Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625242 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5025 on: 17 July, 2014, 01:49:28 pm »
Oy, Kenilworth bike shop: I know how much spokes cost. Charging 80p each for a 36-hole wheel build is a rip off. I'm all for using my LBS, but that is a rather excessive profit margin. Maybe 80p for a one-off replacement, but not a whole wheel.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5026 on: 19 July, 2014, 08:41:19 pm »
Getting ready for a night on the town I decided to shave the stubble off my neck in the shower.   the razor slipped & I've now got a nice slice on the back of my neck with a steady flow of claret!   

All the plasters I can find are first aid blue ones.   It's going to look a bit daft.

And I changed the bedding earlier, to the white Eqyptian cotton stuff.   I'm going to wake up looking like a murder victim aren't I  :o
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5027 on: 19 July, 2014, 09:07:06 pm »
And I changed the bedding earlier, to the white Eqyptian cotton stuff.

This alone should have told you to leave the razor well alone.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5028 on: 19 July, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
Clicky.  No Intarwebs.  Try in the living room.  Nowt.  Try in the bedroom, where the wireless wossname lives.  Still 0 less than nothing.  Could it be, sister dear, that you have unplugged the wireless wossname, that you might use the voles it normally relies on for some other nefarious purpose?

Yes.  Yes, it could.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

« Reply #5029 on: 20 July, 2014, 10:48:52 am »
I was resting at the bottom of Col de Coppenhall this morning getting my breath back before the epic climb of this mountain.....okay its only about 100 foot but there are sections of nearly 10%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yes, I am that crap at climbing!) when a car pulled up beside me. Down the window came and forth thrust a female head: “Its good to see,” said the driver, “a cyclist in hi viz*. I could see you clearly from 100 yards back!”

I smiled to myself and made no comment to the person driving a very dark grey car which would be nearly invisible in low light. Perhaps the car should wear hi viz? Its a bit of a cheek stopping to make such a comment whilst driving such a car!

* It isn't actually hi viz but simply an orange top....the only one I have ever been able to find which fits comfortably being the fatty I am.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5030 on: 20 July, 2014, 11:08:14 am »
Bloody little bugger on a souped-up buzz-bike
Revving round the village in the wee small hours.
Redeploy the clothes-line, neck-high, choke him off:
Send him to the cemetery with no damn flowers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5031 on: 20 July, 2014, 11:57:33 am »

Ho ho, very witty. Just the sort if thing that gets Clarkson, Parris et al such a fine reputation with cyclists...

ian

« Reply #5032 on: 20 July, 2014, 12:21:54 pm »
Year seventeen of my six week house refurbishment. That's starting to grind. Main house still waiting for bits and pieces to be finished up and some final snagging, which is now a game of chase the contractors because they're on another job. The kitchen is now an empty and funky smelling space. Sort of a cross between teenager's bedroom and deused WWII facility. Lots of nasty grunk behind the cupboards that was cleaned off. On the plus side, no actual damp, just a long term flood from a blocked dishwasher, so that's one cheque I don't have to write. New floor and then kitchen should go in next week. They spent yesterday fixing the curiously random and free-ranging wiring. Of course, this puts my breakfast plan on hold.

Oh, and there's a nice scratch down the side of the car which I presume was the contractors removing the old bits of house, but could have been the usual carpark idiocy, so I can't shout at them. C'est la vie.

Because I'm not writing enough cheques, I let myself be dragged to the grand citidel of cut-price Swedish furniture yesterday. Normally, I figure myself lucky if I escape with one lamp and unnecessary green spatula (implement and colour), yesterday was a two trolley megaload of something called Besta. It wasn't ever going to fit in the car, but hey they do home delivery. It would have been nice if I knew that the home delivery option consisted of tomorrow or, erm, tomorrow, as I wasn't planning to be in tomorrow. I had exciting plans for tomorrow. Now I'm doing this.

For a bonus plus, the stupid cat has manked her eye yet again (this is the same cat that put a huge thorn through the same eye and persists in bashing the damn eyeball on every sharp corner she can find). So she's off at the emergency vets (I swear that mog is an underwriter's nightmare, she's a four legged insurance claim).

So, here I am stuck, on Ikea sentry duty. I can't even find the toaster.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5033 on: 20 July, 2014, 12:36:36 pm »

Ho ho, very witty. Just the sort if thing that gets Clarkson, Parris et al such a fine reputation with cyclists...

If you were awakened four times in a row by the same little shit on his motorbike you might get a little shirty as well.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5034 on: 20 July, 2014, 01:18:56 pm »

If you were awakened four times in a row by the same little shit on his motorbike you might get a little shirty as well.

Yep, I probably would! ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5035 on: 20 July, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »

Green ink for him, green ink for her
sending an email to the editor
Moan about the other, just look to your self
treat your apoplexy on the national health.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5036 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:32:25 am »
Dear neighbour. You're retired and mobile. That can be seen from the amount of gardening you do. You have an MPV with a big boot. It's a 5 minute drive to a very good recycling centre. So why are you such a lazy ignorant git that you have to shove your garden waste through the hedge opposite and into the farm field, where you think no-one sees it (or you doing it).   ::-) Again, git.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5037 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:35:08 am »
Dear neighbour. You're retired and mobile. That can be seen from the amount of gardening you do. You have an MPV with a big boot. It's a 5 minute drive to a very good recycling centre. So why are you such a lazy ignorant git that you have to shove your garden waste through the hedge opposite and into the farm field, where you think no-one sees it (or you doing it).   ::-) Again, git.  >:(
I would suggest that the two emboldened bits are related.

Anonymous tip-off to the council, perhaps? Most take a fairly dim view of fly-tipping .... I suspect that the landowner won't be too happy either.

« Reply #5038 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:43:17 am »
Oy, Kenilworth bike shop: I know how much spokes cost. Charging 80p each for a 36-hole wheel build is a rip off. I'm all for using my LBS, but that is a rather excessive profit margin. Maybe 80p for a one-off replacement, but not a whole wheel.

Mikes Bikes?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5039 on: 21 July, 2014, 11:33:23 am »
Why does a decent amount of interesting work come in after you've committed yourself to a series of dribs and drabs of tedious stuff?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5040 on: 21 July, 2014, 02:10:54 pm »
Nozama!  You maintain that my package is out for delivery and has been since quarter past seven this morning.  From a depot in Bromley-by-Bow.  Which is not very far away at all.

Get with the programme, you fuckhammers!  I've run out of milk, and coffee, and patience, and I need to go to the shops >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5041 on: 21 July, 2014, 02:16:19 pm »
It'll come on their way home. It always does.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5042 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »
Oh mighty purveyors of Scandic flat-packery, 23 items out of 30 is not a delivery. It's 23/30ths of a delivery. No we didn't take the other items home. The clue that there should have been thirty items is on the labels that say Item 'n out of 30' stuck to each item. That and the big list of thirty items that the driver held in his hand. Yes, you probably should search for them since I have paid for them. Yes, we're sure we don't have them. No we didn't cancel 7/30ths of the order. Really.

Cat, you are stupid. I now have to single-handedly wrestle you into submission and apply eye drops twice a day. We think she was being chased by her nemesis, the GGMFC*, and ran into the slow to react robotic cat flap, eye and cheek first. Now has the kitteh equivalent of a shiner and possibly a broken cheek.

Vets, how come you do better bedside manner than people doctors? Consistently. It can't be an accident. I'm sure British medical schools do a course in how to adopt the correct condescending, patronising manner with patients. I get sick again, I'm going to the vets even if it does cost £210 quid.

*GGMFC; giant grey monkey-faced cat. It's war and I have a water pistol.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5043 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:56:48 pm »
Vets, how come you do better bedside manner than people doctors? Consistently.

Because their patients have consistently more sharp ends and inclination to use them, obviously.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5044 on: 21 July, 2014, 05:16:37 pm »

Green ink for him, green ink for her
sending an email to the editor
Moan about the other, just look to your self
treat your apoplexy on the national health.

Doggerel suits me better, and it's free.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5045 on: 21 July, 2014, 07:06:09 pm »

Vets, how come you do better bedside manner than people doctors? Consistently. It can't be an accident. I'm sure British medical schools do a course in how to adopt the correct condescending, patronising manner with patients. I get sick again, I'm going to the vets even if it does cost £210 quid.

There is your answer - if you piss people off as a vet then you don't get paid.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5046 on: 21 July, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »

There is your answer - if you piss people off as a vet then you don't get paid.

..d

I thought it was because Brits like animals better than their fellow human beings.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5047 on: 21 July, 2014, 07:35:01 pm »
BBC, I have news for you.  In this day and age web pages can easily handle diacriticals.  For example, the composer's name is Leoš Janáček.  See how easy it is?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5048 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:23:49 pm »
fedex you bunch of lazy gits. your tracking site shows you tried to deliver my goods and left a card when failed at the time I was sitting outside my front door in my chair reading a book in the sunshine. there was no sign of either your vehicle or the card you claim to have left  >:(. it had better turn up tomorrow or I might get a little miffed .
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5049 on: 22 July, 2014, 02:36:20 am »
fedex you bunch of lazy gits. your tracking site shows you tried to deliver my goods and left a card when failed at the time I was sitting outside my front door in my chair reading a book in the sunshine. there was no sign of either your vehicle or the card you claim to have left  >:(. it had better turn up tomorrow or I might get a little miffed .

Isn't there a shite courier thread here?