Author Topic: Angry Steve Coogan on Newsnight  (Read 6200 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Angry Steve Coogan on Newsnight
« on: 09 July, 2011, 02:32:57 pm »
http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/07/09/steve-coogans-epic-performance-on-newsnight/

Posted in Arts and Entertainment because it is more entertainment than politics - albeit in a "wrong" kind of way.  It's so rare to see someone this fired up in an interview situation.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

CyclistsAnonymous

Re: Angry Steve Coogan on Newsnight
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »
Coogan should have punched that prick. Loved him before, love him even more now.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »
Aaaaahhhaaaaaaaa! Alan Partridge returns. You could pass this off as a new episode and no-one would suspect Paul McMullen is a real person.
I am nothing and should be everything

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »
Never been a fan of Steve Coogan but, like Hugh Grant, he's gone up several notches in my estimation as a result of this sad, sorry affair.

And yeah, if it had been me I'd have reached over the table and given that odious prick from the NotW a sound beating. I thought that Greg Dyke showed a fair amount of self-control, too.

Epic, EPIC win.

spindrift

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2011, 03:07:21 pm »
Here's a thing, the same hack who nearly got smacked by Steve Coogan wrote a story about Denholm Elliott's daughter being disturbed and depressed because of lack of parental love. Elliott's widow sued and won, but not until Jennifer Elliott, the daughter, committed suicide.

Same hack.

Low life greaseball slimy mother hacker.

Widow of Denholm Elliott accepts damages from newspaper - AP Worldstream | HighBeam Research

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:11:08 pm »
Eww.... I wish I hadn't watched that. The sheer venality of that man is disturbing.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:13:07 pm »
Fantastic performance by Coogan.  About the only thing of his I've actually enjoyed...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:14:05 pm »
Was Alan Partridge a bit near the knuckle for you  :demon:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »
I think he's still smarting from their stories about him and Courtney Love.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rapples

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:16:33 pm »
Was Alan Partridge a bit near the knuckle for you  :demon:

I think close to the bone might be the phase you were looking for

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »
The thing it made me realise was that people can have heavily enforced views even if they're utterly bizarre and wrong. Anyone who spends their time surrounded by people who agree with them can fall foul in much the same way.

Just because you hold a moral view strongly, it might just be wrong if you never challenge it.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 09 July, 2011, 05:52:54 pm »

I never touched Courtney Love...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #12 on: 09 July, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »

I never touched Courtney Love...  ;)
Probably just as well - who knows what you'd have caught ... (dunno about anyone else, but just looking at her brings me out in a rash)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:23:51 pm »
Good work, Steve.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »
That McMullen guy really is the ultimate sleazeball, isn't he? You can't imagine him ever having a wash else he'd dissolve.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »
I thought Greg Dyke was going to punch him.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 09 July, 2011, 11:34:37 pm »
That McMullen guy really is the ultimate sleazeball, isn't he? You can't imagine him ever having a wash else he'd dissolve.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier comment.

He's appeared on Newsnight many times in the last week, only to be universally reviled. Maybe he enjoys it.

« Reply #17 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:35:56 am »
What made me chuckle a bit is that right at the start Steve Coogan made the point that Paul McMullen is a PR disaster for the News of the World and other tabloids, and all his sort of behaviour on programmes like this just continues to keep the story in the press (and people like us commenting upon them).

The reason Muroch has closed down the News of the World, is in an attempt to remove the story, and it's association with News International from the public eye, and be seen to be "doing something".  If those involved just kept quiet, made no further comments, and a low profile, then the story would go away quite rapidly (at least in the news media).  It may well result in prosecutions and court cases, but there's little they can do about that now, and those in themselves will result in more media coverage, but what they can control, to an extent are their own appearances.

With nothing new to cover, the media will have nothing to broadcast, so will go and find something else to discuss, every time someone like Paul McMullen opens his mouth he gives them something to show on programmes like this, and often mind bogglingly stupid statements to show up how rancid their behaviour is.  He isn't very good at doing this sort of live event, he ended up looking gob smackingly unpleasant, he isn't going to gain any sympathy, because he doesn't appear to deserve it (at least based on that show), and he just keeps things high profile.  Any half decent PR bod would probably have told him to keep his mouth shut, and go on holiday for a few months.

Of course, it's quite possible that he doesn't give a monkey about the News of the World, and this appearance is purely an attempt to raise his profile, and appear on more similar events (presumably looking for large appearance fees), and that would seem to be entirely appropriate to his character. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #18 on: 10 July, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »
Of course, it's quite possible that he doesn't give a monkey about the News of the World, and this appearance is purely an attempt to raise his profile, and appear on more similar events (presumably looking for large appearance fees), and that would seem to be entirely appropriate to his character. :-\

I think that's a price worth paying for annoying Rupert Murdoch. We're approaching the summer recess and the traditional silly season... I imagine this story might get stretched out for a while.
I am nothing and should be everything

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 11 July, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »
Paul McCullen needs to be invited to EVERY Tv show possible to air his views on Phone Hacking.

As Coogan said, he's a PR disaster.  You couldn't invent a character more repulsive if you were trying to get the public to see the odious face of the gutter press.  He totally encapsulates it.  he doesn't think it's wrong, he enjoys the process of ruining lives, he boasts about writing titilating articles, he looks like a sleazeball Journo from a Hollywood movie and so on and so on.

I imagine his more intelligent sleazeball journo friends must have their heads in their hands when they hear him "justifying" the practice of phone hacking "Just shut up Paul...you;re making it worse" they'll be saying.

See my post on this page if you want to see McCullen trying to use the "you get £5 million pounds a film so stop moaning about having your phone hacked" justification

To be honest I think I'd just walk over and kick him in the face.  Kudos to Coogan for showing restraint.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #20 on: 11 July, 2011, 12:09:21 pm »
Paul McCullen needs to be invited to EVERY Tv show possible to air his views on Phone Hacking.

As Coogan said, he's a PR disaster.  You couldn't invent a character more repulsive if you were trying to get the public to see the odious face of the gutter press.  He totally encapsulates it.  he doesn't think it's wrong, he enjoys the process of ruining lives, he boasts about writing titilating articles, he looks like a sleazeball Journo from a Hollywood movie and so on and so on.

When they come to make the movie, Steve Buscemi will probably get the role.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #21 on: 11 July, 2011, 01:23:38 pm »
But Paul McCullen dishes up the smutty sleaze that the public want. They want to look at the underwear of famous people, and see the successful fall,  peek through the curtain at the brothel etc. Including spying on comedy celebritry Coogan shagging of piste.
As the sleazy journo says - it was all a bit of a larf... old  Chaz talking about being a tampon.
It is the tide of shite that most of the population want to bathe in - larfing right up to the moment they spot the opportunity to be outraged by it.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 11 July, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »
I'm sure if you put wraps of crack cocaine free in a Sunday Paper you'd get a lot of people wanting to buy the paper in future.

Doesn't mean you should do it.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #23 on: 11 July, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »
But Paul McCullen dishes up the smutty sleaze that the public want. They want to look at the underwear of famous people, and see the successful fall,  peek through the curtain at the brothel etc. Including spying on comedy celebritry Coogan shagging of piste.
As the sleazy journo says - it was all a bit of a larf... old  Chaz talking about being a tampon.
It is the tide of shite that most of the population want to bathe in - larfing right up to the moment they spot the opportunity to be outraged by it.

No, that's quite wrong.

It's the tide of shite SOME of the population may possibly want to bathe in.  What percentage of the population buys a "red top" paper?

On top of that, I reckon if you asked people who bought them, "Do you think journos should stop invading the private lives of celebrities?" a lot of them would say yes.

I think this whole privacy/hacking/sleaze thing is justified by the journos by a small fraction of the population.  Most are against it I suggest.  Journos seem to think everyone in the country laps up their sleazy drivel, that's just not the case, it's an illegal practice (Phone Tapping) "justified" by the desire of the few.

It's illegal, start locking them up.  McCullen may think it's a larf to listen in to the parents of murdered school children but it may lose its appeal if he's reminiscing about it from Wormwood Scrubs.

now this has strayed into Politics rather than entertainment.  I'll track the other NOTW threads in the Politics section.

People make and watch "Snuff" videos, of people being killed.  I suppose the fact that people buy it justifies it being made...it's the only logical conclusion according to c***s like McCullen.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 11 July, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »
Tabloid sales:

Sun 2.8m
Daily Mirror 1.2m
Daily Star 0.73m

NotW 2.8m
Sunday Mirror 1.1m
Getting there...