various bikes we've got:

2x original Cyo R
2x 4DToplight Multi
Original Cyo
Cyo T Premium
2x IQ-X
Toplight Line

(Also a Lyt that came with a new bike, which I sold on before it got any proper use.)

The first Cyo R suffered broken plastic at the bracket mount, after about 9000 miles of fairly rough use (nasty alloy hybrid fork, bad roads, more than a little COR).  Electrically it's fine.
The 4DToplights have benefited from a squirt of switch lube in the switch every couple of years (a known water ingress failure point), but otherwise work fine.
One IQ-X had the won't-switch-on-unless-you're-moving fault from new, replaced under warranty.

Otherwise they've been completely reliable.  It's still early days for the second IX-Q and the Toplight line; I keep injuring myself and haven't had as much opportunity to ride that bike as I'd like.

I reckon the current price, performance and reliability sweet spot is the Cyo Premium.  Avoid the battery-powered rears.

(There are also some Spanninga rear lights:  Two dynamo Pixeos and a dynamo Brompton rear light.  They all suffer from excessive optimism about the mechanical durability of the standlight capacitor legs.  A generous blob of hot glue helps.)

« Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2017, 08:51:21 pm »
The second Cyo has been solid too.  These lights have magnetic switches so the insides are completely isolated
Are you sure?
I've never previously seen any mention of the Cyos having magnetic switches likr the Edelux has.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 29 May, 2017, 05:59:32 pm »
The second Cyo has been solid too.  These lights have magnetic switches so the insides are completely isolated
Are you sure?
I've never previously seen any mention of the Cyos having magnetic switches likr the Edelux has.

I read it somewhere, but this was misinformation as these photos show https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/12234?page=2
The body rotates and this pushes a cheap looking slider switch.  No magnets are used

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 29 May, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »
On the Senso models, the difference between 'on' and 'senso' is whether the hole in the switch ring lines up with the light sensor.  That might be what you're thinking of

Ben T

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2017, 08:53:44 pm »
Well I bought it from rose bikes almost exactly 3 years ago,  they gave me a pre paid label to send it back, and the only option was "refund". So I'll see whether it materializes...in the mean time I've ordered an edelux.

Samuel D

« Reply #13 on: 29 May, 2017, 09:48:07 pm »
An Edelux II, I hope?

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »
Oh yeah, edelux ii

Ben T

« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2017, 08:25:54 am »
Well I bought it from rose bikes almost exactly 3 years ago,  they gave me a pre paid label to send it back, and the only option was "refund". So I'll see whether it materializes...in the mean time I've ordered an edelux.

Update
Result: full refund!

I can thus definitely recommend buying from Rose Bikes in Germany if you ever want to buy a b+m (or probably any) light. Excellent service to just give a refund after 3 years.

Meanwhile the edelux II has arrived and been fitted.

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2017, 12:37:13 pm »
Same experianece here. Bought a Luxus U from Rose, it failed after four years.
I returned it, got a full refund and bought another, later, version from Rose with the refund.

The new version has quite a few design changes.

« Reply #17 on: 16 December, 2020, 04:51:49 pm »
Sorry to dig up an old thread........but, my Luxos U has failed a few times on todays commute, will turn on  only to go off a few minutes later. Used daily night and day.

Bought 2013. Expired then?
Cheers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 16 December, 2020, 04:56:24 pm »
Given its age, I would assume that one is a goner and just replace it with something more reliable. There are now more dyno headlight choices with >50 lux.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #19 on: 16 December, 2020, 06:35:23 pm »
Just transferred a Cyo IQ from another bike. Perfect.
Luxus U served it's time.