Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625181 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4250 on: 22 December, 2013, 09:17:52 pm »
Bugger! Bloody tooth. Big chunk fell off, followed soon afterwards by filling.

Dentist tomorrow. Let's see what he can do with it.
Sympathy.  Hope Dentist can fix.

<1stWorldGrumble>
Same boat about 10 days ago.  Dentist suggests RCT & crown.  Turn up some days later for RCT.  Tooth too far gone.  Extraction Sat. last.  Still bloody sore.  Annual festival of eating fast upon us and it hurts to eat.
</1stWorldGrumble>
I was worried that it'd need a crown, but on Friday afternoon I got a tooth rebuilt with white filling stuff, for a lot less money. He said he might as well do a permanent job straight away as a temporary fix, if I had the time, & the materials are now so good that teeth he'd have automatically put a crown on not many years ago can now safely & solidly be rebuilt.

Looks good. Feels good.  :thumbsup:

Result! :thumbsup:

Now just avoid trying to bite the coins in the Christmas pudding with it :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4251 on: 22 December, 2013, 09:56:37 pm »
Result indeed! A bit like Warwickshire Lad, except that my dentist isn't over-familiar, & we can chat about mutual cycling acquaintances. He & his wife met on a CTC ride.  :thumbsup:

We must spare a thought for poor TheLurker, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Euan Uzami

« Reply #4252 on: 23 December, 2013, 10:56:40 am »
so it's the law for it to be a minimum of 16 degrees in an office. I'm pretty sure it's not in mine. I've got a coat on and my typing speed is slowing down my hands are so cold.
What do I do - do I have a right to go home? Is there a whistleblowers helpline I can ring? it would please me greatly if I could get a smug government clipboard waver to come round with a thermometer and close the office down on health and safety grounds.

« Reply #4253 on: 23 December, 2013, 11:29:58 am »
Sorry, Ben, it isn't 'the law'. It is advisory.

Sounds good to me, anyway. I'll swap you 24C for 16C anyday.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4254 on: 23 December, 2013, 11:33:31 am »
Done.
It's bloody freezing here today. I'm almost tempted to fire off something hideously computationally intensive on my server farm just to warm things up a bit.

I normally tolerate cooler temperatures pretty well, but I'm really feeling it today - my feet feel colder than usual, which probably means that there's some violation of the Laws of Thermodynamics going on at ground level.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #4255 on: 23 December, 2013, 12:22:26 pm »
Sorry, Ben, it isn't 'the law'. It is advisory.

don't know about you but if it was 24C here I could just open the window.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4256 on: 23 December, 2013, 12:24:52 pm »
As soon as the sun gets round our side of the building we hit the high 20s/low 30s even in November. That's with every window in the place open, as they can only do so much.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4257 on: 23 December, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
Done.
It's bloody freezing here today. I'm almost tempted to fire off something hideously computationally intensive on my server farm just to warm things up a bit.

HCF FTW
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4258 on: 23 December, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »
so it's the law for it to be a minimum of 16 degrees in an office. I'm pretty sure it's not in mine. I've got a coat on and my typing speed is slowing down my hands are so cold.
What do I do - do I have a right to go home? Is there a whistleblowers helpline I can ring? it would please me greatly if I could get a smug government clipboard waver to come round with a thermometer and close the office down on health and safety grounds.
Union. Workplace H&S officer. H&SE. They're more likely to bring in heaters than send you all home though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4259 on: 23 December, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »
Union. Workplace H&S officer. H&SE. They're more likely to bring in heaters than send you all home though.

Bonus points for plugging all the heaters into the same phase, thobut.  Then everyone gets to go home, except for whoever was unfortunate enough to be using the lift, and the man from the electricity board.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4260 on: 23 December, 2013, 02:22:21 pm »

Bonus points for plugging all the heaters into the same phase, thobut.  Then everyone gets to go home, except for whoever was unfortunate enough to be using the lift, and the man from the electricity board.

Ferzackally what happened at our place last winter.   :thumbsup: ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4261 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:06:57 pm »
O2,

FFS, sort it out.  When you kno that you're not entitled to the money and you tell me today that you intend to take it anyway in 14 days, why do you think that I think that you are thieving scum?

Perhaps I should instruct my bank not to honour the DD as it is not for the correct amount?

I grinked O2.   Somewhat to my surprise and their credit they have done the right thing.

Thank you and well done O2.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #4262 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:11:48 pm »
I'm heading home soon. Blowing a gale out there, absolutely knackered already.

I expect to find 7 people in the house. One of them will have been shopping and cooking during the afternoon.

On arriving home there is a high chance they will expect me to leap into action and produce dinner for 8.

I don't feel like going home, tbh.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4263 on: 23 December, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »
I'm stuck at Stowmarket station.
Greater Anglia, you're so Great.

« Reply #4264 on: 27 December, 2013, 11:16:28 pm »
Bloody old inner tube. How the hell did you manage it? Survive without any holes until your valve seat is perished enough that after I patched the holes you got from Mrs B's share of that Lambrini bottle & put you back on her back wheel, your thrice-cursed valve seat blew out while I was pumping you up.  :facepalm:

Yeah, you were sitting around for years before being put in that tyre, but why didn't you split before I'd wasted time & patches on you? You had chances.

Git.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4265 on: 27 December, 2013, 11:40:19 pm »
Bloody hell.  It's easy to forget what it's like having two boys in the house.  (Well, boys in their late 20s now)
You've enjoyed their company and felt warm in observing their geeky catch up chat together - not a word of which you've understood.  You leave them to it, and turn in, secure in the knowledge that you have at least the equivalent of a loaf and a half in various breads, half a turkey carcass, most of a ham............

:facepalm:

I'll leave it there.  You know where this is going.   ::-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4266 on: 28 December, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »
The Pasty Shop at Newcastle station - £3.70 for a veggie pasty? SRSLY?  :o
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4267 on: 29 December, 2013, 05:00:02 pm »
Bloody hell.  It's easy to forget what it's like having two boys in the house.  (Well, boys in their late 20s now)
You've enjoyed their company and felt warm in observing their geeky catch up chat together - not a word of which you've understood.  You leave them to it, and turn in, secure in the knowledge that you have at least the equivalent of a loaf and a half in various breads, half a turkey carcass, most of a ham............

:facepalm:

I'll leave it there.  You know where this is going.   ::-)

You also think you've got plenty of beer in.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4268 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »
BAD EYESIGHT IDIOT!  That Bottle of "Banana Brewed Beer" was actually "Banana BREAD Beer" and the closest to a nanananana was the thought "When do I taste the Banana?
Nice enough brew but not what I wanted!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4269 on: 30 December, 2013, 12:14:09 am »
I quite like the banana bread beer but you're right, it doesn't taste like bananas. More like banana-flavoured sweets.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4270 on: 30 December, 2013, 08:06:23 pm »
I've just been let down by Penelope Wilton  :'(

I was really looking forward to hearing the short play, Hester, on Radio 4 tonight, mostly because it was to be narrated by Penelope Wilton.  Let's face it, she could read the Huddersfield telephone directory out loud and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would pay to hear it.  I mean, come on.  But now she's betrayed me:  I was shocked (and awed, but not in a good way) to hear the tale of the downfall of a Cheshire bank being told by a flat-vowelled Penelope  :o  Penelope Wilton, saying Masster rather than Marster.  I think the world just tilted a little bit.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4271 on: 31 December, 2013, 10:41:37 am »
I could be locked up in a cave in a jungle and know that today is new year's eve. How? I have woken with flu like symptoms, again!

Bodfy, sort yourself out...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4272 on: 31 December, 2013, 10:51:29 am »
I've just been let down by Penelope Wilton  :'(

Penelope Wilton, saying Masster rather than Marster.  I think the world just tilted a little bit.
Exactly how it should be said. Especially if referring to someone in and from Cheshire. My grumble is that we in the west midlands region; 90% "masster" sayers, get the inappropriate "marster" pronunciation foisted on us by BBC Midlands Today presenters.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4273 on: 31 December, 2013, 09:35:59 pm »
Of all the times for the shower isolation switch to play silly buggers, when do you think will be the most inconvenient?

Yup, tonight...  ::-)

Fortunately, the simple expedient of disassembly and reassembly appears to have worked, but it's time that I would rather have not wasted.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #4274 on: 01 January, 2014, 12:22:40 am »
I blame myself, I fancied a quiet New Year's Eve in.... and I am punished with 'kin Gary Barlow...duetting with himself. Does he ever do stuff he didn't write himself ?  Happy New Year all Take That fans.