Author Topic: Low Carb food and on bike snacks  (Read 2282 times)

Low Carb food and on bike snacks
« on: 08 July, 2019, 09:21:11 am »
Hi, does anyone follow a low carb diet? And if so, what are the in-ride snacks of choice please? Options seem limited to nuts and cheese from what I can see.
All ideas and experience welcome.
Cheers

Keat

Re: Low Carb food and on bike snacks
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2019, 11:14:44 am »
I was full keto a few years ago. I worked very well for me, but it required a lot of discipline (which seems to be in short supply now).
I still generally only use low carb snacks on the bike.
Primary snack food is almonds, cheese (small blocks of cheddar individually wrapped, or hard cheeses like Parmesan) & dried sausage (South African Droewors or German Landjäger is best - that Peperami stuff is just wrong!)

For longer rides where I want to carry carry more of my own food to be independent of what I can find at the controls I take "Banting bread" made with ground seeds, eggs, with added cheese & bacon - all very high fat, low carb.

FYI: There is a Keto thread over in Health & Fitness - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67736.0

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2019, 01:22:38 pm »
Thanks. I’ll read the thread with interest.

I was full keto a few years ago. I worked very well for me, but it required a lot of discipline (which seems to be in short supply now).
I still generally only use low carb snacks on the bike.
Primary snack food is almonds, cheese (small blocks of cheddar individually wrapped, or hard cheeses like Parmesan) & dried sausage (South African Droewors or German Landjäger is best - that Peperami stuff is just wrong!)

For longer rides where I want to carry carry more of my own food to be independent of what I can find at the controls I take "Banting bread" made with ground seeds, eggs, with added cheese & bacon - all very high fat, low carb.

FYI: There is a Keto thread over in Health & Fitness - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67736.0

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2019, 07:51:37 pm »
mini pork pies. Because they taste sooooo good, and they're conveneient.

Of course they do have some carbs, but there is so much fat/protein in there that on a long ride I don't think it matters. And they keep really well, even in hot weather.

I also carry hard cheeses - which again keep well in the heat. If you get something a bit posh with some extra flavour it reduces the boredom factor.

Both of these are easily found in any/all/most retail establishments (in most countries). you can waste a lot of time looking for that perfect food at resupply points that you haven't visited before.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2019, 08:07:30 pm »
I sometimes stuff one or two Aldi Meatsters (Aldi version of Pepperami) in my jersey pocket as an alternative to almonds or Babybels.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »
My favourite audax reserve food is a great fuck off piece of brie which beautifully comes to temperature over the course of a ride.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:11:16 pm »
Pork pies, chorizo or saucisson sec have all featured as an alternative to carbs on some of my longer rides.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2019, 07:11:33 am »
Definitely pork pies.  :thumbsup:

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2019, 08:45:53 am »
I like pork pies but I’m quite fussy about quality (cheap ones can be nasty).

Bits of cheese wrapped in salami/chorizo (you can buy these ready made or make them yourself ad hoc).

Hard boiled eggs - which conveniently come in their own biodegradable wrapper.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."