General Category > Rides and Touring

Salisbury Plain Training Area

(1/8) > >>

trundle:
There are loads of beautiful lanes (metal and gravel) across the Salisbury Plan Training Area, but I don't have a lot of local knowledge.

If it is marked as not firing in here, is there still a high chance I'll find lanes closed?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-firing-times/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-firing-times-october-2022

I want to explore, and if I can find reliable routes, include it on DIY 200 audax's.

So would love to know some local knowledge. Are some lanes almost never closed? Some almost always?

matthew:
I suggest contacting Iddu and searching the Audax section for the Old Roads and Drove Roads 200km which he organises.

Hot Flatus:
I would have thought an Ordnance Survey map with marked rights of way, in conjunction with the firing times would give a good idea.  Next weekend no firing at all. Fill your boots  :thumbsup:

trundle:

--- Quote from: Hot Flatus on 24 October, 2022, 02:00:30 pm ---I would have though an Ordnance Survey map with marked rights of way, in conjunction with the firing times would give a good idea.  Next weekend no firing at all. Fill your boots  :thumbsup:

--- End quote ---

Exactly - I'm planning on cycle.travel (which you can have OS overlay for £2/month). But I wanted to confirm "no firing" might still mean the odd, or many red flags may still fly based on other folks exploring this area.

Hot Flatus:
I have ridden on Salisbury Plain on Iddu's 200k through Imber. Worth a go for the gravel tracks and undisturbed nature.

My experience of gunnery ranges elsewhere is that red flags don't really mean much as they often leave them up regardless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version