Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625269 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14375 on: 25 March, 2022, 03:20:09 pm »
Self-adesive labels on wood . . . 

I had to buy a load of timber from Wickes for a carpentry job as my usual supplier a) couldn't supply all the sizes I wanted, and b) for the sizes they could supply they were much more expensive  (that's a well-known company with the initials TP)

Wickes duly delivered about £300 of PSE this morning, on time and it all looks pretty straight - BUT each pack of 4 lengths had a large s/a label stuck on the timber . . . and then when you broke the packs apart there was another s/a label on every length.   Gentle use of a heat gun and carbide scraper - and nearly an hour - got the labels off but they left a sticky residue that will have to be sanded off before I can apply a water-based stain and seal of poly.

There must be a better way to mark the timber . . .

« Reply #14376 on: 25 March, 2022, 03:25:32 pm »
Do you have at least a cash account at TP. They pull your pants down if your just general public.

I had to set up a cash account to hire a mixer. A while later went in and got a price for some fencing posts and when I mentioned having a cash account so not even credit the discount was about 60%

robgul

« Reply #14377 on: 25 March, 2022, 03:40:28 pm »
Do you have at least a cash account at TP. They pull your pants down if your just general public.

I had to set up a cash account to hire a mixer. A while later went in and got a price for some fencing posts and when I mentioned having a cash account so not even credit the discount was about 60%

I do have a TP cash account (and they do free delivery for anything) - and at Jewsons (waste of time - very limited range at the local branch), Buildbase (only sell expensive r/s treated timber and again a limited range in stuff I use at the local one) - as well as Wickes TradePro account - oh, and Brewers paint shop account too.

« Reply #14378 on: 25 March, 2022, 03:52:18 pm »
Was just checking as know how crap they can be. It's a shame as people go in once and get ripped off so end up returning to B&Q.

Unsurprisingly our TP shut down a few years back

robgul

« Reply #14379 on: 25 March, 2022, 07:25:21 pm »
Was just checking as know how crap they can be. It's a shame as people go in once and get ripped off so end up returning to B&Q.

Unsurprisingly our TP shut down a few years back

In fairness TP locally seems pretty good, depending on what you want - it seems that all of the merchants (TP, Jewson, Buildbase, Screwfix, Toolstation, B&Q, Plumb Center, City Electrical, Wickes et al) have reduced the range of items they keep . . . doubtless for all sorts of reasons related to Covid and supply chain issues.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14380 on: 25 March, 2022, 07:32:02 pm »
And indeed, using one of those cost comparison sites that my current insurer Direct Line eschews, I can get a quote that's slighlty less than my last years premium.  I may phone DL for the lols and see what they (aka UK Insurance) have to say. Certainly, going through SEAT insurance (also UK Insurance) as a new customer gives the same price give or take as DL have quoted.

Despite checking every time, I have never found DL to be cheaper, not once
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14381 on: 27 March, 2022, 08:02:42 pm »
O hai TV's Channel 4!

There had better be a good reason for your poxy webshite saying tonight’s F1 highlights were at 19:30 when the EPG on both the distascope and the memory-box say 22:30.  GBFO accidents, for e.g., or an attack by Space Nazis.

kthxbai

Edit: it's because you were still showing me last week's schedule even after poking the “Refresh” wossname.  It should default to Right Now if you do that, you useless cretinous morons!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14382 on: 27 March, 2022, 10:41:58 pm »
O hai TV's Channel 4!

There had better be a good reason for your poxy webshite saying tonight’s F1 highlights were at 19:30 when the EPG on both the distascope and the memory-box say 22:30.  GBFO accidents, for e.g., or an attack by Space Nazis.

kthxbai

Edit: it's because you were still showing me last week's schedule even after poking the “Refresh” wossname.  It should default to Right Now if you do that, you useless cretinous morons!
Wot you need is a VPN and a couple of forin urls so you can watch the race of the motor cars as it happens.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14383 on: 27 March, 2022, 11:32:38 pm »
And now a moment’s inattention has seen the memory-box go into Green Screen ov DETH Mode from switching shit on in the wrong order, which can only be fixed by unplugging the wretched thing from the mains, and if I do that while it’s recording it'll stop and not start again and I hate everybody >:(

« Reply #14384 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:51:45 am »
And now a moment’s inattention has seen the memory-box go into Green Screen ov DETH Mode from switching shit on in the wrong order, which can only be fixed by unplugging the wretched thing from the mains, and if I do that while it’s recording it'll stop and not start again and I hate everybody >:(

One thing I discovered by chance about the Manhattan box I bought after getting fed up with the flaky Humax firmware is that it does pick up recordings after a power outage - this was early on in my ownership when there were still a couple of bugs, now fixed. The only drawback is that it’s dual- instead of triple-tuner, but with all the streaming channels it’s rare that an unresolvable clash occurs. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14385 on: 28 March, 2022, 02:58:21 pm »
We are staying in a hotel for a few days and found the shower to be very hot.  The thermostatic valve went from uncomfortably hot to extremely scalding hot. So i complained.  The maintenance man came up this morning and played around with it.  He then asked what the problem was and denied any problem.  Apparently you are not meant to have cool or cold showers!
Anyway i have bought a thermometer and will check the temperature.

Similarly, why have airconditioning which only goes down to 16degC.  We sleep with the window open and a 2.5tog duvet all winter at home.  We feel as if we are sleeping in a sauna!

« Reply #14386 on: 28 March, 2022, 06:11:00 pm »
30 minutes ago a plumber turned up. Replaced the inter ale and all is fine again. Yes, he said, I have probably replaced every tap in the hotel over the last couple of years.

Why did they not just say that this morning when we first reported it ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14387 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:11:35 pm »
Similarly, why have airconditioning which only goes down to 16degC.

Presumably because the sort of people who sleep with the window open in winter don't usually buy air conditioners.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #14388 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:45:22 pm »
I got a new Bridge saddle for my baritone acoustic guitar. it's about 3 1/2 " wide, 1/2 " high and about 1/18" thick.
It arrived in a box 14" by 12" by 5". Filled with Paper for packing!
A single wind of bubble-wrap inside a standard envelope would've been acceptable.
Thomann UK, Shipped via DHL.

Conservation?, Who Needs it!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #14389 on: 29 March, 2022, 09:16:38 am »
Space in that box for a Brooks saddle!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14390 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:18:14 pm »
USAF.  Please not to be flying B-52s directly over the house at, double-oh what effing time do you bloody well think this is!? on the first night in ooooh, too bloody long when I don't have to get up at 0445 and was really looking forward to a lie in until 0600.  Gits.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #14391 on: 30 March, 2022, 02:03:39 pm »
Cancelled The Ocean at the End of the Lane the other week because I had covid. Now tonight, when we had rescheduled our tickets, they have covid. C'est la vie.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14392 on: 30 March, 2022, 05:14:44 pm »
USAF.  Please not to be flying B-52s directly over the house at, double-oh what effing time do you bloody well think this is!? on the first night in ooooh, too bloody long when I don't have to get up at 0445 and was really looking forward to a lie in until 0600.  Gits.

Don't know what it was, but something came over the house about 9pm last night that shook the rafters, very low and slow and definitely not one of those Osprey things.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14393 on: 30 March, 2022, 06:26:55 pm »
I just spent the best part of half an hour filling in a computerised council form for a new bus pass and just as I was about to complete it a message pops up saying the information has not been saved due to technical issues please resubmit the information from the beginning  ???
the slower you go the more you see

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #14394 on: 30 March, 2022, 06:30:01 pm »

Don't know what it was, but something came over the house about 9pm last night that shook the rafters, very low and slow and definitely not one of those Osprey things.

Some jet-propelled git came over rainy E17 at about 03:30 this morning.  The police helichopters are bad enough  >:(

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14395 on: 30 March, 2022, 09:08:26 pm »
Quote from: robgul
Self-adesive labels on wood . . . 
...There must be a better way to mark the timber . . .
Some balsa suppliers do this as well and on the thinner sheets (/132" & 1/20" esp) I frequently end up cutting that section of sheet out and using it as scrap/packing during builds because there's no way of removing the label and leaving the wood it is stuck to usable.  Fortunately most suppliers don't; they scribble the price in ballpoint pen and sometimes the thickness in one corner.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #14396 on: 31 March, 2022, 10:30:55 am »
I just spent the best part of half an hour filling in a computerised council form for a new bus pass and just as I was about to complete it a message pops up saying the information has not been saved due to technical issues please resubmit the information from the beginning  ???
This sort of thing really annoys me. In these days of document imaging and storage it should really just be a case of ensuring that the data held is current. The system seems to be designed to discourage applications. E.g. if you are blind its unlikely to change.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14397 on: 31 March, 2022, 03:15:12 pm »
Have to agree with Canardly.  I am convinced that the plan is to make it as difficult as possible simply to discourage applications.

« Reply #14398 on: 31 March, 2022, 06:22:45 pm »
I've just booked train tickets, for the first time in a long while.

I have to have paper tickets. Either collected or posted to me. No paperless.

FFS!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14399 on: 31 March, 2022, 06:29:37 pm »
Damned EDF website can’t cope with the load so I can’t currently submit my meter readings. I wonder if everybody is being thwarted, or if it’s just the overflow.
Perhaps I’ll send them an email with my meter readings.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.