Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625275 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3450 on: 04 June, 2013, 06:51:48 pm »
I came home with all due despatch today, because:

• I needed to give someone a substantial some of cash in exchange for Services Rendered1, and
  • go to the doctor

I have to wait 30 minutes between blood sugar check and blood pressure check, so I am all tooled with Stuffs to pass the time.  On a whim, I examine the card I was given when I made the appointment.

It's tomorrow.

Cock >:(

1 - of the garden maintenance, you pervs ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3451 on: 05 June, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »
A police idiot tweeted:
@MPSEnfield With the weather warming up this week, we wanted to remind you to keep your Windows & doors locked if you have an alarm please use it.

What's the point of being secure when you're dead from heatstroke?
Surely they mean when you leave the house?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3452 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »
A police idiot tweeted:
@MPSEnfield With the weather warming up this week, we wanted to remind you to keep your Windows & doors locked if you have an alarm please use it.

Possibly not, a couple of years ago, in the nice, warm summer (you remember when we had them, don't you?) there was a spate of thefts from houses round us by opportunistic thiefs who just look for open doors/patio doors/windows. Quick and simple, step in and lift the first thing of value you see. Job done. Bonus points if thing of value fits in pocket so you can then shamble down the street looking as if you have done nothing and are carrying nothing.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #3453 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:14:43 pm »
A police idiot tweeted:

Possibly not, a couple of years ago, in the nice, warm summer (you remember when we had them, don't you?) there was a spate of thefts from houses round us by opportunistic thiefs who just look for open doors/patio doors/windows. Quick and simple, step in and lift the first thing of value you see. Job done. Bonus points if thing of value fits in pocket so you can then shamble down the street looking as if you have done nothing and are carrying nothing.

True, but the property stolen tended to be stuff from just inside the door, like handbags and wallets from kitchen worktops or side tables in the hall. If you are going to have the doors open whilst in the house, keep the valuables out of sight of the door.

This advice is brought to you by the fuzzy. The fuzzy is not responsible for the actions of his affiliates or of similarly employed carbon based life forms or for the tenacity and downright inability to abide by the rules of the criminal fraternity.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3454 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:22:54 pm »
@MPSEnfield just went on about security again when I mentioned heatstroke to them, so I reckon they do mean always lock your windows when in as well as out.  It's not the first time I've heard this "advice" from police.

How do they expect respect by appearing as unthinking drones with no sense of balancing security with normal life?  Or are they going to provide free aircon for everyone?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3455 on: 05 June, 2013, 05:34:15 pm »
It's not the police's job to worry about your normal life. They just tell you how to avoid being burgled.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3456 on: 05 June, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »
I hope that's satire because it's very much the police's job to help us live normal lives by giving realistic security advice and catching burglars.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3457 on: 05 June, 2013, 08:02:17 pm »
I'd be inpressed if a burglar pinched anything through my open window. But then, I'm on the second floor.

The only reason I don't leave windows open when I'm out is the danger of a pigeon getting in. I don't think even the most determined urban pigeon could pinch my laptop, but they do make a mess...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3458 on: 05 June, 2013, 09:03:40 pm »
It's a difficult one. It's a line between victim blaming and realistic "risk factors".

When we were burgled in 2005 or so we were told by the police that our "please use back door" and "please use doorbell ---->" signs were indicators of vulnerable or elderly people who were easy targets.  We were told to take them off our doors.

Great, except we started missing deliveries and people did the Sheffield thing of ignoring doorbells and banging on doors which I can't hear.  We put the signs back.  I resent that it felt more important to tell me why it was my fault I got burgled than actually attempting to deal with catching the bastard and doing something about it. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3459 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:38:02 am »
The bloody Queen on my radio again?  Good grief!  Didn't we do the whole 60 year thing to death last year?  Yes, I know it's the coronation anniversary, but really.

And is her visit to the BBC a reason to deploy wall to wall fawning across every bloody network?  It's not a big news story, and the BBC shouldn't be reporting it like it is.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3460 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:11:55 pm »
I think it's quite common for police advice to contradict fire brigade advice, too (cos an easy way out tends to also mean an easy way in).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3461 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »
The bloody Queen on my radio again?  Good grief!  Didn't we do the whole 60 year thing to death last year?  Yes, I know it's the coronation anniversary, but really.

And is her visit to the BBC a reason to deploy wall to wall fawning across every bloody network?  It's not a big news story, and the BBC shouldn't be reporting it like it is.
Is it? Isn't it? I dunno, your post is the first thing I've heard about it! (and when I saw the word "Queen" my first thought was of Freddie Mercury et al  :D)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3462 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
I assumed it was across the networks, since Jim Naughtie breathlessly informed me that Her Maj was at the top of New Broadcasting House at Radio 1 being sung at by that hip, groovy and now swingingest of poptastic teenybop stars, er, Daniel Bedingfield.

Biiiig news story.  I can only imagine how overexcited Chris Evans must have been this morning :o
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #3463 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:27:24 pm »
It's a difficult one. It's a line between victim blaming and realistic "risk factors".

When we were burgled in 2005 or so we were told by the police that our "please use back door" and "please use doorbell ---->" signs were indicators of vulnerable or elderly people who were easy targets.  We were told to take them off our doors.

Great, except we started missing deliveries and people did the Sheffield thing of ignoring doorbells and banging on doors which I can't hear.  We put the signs back.  I resent that it felt more important to tell me why it was my fault I got burgled than actually attempting to deal with catching the bastard and doing something about it.

The Police weren't blaming you for getting burgled. We all blame the thieving scumbag for beinga thieving scumbag and a lot more effort is going on the catch said thieving scumbag than is noticeable.

What the Occifer was doing was advising you what it was about your home that may have made it more attractive to the thieving scumbag. What you do with that information is your call.

Sometimes we do engage in a degree ofvictim blaming and, in my opinion, rightly so. I think that the victim who leaves their laptop/ iPhone/ TwatNav/ other shiny expensive thing visible on the passenger seat of their parked and unattended vehicle is inviting trouble.

This information is brought to you by the fuzzy. The fuzzy is not responsible for the actions of his affiliates, any similarly employed carbon based life forms.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3464 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:50:32 pm »
I assumed it was across the networks, since Jim Naughtie breathlessly informed me that Her Maj was at the top of New Broadcasting House at Radio 1 being sung at by that hip, groovy and now swingingest of poptastic teenybop stars, er, Daniel Bedingfield.

Biiiig news story.  I can only imagine how overexcited Chris Evans must have been this morning :o
He's on holiday. It was Zoe Ball. She was talking to Mark Owen about Chic.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3465 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:53:51 pm »
Better.

I think.
Getting there...

« Reply #3466 on: 08 June, 2013, 05:23:12 pm »
Microsoft.  Hotmail or Outlook or whatever it's called this week...

I know from a certain programming or logical perspective, hiding the 'forward' button under the 'reply' menu might make sense, but it has been confusing the hell out of my 74 year old mother for ages.  It wasn't broken before.  >:(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3467 on: 09 June, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »
A smartphone without a notification LED. That is all.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3468 on: 10 June, 2013, 12:42:11 am »
Quoth Sir John Betjeman, "Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!"

Thus spoke someone who had not had the dubious fortune of experiencing Swindon's somewhat idiosyncratic road network.

Now there's a place that qualifies for thermonuclear urban renewal...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3469 on: 10 June, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »
80 years on, nothing's changed -

In labour-saving homes, with care,
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair,
And dry it in synthetic air,
And paint their nails.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3470 on: 10 June, 2013, 01:07:52 pm »
Indigestion, plz to be naffing off nao. Kthxbai.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3471 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:42:15 pm »
I had bad indigestion last night & this morning, with heartburn.

A quilt cover ripped when being hung out to dry this morning. Not repairable, because the fabric is too worn. I will have to buy a new one.

A small filling fell out this afternoon. I will have to give money to a dentist.

At least, if you believe old superstitions, that's all.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3472 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:27:51 pm »
...for now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3473 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:30:44 pm »
The suns out and I'm off work all week to get some serious miles in, but for some reason I'm finding lots of reasons to do things other than get out and ride. I've fixed the bath, sorted out the addressing errors on my gas/lecky letters (third time lucky ::-)) and some other call centre stuff I've been trying to ignore, and started recording songs for youtube again.

Can someone give me a kick up the arse to get out on my bike please?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3474 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:33:21 pm »
There is a C2C ride out there with your name on it ;)