Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625241 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4800 on: 03 June, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »
I have yet again texted *1# to 00000 and tried sending another test text.
Yet again this went to voice. GGGGGRRRRR!!!!!

I have reordered Privacy with Caller Display in the hope BT will alter the settings.
I am unimpressed.

« Reply #4801 on: 03 June, 2014, 08:33:10 pm »
Shouldn't he use this
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove wine to fix this problem ?

If only. I dreamt I was at the mac store failing to keep a straight face when they asked me if anything had been spilled on it, then they opened it up to reveal a big puddle of red wine inside...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #4802 on: 03 June, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »
Shouldn't he use this
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove wine to fix this problem ?

If only. I dreamt I was at the mac store failing to keep a straight face when they asked me if anything had been spilled on it, then they opened it up to reveal a big puddle of red wine inside...

Tell them. I told them I sat on my iPad and they gave me a new one. I'd hadn't actually sat on it. That was still a bit of a mystery, but everyone agreed they shouldn't be that shape.

My wife did remind me the other day that I discovered the structural anomaly after a trip to San Diego. The one where my plane fell out of the sky, so possibly I crushed it with the power of fear. I could have used that story.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4803 on: 03 June, 2014, 11:43:08 pm »
My Kobo touch seams to be deaded. It won't leave the 'Please charge your E-Reader' page even after charging for 24 hrs and trying all the different methods of resetting it I can find :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4804 on: 04 June, 2014, 09:33:42 am »
My Kobo touch seams to be deaded. It won't leave the 'Please charge your E-Reader' page even after charging for 24 hrs and trying all the different methods of resetting it I can find :(

TLD's did the same thing, I will see if I can find how we fixed it (fwiw the kobo support is very good, or was, and rapid)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4805 on: 05 June, 2014, 07:32:18 pm »
Bad luck, just fuck off and leave us alone, ok? We have had a whole raft of things happen, the latest is that Mrs T has lost/left her phone in a restaurant at KX. Chance of getting it back? Zero, I would say. At least she managed to borrow a phone to call me at home so I have already blocked it with O2.

Her job will be to sort out the insurance, fortunately provided through her bank (we did have CPW cover but realised we were effectively paying twice for the same thing!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4806 on: 05 June, 2014, 08:40:44 pm »
I have yet again texted *1# to 00000 and tried sending another test text.
Yet again this went to voice. GGGGGRRRRR!!!!!

I have reordered Privacy with Caller Display in the hope BT will alter the settings.
I am unimpressed.

Have posted on the BT Community Help Forum and had STUPID responses from 'Distinguished Sage', who answers every post with the same tripe and referred my post to a staff mod.

I followed instructions and emailed them.
They phoned me on my mobile. I could not answer in time.
They left no message.
I still can't receive texts.
Their fucking forum is full of disgruntled customers and BT stooges who pretend to be helpful but are nothing of the sort.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4807 on: 06 June, 2014, 01:12:57 pm »
Nice Irish chap from BT rang today. He was very helpful, checked a few things, agreed all at my end was in order.
He is raising this as a fault with the exchange; WE HAVE PROGRESS!

Got a text from BT to say phone had been fixed.
Sent myself another test text.
Went straight to voice.

GGGRRR!!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4808 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:31:46 pm »
I strongly suspect the problem is at my end but was not diagnosed by the BT bod, who, of course, never saw my equipment. I did tell them what I have.

I have had a BT Relate SMS for at least 5 years. This is still connected and received SMS texts until recently.

I have acquired these DECT handsets.

I think they are interfering with each other.

I will disconnect them singly and send test texts when David is away.

Interference between SMS capable phones is mentioned in the Relate SMS manual but not in my new phone (Gigaset 590/595) manual.

Oh well, you live and learn...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4809 on: 07 June, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »
I appear to be back in Brum.

That's it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4810 on: 07 June, 2014, 11:46:42 pm »
I strongly suspect the problem is at my end but was not diagnosed by the BT bod, who, of course, never saw my equipment. I did tell them what I have.
I have had a BT Relate SMS for at least 5 years. This is still connected and received SMS texts until recently.
I have acquired these DECT handsets.
I think they are interfering with each other.
I will disconnect them singly and send test texts when David is away.
Interference between SMS capable phones is mentioned in the Relate SMS manual but not in my new phone (Gigaset 590/595) manual.

I cured the problem.
Disconnecting Relate SMS was not enough.
Had to reset on 00000

Still not impressed by BT.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4811 on: 09 June, 2014, 12:54:20 am »

D'oh!

I should really have thought of that.

The way SMS works on a landline is a bit of a bodge - it sends a caller ID signal (without following through with a call), which an SMS-aware phone recognises as an instruction to dial the message centre and collect the message in a retro modemmy style.  Naturally, this is going to end badly if two phones try to do it at the same time...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4812 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:48:36 am »
Dear cleaner woman next door,

You cannot sing - to these ears your vocal stylings are redolent of a tomcat with its bollocks trapped in a mangle. For the good of humanity, please stop.

Now.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4813 on: 09 June, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »
Slowly boiling at my desk now the sun's coming out. If I'd remembered to bring a shirt this morning then I could take my fleece off and be far cooler :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4814 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:45:32 am »
iPad!  You charge quite happily from the gadget in the kitchen, so why in the name of Christ's soupy beard will you not do so from the one in the Great Hall?  The iPod is quite happy with the Great Hall's brand of anbarism ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4815 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:50:08 am »
1A/2A issue Mr L?

From what I remember the iPad draws more current than an iPod/iPhone and so some adaptors can't supply the current required to charge the things.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4816 on: 10 June, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
1A/2A issue Mr L?

From what I remember the iPad draws more current than an iPod/iPhone and so some adaptors can't supply the current required to charge the things.

...And it appears to be incapable of scaling back gracefully under such circumstances, presumably because it assumes the extra-fussy Apple flavour of dumb charger identification is present.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4817 on: 10 June, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »

D'oh!
I should really have thought of that.
The way SMS works on a landline is a bit of a bodge - it sends a caller ID signal (without following through with a call), which an SMS-aware phone recognises as an instruction to dial the message centre and collect the message in a retro modemmy style.  Naturally, this is going to end badly if two phones try to do it at the same time...

Don't beat yourself up; none of the BT 'experts' had enough Clue to twig.

I might have tried to be a helpful BTCare forumenger but I can't stand the place; far too much Copy & Paste and far too little knowledgeable help.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4818 on: 10 June, 2014, 04:57:05 pm »
1A/2A issue Mr L?

...And it appears to be incapable of scaling back gracefully under such circumstances, presumably because it assumes the extra-fussy Apple flavour of dumb charger identification is present.

It's all G(r)eek to me...  The one in the kitchen came with a Kindle; there may be other Kindle ones lying around.  I will go hunting...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4819 on: 10 June, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
I bought about half a kilo of cherries, nice dark, juicy ones. Everyone got home at the same time and I had some work to do. They ate all the cherries without me!  >:(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4820 on: 10 June, 2014, 09:46:39 pm »
I bought about half a kilo of cherries, nice dark, juicy ones. Everyone got home at the same time and I had some work to do. They ate all the cherries without me!  >:(

Unforgivable.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4821 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:44:43 pm »
1A/2A issue Mr L?

It's all G(r)eek to me...  The one in the kitchen came with a Kindle; there may be other Kindle ones lying around.  I will go hunting...

In simple terms, there are 2 issues:

1) Apple 'does it's own thing' with chargers.   Other USB chargers may, or may not, work with apple things.

2) Even if the charger 'talks' apple, ( including apple's own chargers ), it may not have enough Oomph for the iPad.   Apple produce different chargers for their different devices, depending on the oomph required.  Some chargers have more oomph than others.   The chargers can tell the device how much oomph they can supply, and the iPad may decide that it's just to weedy, and not play.   Size matters.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4822 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:04:01 pm »
iPad happy with Kindle wall wart & dumb extension lead - seems it didn't like the lead from the Sony wireless dongle from the telly...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4823 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:17:21 pm »
I just finished reorganisating the physical bit of the Library.  But why oh why did Dr Larrington have to tell me about the Book Crawler app ???

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4824 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:18:43 pm »
Dear vestibular system, please to be getting with the programme, you had a nice spazz on Saturday and you're doing a nice attempt at wrecking my evening...  I hope a good night's sleep will help along with remembering to nom the pharmacy while I'm at it.