Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399941 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #776 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:16:35 am »
2 weeks in plaster- I'm now on day 5 and getting frustrated. Have been going to the gym but its somewhat restrictive with what you can do!!!

Whenever anyone accuses me of having an exercise addiction, this will be used as a contrast to show I am within normal range.

« Reply #777 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:34:40 am »
2 weeks in plaster- I'm now on day 5 and getting frustrated. Have been going to the gym but its somewhat restrictive with what you can do!!!

Whenever anyone accuses me of having an exercise addiction, this will be used as a contrast to show I am within normal range.

Yes do take it easy and let yourself recover from the operation properly - I'd hate to be your foot Lady C!
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #778 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:37:45 am »
I might pop over and challenge her to an arm-wrestle.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #779 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:38:49 am »
I've been doing cardio on the arm bike and doing upper body weights/core- my foot isn't getting used, its just sitting sleeping in its cast.

Matt, come on over I'm ready, I feel like popeye :) :)

« Reply #780 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:43:32 am »
Really enjoyed the Northants Ultra on Sunday despite (or is that because of) it being hot and hilly - only damage seems to wobbly legs and a blister. I am going to have to resist the temptation to enter anymore of these for a while or I can see myself getting slower and slower over longer and longer distances just like audax and that isn't supposed to be the plan.

8 hour 13 min for 35 miles. Report here.

« Reply #781 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:49:57 am »
I've been doing cardio on the arm bike and doing upper body weights/core- my foot isn't getting used, its just sitting sleeping in its cast.

Hmmm - maybe just sleeping, maybe worrying itself sick about what's going to happen after it's release from protective custody  ;)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #782 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »
Finally pain free. I managed a 45 minutes run today without pain in my shin, so I'm back in  business
but there are some way back to where I were 4 weeks ago.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #783 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
From the ParkRun newsletter:

Most memorable or funniest parkrun moment:   Would be my first parkrun at Crystal Palace when I ran with my then 22 month old son. I arrived at the start and asked if it was OK to run with the buggy, I was told it would be fine, but asked to start at the back so as not to get in the way of the faster runners. To the surprise of the race director and volunteers we finished the hilly course in a respectable time of 22:19 and 3rd lady.

Anyone fancy beating that?  :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #784 on: 07 June, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »
Liz Yelling does the Poole one very regularly Matt, she does usually about 18.15-18.30 whilst pushing daughter Ruby. I'd get nowhere near that pushing a buggy lol, but give me a few weeks and I'll take down the 22.xx buggy ;)

There is a lovely lady that does the Hampshire based ones with her huskies. She won the Newbury one on Tuesday in 18 mins with her doggies :)

Hows everyones running going? My plaster comes off tomorrow woohoo so might get an idea of how long till I can get the trainers on.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #785 on: 07 June, 2012, 12:36:05 pm »
I'd get nowhere near that pushing a buggy lol, but give me a few weeks and I'll take down the 22.xx buggy ;)

Don't forget to put a kid in there!

There is a lovely lady that does the Hampshire based ones with her huskies. She won the Newbury one on Tuesday in 18 mins with her doggies :)
I think we all know that the dog "runners" are actually being pulled along - especially with something like huskies  >:(

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #786 on: 07 June, 2012, 12:46:12 pm »
They are indeed, she's quite a bit faster with the huskies. The guy in 2nd who she beat on Tuesday really kicked off about it (its a parkrun FFS!!!!). The question has been asked of PSH (Mr parkrun) and he's quite happy for the dogs to run :)

I want a husky :)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #787 on: 08 June, 2012, 06:37:36 am »
I bought myself a new pair of running shoes last week, which has made life more comfortable.  I did laugh when they tried to flog me a pair of insoles to go with them for £45 though.

Still painfully slow but I can now run for one hour without stopping (I use the term 'run' loosely)

The less good news is that where I have been running to work I've been on the bike a lot less.  Planning a long pootle tomorrow though, weather forecast looks promising.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #788 on: 09 June, 2012, 02:59:33 pm »
5km walk/jog/run this afternoon (more of walk/jog, less of run)

35min 19 secs!   :thumbsup:

Tried my new running shorts too! I reckon they made me faster!   :)

Must try this parkrun sometime, although the nearest one for me is in Edinburgh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cross Training: Running
« Reply #789 on: 09 June, 2012, 04:13:47 pm »
Did my third Parkrun this morning (third consecutive week, in fact). Really enjoying it - not something I ever imagined I'd say about running.

Our local one (Whitstable) is two laps of a course that goes along the prom (eastwards) then back along the top of Tankerton Slopes - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/whitstable/course

I started doing it partly as a way to persuade my son to do some exercise in the rugby close season, and I'm pleased to say he's really taken to it.

We ride down to the start together, and afterwards do any errands we need to do in town before riding home, so that's a good ten miles cycling on top of the run. A great way to start a Saturday. Having the organisational structure and the set time and place makes it so much easier to motivate yourself to get out and do it. And my son's keenness makes it harder for me to bottle it...

First time out, I set a pace of 5min/km on my Forerunner and finished almost bang on target in 24:56. That pace felt quite comfortable, so next time I pushed a bit harder and used the easterly wind to blow me back to the finish after the turn, so I clocked 23:44, with a 4:14 final km, which I was pretty pleased with.

Didn't do quite so well today - about halfway between those two times. The wind was a stiff westerly, which made the final leg very hard work. But what's really galling is that my son beat me for the first time. And not only that, he beat my PB by 12 seconds!

Race on... ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #790 on: 09 June, 2012, 04:28:11 pm »
Being able to ride for 24hours (almost) non-stop makes it very frustrating to only jog for 40mins  >:(

Try to put a more positive spin on it...

The main reason I want to do more running is that my cycling fitness is such that I need to ride harder and longer to get the exercise benefit; I can get the same exercise benefit from a shorter time spent running (at least, that's how it feels).

d.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #791 on: 09 June, 2012, 04:28:43 pm »
Mmmm, makes my 29:22 look even more pathetic.  :-[  That was my first one though.

I'm hoping it will get better once I've sussed out the art of pacing- and getting fitter of course.

Which Forerunner have you got?  There seem to loads of the blighters.

citoyen

« Reply #792 on: 09 June, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »
Mmmm, makes my 29:22 look even more pathetic.  :-[  That was my first one though.

It's not pathetic at all! If you're running for fitness rather than racing, the challenge to run faster is purely personal and what anyone else does has no bearing on your performance. I'm quite fit at the moment, but still no "athlete" - at least not in running terms. I'm just pleased if I can beat my own time each week. I admit it does feel good to get a high placing in my age group, but that's not the important thing and not why I do it.

Which Forerunner have you got?  There seem to loads of the blighters.

405CX. I've only had it a few weeks. I think it's been superseded by the 410, but this was an eBay purchase. You have to be careful because some of the prices on eBay are very silly.

I find the Virtual Partner feature very useful for running - you set a pace and it tells you how far ahead or behind you are, both overall and per kilometre (or mile, if you prefer), so you can speed up or slow down accordingly.

I think it will take a while to really get a feel for pacing and cadence. I'm tempted to get a Footpod to help with that, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost...

Does anyone else use a footpod? Are they worthwhile?

d.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #793 on: 09 June, 2012, 05:48:17 pm »
V.nearly broke 23mins this morning. Very windy, must have cost me those few seconds  :D I'm usually almost last in my age category, but towards the front of the ladies (this is completely unplanned, I promise).

But more interestingly:
They are indeed, she's quite a bit faster with the huskies. The guy in 2nd who she beat on Tuesday really kicked off about it (its a parkrun FFS!!!!). The question has been asked of PSH (Mr parkrun) and he's quite happy for the dogs to run :)

I want a husky :)
Got stuck behind a husky (and some bloke being towed) for the first couple of km. Then when they finished, the dog tried to take out half of the finishing funnel  :facepalm:

All good fun. (If I had a tow-vehicle dog, I'd definitely go back to starting a minute after the whistle. But it's no big deal ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #794 on: 09 June, 2012, 06:03:52 pm »
I'm usually almost last in my age category, but towards the front of the ladies (this is completely unplanned, I promise).

Last week, when I set my PB, I was taking pace off a fellow runner for most of the second lap. The fact that my fellow runner was an attractive female is entirely coincidental.

d.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #795 on: 09 June, 2012, 06:08:46 pm »
The CTT have rules specifically to stop that sort of fun.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #796 on: 09 June, 2012, 06:31:17 pm »
Does anyone else use a footpod? Are they worthwhile?
I do, coupled with a simple FR60. I run mostly for fun and to keep in shape, sometimes with friends, often alone on random routes. Without the pod I would not be able to compare effort to speed which in turn gives me a clue about my momentary fitness. I like a bit of book keeping for dailymile and to work out calorie allowances, too.
That said: It does help to keep a sensible pace if competitiveness tries to get the better of good sense when running in a group.   ;)

Funny thing about it: If I wear it on the right shoe, readings are short, worn on the left shoe readings are pretty correct.

« Reply #797 on: 15 June, 2012, 05:10:15 pm »
I don't use a footpod.......

Progress for me, but its slow. Plaster is off, but things don't look very nice. I thought I would be back in my normal shoes etc but they weren't happy enough for that and I have a stupid boot thing for 6 god damn weeks, so can't drive during that time.

I am allowed to exchange boot for a cycling shoe, its too sore at the mo for clipping in and out, but I seem ok on a spin bike, clipping the shoe in and then sliding my foot in. Much better than nothing.

I reckon its going to be another 3 months or so before running. But at least things are moving in the right direction.

« Reply #798 on: 15 June, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »
I was going to post a nice picture of my foot but I can't work out how to post pictures. Boohoo

citoyen

« Reply #799 on: 16 June, 2012, 10:00:05 am »
Woo! New PB - 22mins 36secs. That felt great!

Thinking about the footpod thing, I'm not sure it would really do what I want anyway - I really need some kid of metronome type device. Either that of just do more running until I get a better feel for pacing...

d.