Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625274 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3425 on: 27 May, 2013, 12:25:13 pm »
People towing caravans - use the bloody main road.  I was having a nice cycle ride on Saturday from Bangor down to Bala and then over to the Llyn Peninsular, but the ride was a bit surreal on the B4501 and then A4212.  This is a smallish mountain road connecting Bala to Trawsfynydd (autocorrect wants that to be 'drawstring'  ;D) via Llyn Celyn (Tryweryn), so why exactly were there more cars and caravans on that road than when I was bashing up the A5 to Cerrigydrudion, or going back to Porthmadog on the A470?  If you want to go from Bala to Traws, go on the A494 and A470! Don't get annoyed that you are stuck behind a cyclist on a windy mountain road - if you want to go quickly, there's a main road. I can understand the attraction for motorcyclists, but if you are towing a caravan then the constant rolling terrain is not going to be the most efficient way of travelling (time or fuel).  It was otherwise a nice ride though  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3426 on: 28 May, 2013, 07:35:36 am »
- but I can't remember the last time I used a trolley rather than a basket!

A basket is boring.
A trolley allows you to perfect your technique for TheStigdoesTesco's.

Rear wheel drifts using footbrake feathering
Opposite lock steering on 180 degree turns in to the next aisle
Two wheel drifts to a halt adjacent to a checkout;in reverse.
I had to read that twice to get it - first time, I thought it must be a place in Wales!

Today's grumble - I got up early for this job, where is it? You were supposed to send it half an hour ago! Well, I suppose you did only say "It'll be ready about 7."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3427 on: 28 May, 2013, 08:08:48 am »
People towing caravans - use the bloody main road.  I was having a nice cycle ride on Saturday from Bangor down to Bala and then over to the Llyn Peninsular, but the ride was a bit surreal on the B4501 and then A4212.  This is a smallish mountain road connecting Bala to Trawsfynydd (autocorrect wants that to be 'drawstring'  ;D) via Llyn Celyn (Tryweryn), so why exactly were there more cars and caravans on that road than when I was bashing up the A5 to Cerrigydrudion, or going back to Porthmadog on the A470?  If you want to go from Bala to Traws, go on the A494 and A470! Don't get annoyed that you are stuck behind a cyclist on a windy mountain road - if you want to go quickly, there's a main road. I can understand the attraction for motorcyclists, but if you are towing a caravan then the constant rolling terrain is not going to be the most efficient way of travelling (time or fuel).  It was otherwise a nice ride though  :thumbsup:

Its a lovely road, and I agree.  I once spent a week in the cottage next to Lyn Tryweryn (Cwm Prysor Cottage), that must have been in about 1963 or 4!  Whenever I've passed there in later years, I've tried to see how the cottage has got on.  It got to nearly derelict, but the last time I stopped by it, it looked llike someone had taken it on and was improving it.  When I stayed it had a Lister generator in an old railway wagon for electricity, and a chemical toilet.  Good walking round there too, and a nice railway viaduct to walk across and look around from.
Wombat

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3428 on: 28 May, 2013, 08:49:21 am »
The coffee machine has failed! :(

Update - Machine will provide black coffee. Not good, but better than nowt.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3429 on: 28 May, 2013, 09:19:50 am »

Its a lovely road, and I agree.

So do I & I've used it many times in the car with & without a caravan in tow :demon:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3430 on: 28 May, 2013, 10:58:33 am »
Me: "Large black filter, to go, with a dash of cold water please"
Drone: "Do you want milk in that?"
Me: "No thanks, black with a dash of cold water"
Drone: "Cold water?"
Me: "Yes, cold water"

*I pay and head to the collection area to be presented with a large, white coffee*

:facepalm:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #3431 on: 28 May, 2013, 02:12:36 pm »
BBC News: please to be sending Martine Croxall to Specsavers. Bill Pertwee played Warden Hodges, not Warren Hodges.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3432 on: 28 May, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
Be about the right age: Warren Hodges

Just the wrong country. ::-)
Getting there...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3433 on: 28 May, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »
Right get this - this is RIDICULOUS: got an email today from my car ins co (Allianz) saying I haven't supplied proof of my no claims bonus and I need to do it within 7 days.
I have managed to find a copy of it, scanned it, and send it in. It was issued by: Allianz.  ::-) ::-) FFS.

« Reply #3434 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:03:00 am »
Anglian Home Improvements: Kindly to be buggering off with your spam calls. I have reported you to the - toothless - TPS. This would be a rant, but you very cooperatively gave me your address and number. (Probably 'cos you know the TPS is toothless!)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3435 on: 30 May, 2013, 09:01:29 pm »
Friend of a friend on facebook posting about your broken arm, as a student nurse you need to learn that "break" and "fracture" in relation to bones mean exactly the same thing. You might say fracture to mean "a crack" and break to mean "a total separation" (as you put it) but the first orthopaedic surgeon you try that with will give you short shrift. You might want to do some reading about it before you go back.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3436 on: 30 May, 2013, 11:09:14 pm »
Dear BBC, CS and pepper-based captor spray are different chemicals.  One is a nasty lachrymatory organochlorine compound with a couple of cyano groups which reacts with water on the moist tissue surfaces, and the other is a synthetic Capsaicinoid which binds to nerve receptors directly.  The term 'CS' is specific, and does not relate to the capsaicin spray, however much your correspondent might like it to.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3437 on: 31 May, 2013, 07:42:53 am »
Half an hour to get to Norwood Junction?  Really?  I got up in time to get the train an hour early so I could get into work before the rush.  Hmm.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3438 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:18:42 pm »

Dear The BBC,

The character on the right is not Frankenstein.  Sort it out, you muppets!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3439 on: 01 June, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »
Outside it has apparently been one of the best cycling days this year - so why have I slept through just about the whole of it? :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3440 on: 02 June, 2013, 11:56:33 pm »
Bloodsucking insects.  Please FOAD!

After the weekends FNRTTC I've got several bite marks on my legs and a large one on the side of my face which is making me even uglier than usual !

I'm not sure if this happened on the canal path during the ride itself, or the following day when Kim took me up the Crab & Winkle....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3441 on: 02 June, 2013, 11:59:18 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3442 on: 03 June, 2013, 12:03:51 am »
Ah, me too.  A couple in distinctly suboptimal places, though at least not the ankles - I have a terrible habit of scratching those to shreds in my sleep when they've been bitten.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3443 on: 03 June, 2013, 08:16:15 am »
I think whoever invented the summer cold should be made to stand in the corner and be flicked with wet towels until they are truly Very Sorry. >:(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3444 on: 03 June, 2013, 09:09:10 am »
Outside it has apparently been one of the best cycling days this year - so why have I slept through just about the whole of it? :(

Ended up being the full weekend. IOver 40hrs sleep since Friday afternoon and I woke up still feeling tired this morning ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3445 on: 03 June, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »
A buyer on eBay has left me Negative Feedback without giving me a chance to compensate for inconvenience caused by late delivery caused by me stupidly forgetting to stamp the envelope.  I'm only human and I need to be loved!  Spoilt my 100% positive 3530 points.  Now I'm only 99.8% ok.  :'(

(I've refunded and requested feedback revision).

ETA:  Now they have changed their feedback to positive.  Phew!  Thank you buyer.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3446 on: 03 June, 2013, 03:52:05 pm »
DumDum, you dumdum! Picking up the rucksack containing your trainers this morning would have: a) allowed you to go to the gym straight from work, b) provided a better receptacle to carry the laptop home.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3447 on: 04 June, 2013, 09:50:22 am »
Buying a fancy road bike and being half my age isn't enough.  Even if you're reasonably fast on it (though not as quick as the fat old asthmatic on the aged steel tourer with Carradice and a propstand ;) ). 

Really, if you want to appreciate that bike to its best effect, yuo need to be alive.  And that involves not riding down the left hand side of a moving vehicle which is indicating left on the approach to a turn.  Doing it twice in quick succession at junctions which rank among the most hazardous in London is just deeply Not Smart.

If I had a copy of Cyclecraft, I'd lob it at your pointlessly helmeted head.  Stay alive, and get to ride that bike properly, eh now?
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3448 on: 04 June, 2013, 05:58:41 pm »
A police idiot tweeted:
@MPSEnfield With the weather warming up this week, we wanted to remind you to keep your Windows & doors locked if you have an alarm please use it.

What's the point of being secure when you're dead from heatstroke?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3449 on: 04 June, 2013, 06:46:42 pm »
I rather think he shouldn't have opened Windows.
Getting there...