Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400594 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cross Training: Running
« Reply #875 on: 22 September, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
Three PBs in a row! And I cracked the 21 minute barrier today - recorded an unofficial time of 20.56. That's pretty much flat out all the way for me. Really buzzing now. Gorgeous morning for it too - crisp and clear. Perfect conditions. I expect quite a few people at Whitstable parkrun will have done a PB today.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #876 on: 22 September, 2012, 03:16:00 pm »
PBs are sooo  last season. I've moved onto new challenges:

Your time was 27:50.

Congratulations <blah, blah ... >. You finished in nearly last place and you came dead last in your age category. Your PB remains 22:54.

Job done (and that was despite a - somewhat steady - sprint finish) ;D
Pleased that nothing hurt after 9.5km-ish, and I found a new stretch of riverbank; deserted and peaceful, apart from the practice session for a big motocross meet  ::-) It does seem that a 20min bike ride is my best warmup strategy - which isn't a big problem, but is a hassle clothing-wise on winter mornings. Is this the slippery slope to duathlons?!? I suspect they're the wrong way round!

It was just about warmish at benson café, where I chatted with Manotea and the riders on his Audax events. Smashing morning all-round. :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #877 on: 23 September, 2012, 12:32:44 am »
Well done, matt. I've toyed with the idea of extending my Parkrun in similar fashion but haven't done it yet. Sounds like a good way to get a longer run in.

I was right about the stats at Whitstable today - 31 new PBs out of 157 starters (a record attendance), and about 30 first timers too. :thumbsup:

d.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #878 on: 23 September, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »
Now that it's getting decidedly more autumnal and nippy, what does the neophyte runner wear?  Apart from two pairs of shorts and two short sleeved running tops the only other running kit I possess is one long sleeved Ron Hill top and a pair of Ron Hill tracksters. Oh and two smelly Helly base layers I use for cycling.   I s'pose I'll have to get some more gear as the season progresses?

« Reply #879 on: 23 September, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
Don't get sucked in by the equivalent of mamil, Gandalf; if you've got a washing machine (or a wash-basin!) you've already got enough stuff!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #880 on: 23 September, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »
Don't get sucked in by the equivalent of mamil, Gandalf; if you've got a washing machine (or a wash-basin!) you've already got enough stuff!

Very wise! Better than spending money on fags and petrol though and much more fun ;)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #881 on: 23 September, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »
Now that it's getting decidedly more autumnal and nippy, what does the neophyte runner wear?

My cycle gear usually, padless bib-longs work also when it gets too cold. Long sleeved jersey with pockets for gels work also.

15 offroad miles for me today, longest run to date also.
32 of us from the local club ran out around Woburn woods and safari park, a bit stop start in places with loopbacks (where the faster runners run back past the tail-bikers) to keep it all together.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #882 on: 23 September, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »
I recently got some Ronhill 3/4 length tights, they are good for keeping my knees warm. Tracksters are good for colder wather.
And Helly base layers are fairly warm. Sometimes also a Montane Featherlite jacket to keep the wind off.

Plus a hat or buff and gloves can help a lot.

« Reply #883 on: 23 September, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »
I gave up running a few years back when I had a nasty asthma attack and didn't have my inhaler with me, resulting in a freezing cold crawl home in insufficient clothing for slow walking.
These days the asthma is better under control, but I much prefer running on a treadmill where if I get in trouble I can just stop. How does treadmill running speed and difficulty compare to real life running?
If I get up to a decent pace on it am I likely to be able to reproduce that if I then started running outdoors?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #884 on: 23 September, 2012, 04:13:11 pm »
How does treadmill running speed and difficulty compare to real life running?
If I get up to a decent pace on it am I likely to be able to reproduce that if I then started running outdoors?

i find it very similar (15kph is hard work both on the treadmill and outside)

« Reply #885 on: 23 September, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »
How does treadmill running speed and difficulty compare to real life running?

i find it very similar (15kph is hard work both on the treadmill and outside)

What incline % do you set the treadmill on?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #886 on: 23 September, 2012, 05:47:28 pm »
hmm, zero.. my running "training" was once a week after a spinning class, usually 3km @13kph

simonp

« Reply #887 on: 24 September, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »
IME the difference is wind resistance and impact. Running the same pace on tarmac is much harder on my legs (in terms of post exercise discomfort) than running on a treadmill, which has a much more friendly surface.

« Reply #888 on: 28 September, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
Running on a treadmill is never going to be the same as running outside, but there is a time and place for treadmills. However, I'm really against setting them on an incline- you hear a load of rubbish about 1-2% making the same as outside. Nonsense, it can't replicate running outside, but having it on an incline just stresses the achilles. I do use them often though, and of course are good for pace management if you are not good at it.

So. The big one is happening today. Spartathlon. I've never run this but would love to. A few friends have gone out there to run. Lizzy Hawker if anyone has heard of her is having a stormer. Unfortunately, 4 out of my 5 close friends running it have pulled out at 'only' the 30 mile checkpoint. They are all ill and throwing up- all staying in same hotel...... gutted for them.

Will be mainly watching the live feed this afternoon. Brutal race.

« Reply #889 on: 28 September, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »
two hundred and forty five kilometres ??  I thought audax was bad!

bonkers.

citoyen

« Reply #890 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:35:30 pm »
It does sound insane to a non-runner, but I expect it's roughly equivalent to doing a 600km audax.

I'm staggered at the record time though - 20hrs 25mins. That's really insane.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #891 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:52:57 pm »
Now I am no longer a 600k virgin, I think that running 150 miles is quite a lot harder than cycling 600k.....just my opinion though.

Your opinion on this matter counts for an awful lot more than mine, given that I've only done one 600km audax and never even run 10 miles...

Reading up a bit more about the Spartathlon, it sounds like a pretty tough route too - not exactly flat, easy terrain!

d.

« Reply #892 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »
It has pretty harsh cut offs along the way which is what makes it so difficult, its certainly not a race for the average fun runner. No dawdling en route or you're out!

citoyen

« Reply #893 on: 28 September, 2012, 04:29:43 pm »
Back to more modest ambitions...

My overriding goal in life at the moment (apart from finding a new job) is to get my Parkrun time down to 20 minutes. I did my first Parkrun on 26th May this year in 24:56 and set a new PB last week on my 16th Parkrun of 20:56. Four minutes improvement in four months. Quite pleased with that. I suspect shaving off that last minute is going to be a bit harder than the other four, but I'm thinking I might be able to achieve it before my 40th birthday, 29th December - which happens to be a Saturday, and would be my 31st Parkrun if I don't miss any weeks between now and then...

More importantly, having set a PB for three consecutive weeks, I need to set another this week - it occurred to me after last week's run that I might possibly be in line for the monthly prize, which is quite an incentive (the prize being a new pair of running shoes). However, a brief perusal of the results reveals that another runner has also set three consecutive PBs, and over her 22 Parkruns to date has brought her time down from 32:35 to 25:16, breaking her PB 13 times. Personally, if it were me giving out the prizes, I'd probably choose her over me. Dash it! So I reckon my only hope is to set another PB this week and hope she doesn't.  ;D

Anyway, fair play to her if she gets the prize. I'll still be pretty pleased if I can edge another bit closer to that 20 minute mark.

d.

« Reply #894 on: 28 September, 2012, 04:37:36 pm »
Citoyen its great improvement indeed. What running are you doing in between the parkruns? Are you wanting to do anything specific to get yourself to a 19.59 (possible quite soon I'd have thought) or are you just going to wait and see if it happens on its own just from doing more parkruns?

citoyen

« Reply #895 on: 28 September, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »
Parkrun is pretty much the only running I'm doing. I'd like to do a bit more, but finding the time to fit it in is the difficulty. One of my fellow commuters (a veteran ironman) runs to Faversham before getting on the train some mornings (about 6 miles), so I could try that.

I just googled for "how to run 5k sub 20 minutes" and that's when I realised it's a very big deal for a lot of people. All these "training plans" and what have you... that's not really my style.  ;D

It'll be a big deal for me too, of course, but I see it as a very realistic, achievable target rather than something that needs special training (but only because I'm already at a decent level of fitness) - it's about 70% on the age graded scale, which I think is a decent standard to aspire to. Now, if it were 19 minutes I were aiming at, that would be another matter...

My usual tactic is just to set the pacer on my Garmin to the time I want to achieve and try to keep up with it. I'll be setting it to 4:12min/km for tomorrow's run (exactly 21 minute pace). The first km is completely flat and usually has a tailwind, so I try to take advantage by setting out quite fast to get some time in the bank, then I settle down to a steady pace for the middle section, and flat out in the home stretch (I've been recording an average HR of 180-185bpm for that final km, so it really is close to maximum effort).

d.

citoyen

« Reply #896 on: 29 September, 2012, 12:06:06 pm »
My nose was running faster than my legs this morning…

And there was a stinker of a headwind in the home straight…

But 21:19 is ok. Maybe I need to temper my expectations a bit!

d.

« Reply #897 on: 30 September, 2012, 07:17:43 pm »
Did 15.08 miles in 1h59m on friday, with my work rucksack on. Was chuffed as it's the furthest I've run so far, and I felt great. Legs have felt okay since. I'm hoping that short lunchtime runs in my vivobarefoots and then longer runs in my Asics on Fridays is a pattern that'll keep me injury free.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #898 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:42:14 am »
Nice one LC. Despite the fact that you make my puny efforts look ... even punyer, that is great news.
Especially the "painfree" bit!  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #899 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:08:23 am »
Did 15.08 miles in 1h59m on friday, with my work rucksack on.

Do you have a running-specific rucksack? Any recommendations in that department?

Was chuffed as it's the furthest I've run so far, and I felt great. Legs have felt okay since.

:thumbsup:

I didn't even notice my foot. Its still not hurting. Proper painfree today.

:thumbsup:

d.