Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625229 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7400 on: 03 March, 2016, 03:33:49 pm »
Damned UPS damned delivery baboon rang the bell then didn't hang about long enough for us to reach the door.  UPS phone n° leads to a voice-recog menu without anything to cover the idea of leaving a message, web site ditto. So tomorrow we have to wait in ambush for the bugger. Bah!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7401 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:23:47 pm »
Why did my new phone have to get delivered to next door? Last time I knocked on their door I got five minutes of yelling and abuse.

I don't wanna go get my phone off them and the first chance I'll get to knock at a reasonable hour will be Saturday anyway as I'm out tomorrow. The phone may as well have gone back to the depot at that rate.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7402 on: 06 March, 2016, 11:52:22 pm »
People who haven't yet mastered the 'half press to focus, full press to shoot' action that has been around ever since autonomous came along, how are you still alive?  How on earth haven't you earned a Darwin award yet, and for the sake of the rest of us not having to endure your blurry photos, could you please hurry up and get one?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7403 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:57:18 am »
People who haven't yet mastered the 'half press to focus, full press to shoot' action that has been around ever since autonomous came along, how are you still alive?  How on earth haven't you earned a Darwin award yet, and for the sake of the rest of us not having to endure your blurry photos, could you please hurry up and get one?

My parents had 6 kids before they had auto-focus cameras and don't seem to have acquired too many knacks...
(But 6 kids, 24 grandchildren and 4 great-granchildren (so far) suggest their genes might be propagating.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7404 on: 07 March, 2016, 07:43:24 am »
Once they got autofocus they stopped having kids?  Interesting...  ;D  ;D  ;D

My memories of being photographed as a child consist mostly of being told not to screw my face up like that.  Since parental photographers in the 50s still followed George Eastman's injunction to have the sun behind them, and even at midsummer in Norn Iron it's still pretty low it was their bloody fault, but they never thought of that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7405 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
My memories of being photographed as a child consist mostly of being told not to screw my face up like that.  Since parental photographers in the 50s still followed George Eastman's injunction to have the sun behind them, and even at midsummer in Norn Iron it's still pretty low it was their bloody fault, but they never thought of that.

That's the one.  And once everything was ready and everyone stopped screwing their face up at once, the photographer would inevitably discover that they'd forgotten to wind it on, and would start the focussing process again...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7406 on: 07 March, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »
And then they took another to be sure, to be sure.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7407 on: 07 March, 2016, 03:26:17 pm »
Why the bloody hell is Steve Shite In The Afternoon playing Cilla shouting and screeching her way through "What's It All About, Alfieeeeeeee"

It's not even my radio, so I can't sling it out the window.  Bah
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7408 on: 07 March, 2016, 09:42:43 pm »
well, that's something i learned new today
and I'm still alive
otoh I only rarely take photos
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7409 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:41:58 am »
Wretched menu-driven answering automata that follow an ear-splitting "This conversation may be recorded..." with a distortion-befuzzed still small voice of clam crying in the widdlerness listing the choices, then a deafening BEEP......... I DID NOT DETECT A RESPONSE and the clam returns.  This at 40 cents/minute.

Damn them to the lowest pit of Hell.

ian

« Reply #7410 on: 09 March, 2016, 03:57:48 pm »
Concur. It's like gladiatorial travel management. Give me the fucking flight. I know it exists. I can see it on other sites. And if I phone an agent, I get The Memo About Phoning Agents. I'm already a serial violator of corporate travel policies.

Shittens McKittens, I've got another five flights to book. I'll have exploded from the sheer pressure of expletives by the end of the afternoon. I can't shout them at the screen quick enough.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7411 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:19:19 pm »
Concur. It's like gladiatorial travel management. Give me the fucking flight. I know it exists. I can see it on other sites. And if I phone an agent, I get The Memo About Phoning Agents. I'm already a serial violator of corporate travel policies.

Shittens McKittens, I've got another five flights to book. I'll have exploded from the sheer pressure of expletives by the end of the afternoon. I can't shout them at the screen quick enough.

Have you no minions to deal with such tasks on your behalf?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #7412 on: 09 March, 2016, 04:34:23 pm »
Sadly not, I'm middling salary drone on mothership sub-deck 14G section 43455642565354-H. Galactic conquest is not nearly as much fun as they make it out to be. I even have to travel economy to the US (business only kicks in for trips to Tau Ceti and beyond). I mean, seriously, why not put me in a small box and post me. By Parcelfarce. Have you seen the people in economy? They're a frightening subspecies of humanity, only slightly more evolved than the lifeforms that ooze and tumble out the doors of Ryanair planes. They're the reason pilots lock the door, not terrorhats.

Technically we can use the agent minions at Carlson Wagonshit but we get charged more commision, hence the Memo. I get a lot of memos. I promised my boss I'd stop doing things that got him CC'ed on the outcome. Oh well, I'll forgo the fabulous rocking chairs of CLT and do the JFK shuffle instead.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7413 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:19:25 pm »
I received an email at work today from a Charlotte Trevillian, director of Leafcard. I don't know her, and I'd never heard of Leafcard.The email said she'd found my name on LinkedIn and guessed my email, and would I please buy a Leafcard and tell all my friends to buy one. So, I won't be buying a Leafcard (not least because they're only for London) and I hope none of my friends do either. Cheeky spammy bastards.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7414 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:55:26 pm »
Bloody Trains.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7415 on: 09 March, 2016, 11:09:46 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7416 on: 09 March, 2016, 11:14:12 pm »
It took something ridiculous to get to That London this morning.  I stopped counting after 4.5 hours.  Barakta reckons it was more like 5.

And then we had to use the Tube...   :hand:

« Reply #7417 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:38:29 pm »
6 weeks since breaking my arm, cast is off.

Neither wedding or engagement rings fit. Finger still too swollen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7418 on: 10 March, 2016, 03:54:24 pm »
It took something ridiculous to get to That London this morning.  I stopped counting after 4.5 hours.  Barakta reckons it was more like 5.

And then we had to use the Tube...   :hand:

5hr15 mins from Mordor to Euston.  That should have taken 2hr20 at most.

08:08am all looked fine on the live screens. 

08:30am Late at mordor cos taxi was late (grrrr) train to Euston has vanished and seems to be replaced with one to Rugby, we're confused and the screens are saying mostly Rugby with flashes of Euston...  We get told by staff to get on it and change at Rugby... We jump on train initially standing but I get a seat and grab one for Kim at Mordor International.  Train does indeed terminate at Rugby.

Nonsense on the screens at Rugby followed eventually by an ironic announcement saying the screens had a 'fault' which a deaf person would not have heard.  Hardly any staff to be seen at many parts of station.

5 separate sets of nonsense from Rugby staff (backup to nonsense screens and inaudible announcements) including:
* Telling us to board a train we'd just got off claiming it was going to London, it wasn't, we got told to get off 2 mins later.
* The most annoying nonsense was sending us out into the POURING rain with no shelter for bustitution some way out of the station where the bus was locked and driverless and no station staff were nearby. Driver showed up after over ten mins and didn't know his destination so we weren't getting on that. When we returned to station entrance to go "wtf" they said "oh yeah, wait here" (still in pouring rain) and were running around giggling and shouting into walkie talkies but not giving clear or coherent advice to passengers now cold wet and getting understandably annoyed... Kim went to loo and on her return other staff told us something else which basically indicated buses weren't necessary! 

Got told to get on a Virgin train which was at platform but the doors wouldn't open despite people being inside. Gave up and asked another human who told us another train to board which eventually after about 30 mins set off, but no announcements ON the train and lots of people confused cos they'd been told different things. Train was due to go to Euston but was terminated at Milton Keynes which we'd worked out would happen AAAGES before they deigned to tell us (or indeed I suspect the poor driver).

Countless lies on the screens at Milton Keynes "train from platform $Foo to Euston due in 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1, -2 minutes" before going "delayed" and then back to countdown and delayed repeatedly. We spent 30 mins in the fucking cold for that.  I could have got a cup of tea in a cafe and been WARM until a train was ready IF information had been not-lies.

Then announcement told us of train which DID appear ON platform (most weren't appearing so we knew the announcements were lies) which we boarded only to be told 2 mins later was terminating at MK so EVERYONE had to get off...  Why announce this for MK people if it's not true?  That's just going to piss people off, it pissed me off!

There were multiple instances of staff YELLING instructions from platforms at both Rugby and Milton Keynes which were not even audible to me as having happened and I couldn't hear them even when they did. Staff were mobbed so couldn't be accessed to REPEAT their info clearly, and we'd have been at the back of the crowd.

We missed a Midland train which left MK cos we were waiting for the lying boards train to arrive at our platform.  We had countless running up and down stairs and concourses cos of BAD information.

Eventually we got told of a London Euston train which was departing, we had to run to the FAR end just to fit on, and were standing all the fucking way.  The nice shop lady wouldn't let me pay for tea tho (ungrumble) and she gave away cans of juice and water to those in our area standing which was nice.

All that walking, running and standing has buggered my hips which I am going to have issues with for days.  I understand it is hard with the situation but I struggle to justify the EPIC information provision fail. They would have been better saying "We do not yet know, wait in warm places and we will update you audibly and visually at sensible times as soon as we can".

I will be writing a complaint cos I would have been even more fucked without Kim.  Had we been given sensible information, I suspect we wouldn't have travelled, but we were prevented from that by BAD information and it was easier to push onto London than try and return to Birmingham.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7419 on: 11 March, 2016, 01:45:20 pm »
Bloody Defence Information Infrastructure notwork fell over on Tuesday lunchtime and didn't get up agin 'til this morning. I only had 137 emails to deal with. I've got umptyzillion pages of YACF stuffs to catch up with and no time to do it.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7420 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »
Bloody Trains.

Related:  Bloody Knees.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7421 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »
Tea generally tastes better if a tea bag is included in the recipe, rather than just a cup of hot water :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7422 on: 11 March, 2016, 09:46:41 pm »
Tea generally tastes better if a tea bag is included in the recipe, rather than just a cup of hot water :-\

Quote from: Mark Watney
I started the day with some nothin’ tea. Nothin’ tea is easy to make. First, get some hot water, then add nothin’.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #7423 on: 11 March, 2016, 10:59:55 pm »
Witnessed through my doors spiehole my new next door neighbour dealing drugs.
I went to see what all the noise was as my youngest was asleep and there they were plain as sin handing out a taster and discussing money.
Nearly 2 years ago I spent 5 months making complaints and filling out logs and finally got the previous scum evicted. Now I get to do it all again. Oh fu**ing joy. :-[
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7424 on: 12 March, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »
Fucksake Kirsten. Making sure the fridge is shut and hasn't swung open again will a) keep the contents chilled overnight and b) stop your electricity bill going through the roof. Twat.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.