Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625418 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9450 on: 28 November, 2017, 10:26:14 pm »
It is VERY NORTY!
Suspect it's quite a deliberate ploy by underpaid cabin crew, hoping nobody will kick up a fuss about €2.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9451 on: 28 November, 2017, 11:24:14 pm »
FB has just posted this on FB:
happened to me once .. I went to the rear and asked for my change . then threatened by Steward that I was causing disruption and I would be banned from ever flying Ryanair again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9452 on: 29 November, 2017, 08:29:47 am »
3€ for a cup of aviation-grade coffee strikes me as robbery anyway.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9453 on: 29 November, 2017, 08:35:50 am »
FB has just posted this on FB:
happened to me once .. I went to the rear and asked for my change . then threatened by Steward that I was causing disruption and I would be banned from ever flying Ryanair again.
Begs the question - obviously failure to give the change is petty theft, but under which country's jurisdiction would the offence fall?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #9454 on: 29 November, 2017, 09:23:34 am »
It's complicated. Usually the country of registration, but I believe the airline may transfer that jurisdiction to the country it lands in. Plane captains are like Judge Dredd. Kind of. Though not the inflatable ones.

To be fair to the crew, they are usually busy and may simply forget. Mind you, if they lend you a pen, they never forget that. I think they'd follow you all the way to your hotel.

I'm surprised that Ryanair still accept cash, most airlines are card-only these days.

fuzzy

« Reply #9455 on: 29 November, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »
cash is easier to hide. card payments are easier to tax...

ian

« Reply #9456 on: 29 November, 2017, 04:19:03 pm »
Also less hassle with change and currency. I can't remember anyone offering cash payment (and I fly a lot, though evidently not with Ryanair). Certainly EasyJet, BA, and Norwegian don't let you pay cash. Admittedly they gave me a free beer because it wasn't cold. At all.

Not as good as the Kenya Airways service the other year, where I asked for a second beer and the steward brought me six cans. Jeez, I wanted to look at Lake Victoria not refill it.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9457 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:02:27 pm »
I am so pissed off with people trying to bully me into wearing a cycle helmet.  I'm not bothering anybody, I'm just out to have a nice bike ride, but showing up with no helmet on is like dropping steak into the shark cage.  Inevitably, people talk at me about how stupid it is to not wear a helmet, and how a helmet saved their life, and why aren't I wearing a helmet, and Ooh you want to be wearing a helmet, how dangerous it is cycling without a helmet, George came off on a corner and got his head cut off but the helmet saved his life, helmet helmet helmet helmet helmet helmet ...

After I ended up in tears on a club ride trying to explain there's a REASON I can't wear a helmet, they've actually relaxed their club rules on the novices ride to allow me to continue to ride with them (oh that's nice, being a bloody special needs cyclist, in a CTC affiliated club), but to hear them all trying to out-safe each other on how careful they are and how risk-averse and how hi-viz they are, helmet helmet helmet, I'm amazed any of them dare get out of bed in the morning.  Helmet. 

What the hell is it with people that it becomes all right to be so controlling and bossy and lecturey with someone you barely know, indeed met mere seconds ago?  It's just rude!  Leave me alone!

It's like people think they can magic the danger away by wearing the magic head amulet of polystyrene and nothing bad will ever happen.  Like nothing will drive into us, no badger will leave the hedges, no ice will form on ye potholes, for the HELMET is our shield and our armour and our crossbow and our warhorse and our flu vaccine.  And what's more EVERYBODY ELSE SHOULD DO WHAT THEY DO.  It's downright unBritish, the intrusive ill-manneredness of the whole thing.

Bah.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9458 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »
Yes.

Tell them you're wearing a cutting edge invisible helmet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9459 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:08:24 pm »
Wait, nobody told me they worked as badger-repellent.  I might have to re-think this!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9460 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:19:31 pm »
so if I don't wear one will I see moore badgers? Cool!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9461 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:40:35 pm »
so if I don't wear one will I see moore badgers? Cool!

Hasn't worked for me, unless you count dead ones :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #9462 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:59:27 pm »
I tripped over a live badger. Ran right out across the pavement as I walked home from the station. Scuffed my hand as I stumbled over. That's what happens if you don't wear a helmet.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9463 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:01:08 pm »
Most of the people who insist on telling me how wonderful magic hats are don't cycle themselves :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9464 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:18:22 pm »
It's downright unBritish, the intrusive ill-manneredness of the whole thing.

Bah.
The British are a downright unBritish nation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9465 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
That looked a lot like a full on rant rather than a grumble. Just sayin.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9466 on: 01 December, 2017, 07:52:23 am »
Wait, nobody told me they worked as badger-repellent.  I might have to re-think this!

Ah, so if I put a helmet in the middle of my lawn, will that stop the blo*dy badgers digging it up?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9467 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:23:48 am »
Turn it up t'other way and call it a birdbath.

Oh.

Hold on a bit . . .

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #9468 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:24:25 am »

Ah, so if I put a helmet in the middle of my lawn, will that stop the blo*dy badgers digging it up?

Per Mr J Carrott, there's only one way to get rid of a badger

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9469 on: 01 December, 2017, 01:21:58 pm »
Run flat tyres are the work of Stan.
Unintended 1 hr break in today’s journey courtesy of a puncture that the can of tyre gunk I carry won’t repair. This has also endeared me no end to the tyre fitter who will now get covered in said gunk. The £127 he’s charging me for the replacement should go some way to softening that irritation 😞

On the positive side, at least we’re not making this journey late evening as us our usual mo so the tyre shoppes are at lest available.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9470 on: 01 December, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »
Most of the people who insist on telling me how wonderful magic hats are don't cycle themselves :demon:
Or they're the sort of prize idiot who rides a bike at dusk to dark without lights, but wearing a magic hat. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #9471 on: 01 December, 2017, 04:18:40 pm »
Or they're the sort of prize idiot who rides a bike at dusk to dark without lights, but wearing a magic hat.
Or they have a tiny light on the rear on the seatpost, no light on the front, and pootle round town wearing a big coat that hangs down the back over the light.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9472 on: 01 December, 2017, 07:09:58 pm »
A good one too.

Oi! Cleaner Of The Room, please to be packing it in with the nicking of my plastic carrier bags.  If I've finished with them I will put them in the bin.  I hadn't because I hadn't.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9473 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:36:55 pm »

Do not antagonise Teh Ruthie. Unless you want to see a full on rant.

You have been warned.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9474 on: 02 December, 2017, 01:57:16 pm »
Or they have a tiny light on the rear on the seatpost, no light on the front, and pootle round town wearing a big coat that hangs down the back over the light.

Last week the police in Strasbourg were out stopping unlit cyclists, but instead of swingeing 11€ fines they were passing out minimalist lighting kits consisting precisely of tiny LED bobby-dodgers, with a half-dozen 3M spoke reflectors.  Shows that they're more concerned with the law than safety - I'd have no confidence, riding with those things.