Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625320 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9400 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:33:06 am »
and ffs white. Why? All a bit shit, really.
Depends on your farts. Can be difficult when riding fixed.

I thought those helped fixed riding, by virtue of the jet propulsion effect.

The cyclist's prayer: Dear Lord, please just let it be gas.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9401 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »
Bike clothing manufacturers, what are you all thinking? I'm talking chamois pads here. Of all the bottom covering apparel I have only one (Condor road shorts) has a black chamois pad, all the rest: blue, orange, bright green and ffs white. Why? All a bit shit, really.

Yeah, dark brown would be better. Dark burgundy and patterned for ladies pads. It only makes sense.

I must admit, I assumed the blue was Marketing's idea to hide the period blood.   ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9402 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:43:27 pm »
Bike clothing manufacturers, what are you all thinking? I'm talking chamois pads here. Of all the bottom covering apparel I have only one (Condor road shorts) has a black chamois pad, all the rest: blue, orange, bright green and ffs white. Why?
Because no one can see it when you're wearing them?

Or am I missing something here  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9403 on: 16 November, 2017, 01:09:53 pm »
This, maybe?

Meanwhile, me own grumble is that the self-starting fluorescent tubes I put up in my office last year stay on for around a minute then go off. They do this a couple of times then come back on and settle down.  The old tubes that needed starters lasted ~15 years.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9404 on: 16 November, 2017, 02:39:20 pm »
Dear Mr Fuckerberg

I'm sure you have many thousands of users of your walled garden who are interested to know what the weather is doing in York.  I, however, am not one of them.  How many times do you have to be told that an IP address is not a reliable indicator of ICBM coordinates?

Please stop it.

Mr Larrington BSC SSC
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9405 on: 16 November, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
Not a grumble by me, but I'm sure there must have been some yesterday when the train ran straight past Letchworth, the driver said "sorry I missed my stop, I'll stop at Stevenage instead and you can take a train back from there"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #9406 on: 16 November, 2017, 05:37:22 pm »
Ticket price changed from £1,279.51 to £2,139.51

in the space of a button press.

Fuck off, cheating fuck monkeys.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9407 on: 16 November, 2017, 06:10:45 pm »
You've been bidding on 'Children In Need' stuff?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #9408 on: 16 November, 2017, 06:31:52 pm »
I wish but I couldn't afford to keep a child, they need a hutch and kibble.

Flights to somewhere cold, alas. I don't know why I bother with BA these days.

« Reply #9409 on: 16 November, 2017, 06:36:01 pm »
Clear cookies and look again. Works like magic, eh? Or, better, use a different browser.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9410 on: 16 November, 2017, 06:42:15 pm »
I don't know why I bother with BA these days.

Me neither, but they are the only gig in town for non stop to Denver.
And you really dont want to be collecting, clearing customs, and re-checking a family of 4's ski gear at Chicago.
And so we have heaps of loyalty points with them which has gotten us several Business Class upgrades on other long haul flights.

ian

« Reply #9411 on: 16 November, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
Yeah, I have a zillion miles and silver which comes with a few perks, but BA seems to be a case of ascending price and descending service these days.

This is painful because it's being booked for me and they're on a budget so, yeah, of course direct flights are more expensive, but I really don't want to add three hours or more onto a straightforward journal (LHR-PHL) to go via JFK, EWR, etc. Normally I wrestle Concur on my own. I did offer to stay Saturday evening but they wouldn't pay for another night's hotel despite the fact it'll half the price of the flight.

Oh well, wait till they see my bar bill.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9412 on: 16 November, 2017, 07:27:04 pm »
Its effing groundhog day for me.

My previous employer used AmEx corporate travel, and you had to book travel using their online robot.
This produced ludicrous routings, and all my bookings raised out-of-policy exceptions.
But they were always signed off, because everyone could see it was stupid.
It was all purchased with your Corporate Card, and you were expected to put your travel expenses on this card.
Cash expenses were deply frowned on.
You then had a fun week scanning receipts and entering them into Concur.

I'd get queries from an expenses wonk about my taxi receipt from Nigeria.
"Its not a valid VAT receipt, it hasnt got this that and the other on it..."
Seriously, dude. Have you ever gotten a taxi in Nigeria?

And now here I am in the new nut mines, and we've just rolled out Concur and been given Corporate Cards.

Still, my bar bill will be a fine test of the roll out of Concur.
Is there an award you can claim, I wonder?

ian

« Reply #9413 on: 16 November, 2017, 07:54:48 pm »
Ha, we have the same system. The travel system always thinks that leaving Stansted at 6am is a reasonable flight option for someone that lives near Gatwick. I am not convinced there is a good time to be at Stansted but I am convinced that if there were, it wouldn't be 4am. It regularly emails my boss, like a little tattle-tailing robot. We're supposed to out everything on the corp Amex too, a policy somewhat stymied by the fact most of the world doesn't accept Amex. Everyone except, it seems, our T&E policy team knows this.

To this day, I don't know know what a VAT receipt is. I asked a hotel for one once, and 15 minutes later I gave up and figured no one knows. They get a scan of whatever was given me. It's a happy day once a month I sit down with the stack of receipts and try to remember where I've been and why I went I there and what the hell was that one for?

Yes, I've had to explain that bus and 'taxi' drivers in Africa don't generally give receipts. One convenience of Uber is that it at least goes direct on my Amex and comes with a receipt regardless. And they don't con you, though that would take all the fun out of Nigeria.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9414 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:29:37 pm »
Thank you, Ian and Feanor, for reminding me just how happy I was to finally leave the corporate world last year.  It was fine when you could submit exes backed up by scruffy bits of paper torn out of a Nigerian exercise book, and a simple promise that the $50 really was needed to get a gate unlocked in some out of the way place in some godforsaken hole (and of course no receipt), or something.  But then corporate cards came along, and trust went out of the window, and exes codes on the claim form didn't remotely fit having to pay cash to hire a JCB for a couple of days in the Sinai peninsula to dig  few test pits.

I really feel sorry for the people I left behind, who have to put up with the corporate cr*p, and I wish you all the best.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9415 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:37:01 am »
We have several clients who would prefer us to use their systems in that way. Unfortunately I can never get my log-in details to work, and am forced to use the most sensible routes possible  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9416 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:26:36 am »
This exchange

Ticket price changed from £1,279.51 to £2,139.51

in the space of a button press.

Fuck off, cheating fuck monkeys.
You've been bidding on 'Children In Need' stuff?
I wish but I couldn't afford to keep a child, they need a hutch and kibble.

has earned me some very funny looks from a colleague. I have spent the last last 5 minutes bent double with laughter

Cheers :D

PostsOTD :thumbsup:

"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9417 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:49:59 am »
Back here in Mundanity Hollow, my fluorescents have finally stabilised: they won't come on at all.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #9418 on: 17 November, 2017, 09:18:40 am »
Back here in Mundanity Hollow, my fluorescents have finally stabilised: they won't come on at all.

Is there a faint aroma of bullshit as well? You may have accidentally bought the UK Civil Service variety. We're used to being kept in the dark and fed on...
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9419 on: 17 November, 2017, 09:33:22 am »
Nespresssso, lords of the use once waste mountain.  Thanks for producing more waste by sending me junk mail about your products.  If I did drink coffee your machine would be my last choice.  Bonus twat points for making it with plastic coated card that cannot go in the recycling.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9420 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:30:49 am »

Is there a faint aroma of bullshit as well? You may have accidentally bought the UK Civil Service variety. We're used to being kept in the dark and fed on...

It's probably the dogs, who are undercover Civil Servants.  They want clipboards with built-in watches for their birthday.

Anyway, back from blowing 47€ on a double-tube LED fitting, and the old one is up & running like a good'un.  Threatening recalcitrant appliances seems to have an effect.

ian

« Reply #9421 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:45:37 am »
Thank you, Ian and Feanor, for reminding me just how happy I was to finally leave the corporate world last year.  It was fine when you could submit exes backed up by scruffy bits of paper torn out of a Nigerian exercise book, and a simple promise that the $50 really was needed to get a gate unlocked in some out of the way place in some godforsaken hole (and of course no receipt), or something.  But then corporate cards came along, and trust went out of the window, and exes codes on the claim form didn't remotely fit having to pay cash to hire a JCB for a couple of days in the Sinai peninsula to dig  few test pits.

I really feel sorry for the people I left behind, who have to put up with the corporate cr*p, and I wish you all the best.

To be honest, it's not that bad, it's just a tedious task to sort through hundreds of receipts (curiously the Americans, despite being inveterate receipt hoarders, don't have to provide receipts for <$50 whereas we have to provide them for everything). I've seen the world on someone else's dime over the last few decades and all the beer has been free. Travel booking would be a lot easier and quicker if I just used Expedia, of course, and I wouldn't have to pay agency fees but someone somewhere aboard the mothership decided that yes, I should go through the steps of making my own booking, and then transfer to an agency. I could do everything a lot cheaper, but oh well, that's private sector efficiency for you.

That said, as I'm getting older I'm trying to travel less and not being very successful because most of my colleagues are American and just won't fucking go anywhere that isn't the US or Canada because they're big scaredy babies.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9422 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »
Durham Lumiere was a bit of a disappointment this time. Although after queueing for ninety minutes in the cold to get into the Cathedral, I had one of the most joyous wees of my entire life. I’m just glad I don’t have a prostate.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9423 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:44:59 am »
It seems that 38t middle chainrings for 140bcd chainsets have disappeared from the face of the earth. I've ended up buying a 36t middle and a 26t inner. Now I just hope the front derailleur can cope with a 22t jump from top to bottom.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9424 on: 18 November, 2017, 12:34:43 pm »
I hope you meant 104mm...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.