Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625218 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2575 on: 02 December, 2012, 07:15:39 pm »
Yep. Ours is now a Trigger's broom Dyson. It's great that they are serviceable, and that all the parts are readily available and (generally) not too expensive. It's not so great that so many bits of plastic are quite fragile and do break  :(

« Reply #2576 on: 02 December, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »
My scalp has hardly itched at all lately, & there's no sign of redness or the other familiar signs of psoriasis (luckily both mild & absent from the rest of me), but it very recently started smelling a bit rank, however much I washed it. Obviously, not something one wants. So I dug out the long-unused anti-psoriasis shampoo, & used it two days in a row.

Smell's gone. It's another bloody symptom. Damn! I'd rather have the itching. Looks as if I'll have to start using the shampoo regularly for the first time in about three years, at least until spring. Getting out in the sun usually effects a seasonal cure.

PS. Just realised I still have the topical steroid liquid I was prescribed when it got painful. It had an almost miraculous effect. My lack of need of regular use of the shampoo dates back to then. I wonder if it's still usable? I hope so.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LindaG

« Reply #2577 on: 02 December, 2012, 10:01:34 pm »
You're not the only one having hair trouble Bledlow. I found another big bald patch yesterday. This explains why the plughole is blocked.  Sigh.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2578 on: 03 December, 2012, 11:55:37 am »
Fireworks are great fun, but not in the street at quarter past two in the morning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2579 on: 03 December, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »
Spokes are very useful plug hole de-hairers. Bend the threaded part at right angles to get some grip then use the head end to go fishing, twisting and eventually retrieving nasty globs of glutinous gloop from the trap. At which point the water flows more rapidly.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LindaG

« Reply #2580 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:48:41 am »
Spokes are very useful plug hole de-hairers. Bend the threaded part at right angles to get some grip then use the head end to go fishing, twisting and eventually retrieving nasty globs of glutinous gloop from the trap. At which point the water flows more rapidly.

Thanks for your help David. All better now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2581 on: 04 December, 2012, 12:52:03 am »
Yeah, that's good to know.  At least for when extermination and sodium hydroxide crystals don't do the job.

Which will probably be tomorrow, because I gave barakta a haircut earlier.

David Martin

« Reply #2582 on: 04 December, 2012, 08:40:50 am »
Better than sodium hydroxide.. Best to mechanically remove rather than mess with nasties.

..d

« Reply #2583 on: 04 December, 2012, 09:27:53 am »
I know you only floated the idea speculatively a few weeks ago about having 25/12 day lunch round yours instead of having a family do, but you did say you would let us know. As I hadn't heard, I assumed it was still going ahead. You, of course, are free to do what you like on 25/12, but once you made the sort-of invitation, I think you were sort-of obliged to let us know it wasn't happening instead of having to be asked.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2584 on: 05 December, 2012, 12:42:48 pm »
Oy, baked spud! I pricked you six times with a 4-tined fork, so don't you go exploding in the oven on me again, right!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2585 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:00:06 pm »
Better than sodium hydroxide.. Best to mechanically remove rather than mess with nasties.

..d
Yeah, but pipes can get gungy along their length, & dragging physical obstacles out won't stop them stinking. A little bit of NaOH crystals (sold in convenient 500g bottles by Wilkinsons) added to a litre of cold water, stirred gently with a wooden spoon until dissolved (one stone two birds - sterilises the spoon - just remember to rinse it thoroughly) & poured down all the plugholes in the house does wonders.

Handle with care, of course, but as long as one knows what one's doing it's safe enough. Can't be more risky than playing in the traffic on a bike.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2586 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
I have a standard issue optical mouse, complete with forward and back buttons on the shoulders of it, which are brilliant. What is Not Brilliant is the weird grey goo that builds up around the mouse where it sits on the desk. I presume it is sweat that gets onto the desk and picks up dirt, which then adheres to the bottom of sed mouse and stops it sliding smoothly.

It's really irritating!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2587 on: 05 December, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »
I think grey goo is a mixture of skin cells and textile fluff.  Count yourself lucky that you're not scraping it off the rollers of a ball mouse.

« Reply #2588 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »
I think grey goo is a mixture of skin cells and textile fluff.  Count yourself lucky that you're not scraping it off the rollers of a ball mouse.

Ooh, I quite like doing that. Whenever I was in the Uni computer rooms, I'd degunge whichever mouse I was using.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2589 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:41:15 pm »

Ooh, I quite like doing that. Whenever I was in the Uni computer rooms, I'd degunge whichever mouse I was using.

You must have gone to a posh uni.  Our glued the mouseball covers closed.

« Reply #2590 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »
Oy, baked spud! I pricked you six times with a 4-tined fork, so don't you go exploding in the oven on me again, right!

I go mad and prick spuds at least 20 times.   Perhaps that explains why I've never had a tattie bomb.    :(

« Reply #2591 on: 05 December, 2012, 06:47:15 pm »

You must have gone to a posh uni.  Our glued the mouseball covers closed.
We had teletypes... (sorry, wrong thread)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2592 on: 05 December, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
Use a skewer, that way your steam vent holes can go right into the core.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2593 on: 05 December, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »
I stab the skins of my spuds with the end of a teaspoon which seems to work.

« Reply #2594 on: 06 December, 2012, 07:44:36 am »

I go mad and prick spuds at least 20 times.   Perhaps that explains why I've never had a tattie bomb.    :(
I don't think I, ahem, pricked them deeply enough. Today's will get a damn good pricking. I may also get round to looking for the skewers I have, somewhere. I haven't seen them since I made some kebabs for a wet BBQ in August.

« Reply #2595 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:10:15 am »
I use a sharp knife and cut a cross (ish) all the way through. With extra stabs for the really big ones. Then they don't explode even if you forget and leave them in an aga for 2 days :-[.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

David Martin

« Reply #2596 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:27:08 am »
Isn't that just chopping them into quarters?

« Reply #2597 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:28:08 am »
No, stabbing straight down, not cutting.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2598 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:35:46 am »
I listed that Tonearm at a fair price and said I'd eat the postage charges.
Saying you'll buy it, giving me a delivery address and _then_ asking if I'll drop the price is a good way to piss me off  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2599 on: 06 December, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »
Use a skewer, that way your steam vent holes can go right into the core.
I stick a skewer or two right though & leave it there. Never had one explode.