Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625231 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7550 on: 19 April, 2016, 01:54:18 pm »
Tick and Cross would be understood pretty widely I'd have thought. Green tick and Red cross if you want it to be colourful :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7551 on: 19 April, 2016, 01:55:21 pm »
There are times I hate being colour blind, not being able to tell if things are on or off or charged or not is a bit of a pain

A bit of gel can help with this, so you get bright/dim (or the presence or absence of a 3D effect if you hold the gel over one eye) to indicate state, but that's not always helpful without a reference.

I've been known to modify hardware to have proper separate charging/charged blinkenlights - it's trivial to snip one of the leads on a two-colour LED and solder another LED (perhaps of an actually different colour) across it, assuming you can get physical access (which you usually can't).  I'll happily pay a premium for chargers etc with numerical/bargraph LCD indicators rather than the hated colour-not-really-changing LEDs.

but having to try the handle on the mixed sex toilet cubicles can be very awkward  :-[

Not an issue I have (I can usually discriminate red and green, unless it's too small to have colour), but it's bloody stupid of them to use red/green rather than red/white or, you know, text.    >:(

It's the sort of thing people just don't think about.

(Ironically, I've got multi-coloured LEDs to indicate whether there's someone in the bathroom.  They flash in the level crossing wig-wag style when they're red.)
There must be smartphone apps that use a smartphone camera to do colour recognition?

When I had to hand my only pair of specs in for new lenses, I used my phone as a visual aid to get around (I'm shortsighted). It worked really well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7552 on: 19 April, 2016, 02:05:14 pm »
Our work toilets are hard to tell if occupied or not, not helped by it being dark as fuck in there with terrible lighting...

I think something obvious and big would be good for ALL toilets. While blind folk who look blind/carry a cane/have a dog get sympathy, many partially sighted folk simply don't look blind.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7553 on: 19 April, 2016, 02:05:46 pm »
There must be smartphone apps that use a smartphone camera to do colour recognition?

I used to have a rather nice one (now unsupported) that did clever false-colour to enhance discrimination, which matters more than absolute colour in most real-life situations.

And then there are things like this: http://shop.rnib.org.uk/home-and-leisure/labelling/colour-detectors.html for helping blind people choose their socks.

But it's a truism that the iPhone[1] (perhaps in combination with one of those watch things) is rapidly becoming the canonical piece of assistive technology for the visually impaired, as it's off the shelf hardware.

[1] Apple's speech interface is miles ahead of Android's.

« Reply #7554 on: 19 April, 2016, 02:10:30 pm »
Tick and Cross would be understood pretty widely I'd have thought. Green tick and Red cross if you want it to be colourful :)

That's the ticket, embossed to make it tactile

« Reply #7555 on: 19 April, 2016, 02:17:40 pm »
There are times I hate being colour blind, not being able to tell if things are on or off or charged or not is a bit of a pain

A bit of gel can help with this, so you get bright/dim (or the presence or absence of a 3D effect if you hold the gel over one eye) to indicate state, but that's not always helpful without a reference.

Gel  ??? I'm assuming this isn't hair gel. Not sure it'd help anyway I'm pretty bad, apparently we have a green carpet in the living room, it's blue to me. Mrs S has purple hair, I know this since that's what it says it on the on the box of dye, that's blue too.

Traffic lights? Nearly gave my licence back after running one on red at 50mph  :(

« Reply #7556 on: 19 April, 2016, 02:41:01 pm »
I suspect Kim is thinking of stage lighting gels. so use a coloured gel and look to see if the item gains contrast or not to aid in distinguishing colours. Obviously this requires some colour sensitivity and enough knowledge of your own sight to be able to interpret the effects.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7557 on: 19 April, 2016, 03:41:56 pm »
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

Even if your vision's completely monochromatic you could, for example, use a red gel to discriminate yellow from green, because green will go dark when viewed through the red filter.  This tends to work better for things like LEDs, which usually have a single wavelength.

Swatch books of gel samples can be obtained cheap or free from suppliers of stage stuff.  Might be worth playing around with.

My issue with traffic lights isn't that I can't tell what colour they are, it's that from a distance the green looks like a random mercury/tungsten lamp.  If it's dark, I won't always notice that there are green traffic lights until I'm fairly close (or the lights change).  Those reflective borders help, and should allow you to tell the lights apart by position.

And then sometimes, you get deliberate decoys:

(click to show/hide)

I reported this to the council a couple of years ago.  They haven't fixed it.

« Reply #7558 on: 19 April, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

Even if your vision's completely monochromatic you could, for example, use a red gel to discriminate yellow from green, because green will go dark when viewed through the red filter.  This tends to work better for things like LEDs, which usually have a single wavelength.

Swatch books of gel samples can be obtained cheap or free from suppliers of stage stuff.  Might be worth playing around with.

My issue with traffic lights isn't that I can't tell what colour they are, it's that from a distance the green looks like a random mercury/tungsten lamp.  If it's dark, I won't always notice that there are green traffic lights until I'm fairly close (or the lights change).  Those reflective borders help, and should allow you to tell the lights apart by position.

And then sometimes, you get deliberate decoys:

(click to show/hide)

I reported this to the council a couple of years ago.  They haven't fixed it.

Cheers Kim, I'll find a source and play.

Yes the red I jumped had no borders on it. They're essential if I don't want to get beeped at every light for slowing  ::-) Not that I care.

ian

« Reply #7559 on: 20 April, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »
Swimming pool. I understand you've changed your timetable (for GCSE assessments apparently, god knows what exam they take in the pool). I appreciate that you've put up a sign in reception to warn me of the fact. It's not entirely useful for those who aren't in your reception, especially as you only made the change yesterday afternoon. The online pool timetable is thataway ->

Even worse was trying to make the local free-sheet paper last twenty-five minutes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7560 on: 21 April, 2016, 10:05:39 am »
When the weather is fine
Be sure it's the time
For messing about
at the bloody accountant's all afternoon to get out the company's annual balance sheet for the fiscal ferrets.

Balls.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7561 on: 21 April, 2016, 02:34:30 pm »
Oh well, that went faster than I expected. 

Seems that the bloody inefficient Social Security failed to deduct my contributions from the company's account last year so they'll be dunning us for the lot at one fell swoop. Stupid 7w@zorz.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7562 on: 24 April, 2016, 04:42:32 pm »
I got two little grumbles:
David's PAYG Oyster card did not work today. I worked yesterday and there's plenty of credit on it.
David's iPad has no data. There's a 30 day rolling DD (which has been running for YEARS) set up but the April DD has not been actioned. Nobody at O2 seems to know why.

« Reply #7563 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:50:29 pm »
Is there a special place in hell reserved for people who produce 13A plugs with the cables coming out of the top, rather than the bottom? I now have three power supplies taking up six of the eight sockets on the multi-way on my desk.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #7564 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:55:38 pm »
Is there a special place in hell reserved for people who produce 13A plugs with the cables coming out of the top, rather than the bottom? I now have three power supplies taking up six of the eight sockets on the multi-way on my desk.

I hope there is. Hopefully the people who design plugs that are too wide to fit in between or on the end of a multi plug extension will join them!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7565 on: 25 April, 2016, 09:04:35 pm »
Like the people who installed the sockets under the floor under my desk at work - with the bits where the cables point out facing each other, making it difficult to use all four.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7566 on: 26 April, 2016, 12:33:48 am »

I hope there is. Hopefully the people who design plugs that are too wide to fit in between or on the end of a multi plug extension will join them!

That's sometimes done deliberately to ensure that wall-warts have adequate air circulation.  Because they've never heard of a kettle/radio/cloverleaf lead.   >:(

Actually, the C5/C6 connector can go directly to the same circle of hell.  It is, as far as I can tell, pointlessly incompatible.    Just use the C13/C14 FFS.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7567 on: 26 April, 2016, 11:03:46 am »
That feeling you get when you screw the crank extractor all the way in but it still drags all the thread out instad of pulling the crank off the axle . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7568 on: 26 April, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »
That feeling you get when you screw the crank extractor all the way in but it still drags all the thread out instad of pulling the crank off the axle . . .

Is that the Meaning of Liff entry for Wendover?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7569 on: 27 April, 2016, 09:10:53 am »
No but it's doubled the cost of the job and caused bruised hands . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7570 on: 27 April, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »
Virgin trains - blue text on a red background on your ticket machines? Really? What marketing moron picked that?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #7571 on: 27 April, 2016, 08:49:12 pm »
There was I, thinking how kind it was, for the railcard folk to email me to let me know I could simply renew my senior railcard online.  How thoughtful, I'll do that right now, especially as its cheaper than buying it at the station for just a year.

SEVENTY FUCKING QUID!  Er, it seems to have gone up in price a bit, doesn't it?
Wombat

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7572 on: 27 April, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »
Is that one year or three?
I renewed my Disabled Adult Railcard earlier in the year for three years, which was cheaper but still quite costly.

« Reply #7573 on: 28 April, 2016, 01:26:12 am »
That's a three year price. One year is still £30.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #7574 on: 29 April, 2016, 08:53:48 am »
What do you mean STILL £30?  4 years ago it was £20, and when I renewed for three years online the following year, it was a saving on 3x £20.  I know all aspects of rail travel have gone up in price, but that's one hell of an increase.

The first year I had to buy it at a station, as back then, you couldn't even APPLY till you were 60, thus meaning that if you wanted to travel on your 60th birthday (as surely many do, wanting a 60th birthday treat day out) you had to buy the railcard at the station on the day.  Now, they've changed it so you can apply before you are 60, as long as the start date is on or after your 60th birthday.

I need mine on my 60th birthday, as I had a meeting to attend in York.
Wombat