Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 421849 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #900 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:20:29 am »
Osprey Talon's are good (they are about £70 though....), and I like my OMM Last drop.

Last drop is great for lower loads - 10/12/15 litre ones. Both of those have hydration bladder doodahs if you want them.

Talon (22l, but actually more like 25l) is fantastic - bit heavier than comparable OMM and Inov8 models, but unlike them, it has a structured back.  It's also good for cycling as well.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #901 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:27:38 am »
Cheers, Lady C. I've just started a specific thread on this subject to open it up a bit (and avoid straying too far off topic here) but that's some good info to be going on with.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #902 on: 03 October, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
did 5 km today when my achilles tendon started to hurt again, limped home and hope it improves over the next days.
But most likely no running for some time again. :(

« Reply #903 on: 04 October, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »
Mine is an old version of this - http://www.asics.co.uk/running/products/trail-running-backpack/ but the do a smaller version with a bladder if you don't need to carry so much. Mine has no bladder but the same straps as both. I carry a change of clothes, lunch, some papers and keys/wallet. It's comfy and very stable but not very light.

simonp

« Reply #904 on: 12 October, 2012, 02:21:54 pm »

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #905 on: 12 October, 2012, 08:17:35 pm »
i've signed up for this parkrun last week, but was ill with cold and chest infection till now. i'm curious to see what it's like and also where do i start with f-all training. low twenty min would be nice, but main priority is to finish without injury.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #906 on: 13 October, 2012, 11:53:32 am »
^^ it all went pretty well. gorgeous morning, 15min bike ride to the park for warm-up, started running too fast (no idea about the pace), then settled into my fast_sustainable mode and finished third, in around 20min. my time didn't get taken as i ran past the marshal (instead of turning right in front of him onto the grass), so he thought i'm not part of this run :facepalm:. anyway the guy behind me finished "as it just turned 20", so that's good enough. next time i might take a phone/gps with me.

edit: just received the results; i've been awarded 5th place and the time of 20:25 doh.. next time under 20 - that's for sure! :demon:

simonp

« Reply #907 on: 13 October, 2012, 11:57:14 am »
My legs hurt.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #908 on: 13 October, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »
Oh well, got the PF under control, now my knees hurt like buggery...Google Fu suggest I have runner's knee.  What a bleedin vortex of smeg.

At least I can ride my bike though.

« Reply #909 on: 14 October, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »

[One interesting thing about this race was that the timing "chips" were printed on bits of paper, which you made into a loop and put through your laces. The timing "mats" however, were like bars 1cm high, 10cm across, proud of the surface - as one bit of the technology gets smaller, so the other gets larger!]

Lucky it's the bit that you have to carry on your foot that's getting lighter then. ;D

Nice one Oranj and good luck in the marathon. :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #910 on: 14 October, 2012, 07:50:53 pm »
Good stuff. I was worried yesterday my legs were going to hurt /even more/ today but they seem to be on the mend now. Might do my next run tomorrow.

« Reply #911 on: 14 October, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »
I'm on a cycling trip atm but still managed to sneak in a 5k yesterday- 18.37

Good God, that's good.
I have to know. Was that in cycling shoes or are you carrying running shoes with you. ;D

so still heading in right direction which is the main thing

I think I'd consider that time my arrival, never mind the right direction.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #912 on: 15 October, 2012, 06:45:22 am »
Lol thanks, I'm still a way behind my pre-broken times though. I'll get back there one day I hope.

And good god no, with my stupid foot there is no way on earth I'm running anywhere in cycling shoes. No, I have running trainers and the kitchen sink with me, I'm regretting it every time I see a hill, I feel like I'm pulling a tractor!

citoyen

« Reply #913 on: 15 October, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
21 mins exactly on Saturday's parkrun. And it felt like serious effort. I only managed that time because I got into a group of four runners and used them to motivate me to keep going. One of them thanked me afterwards for pacing her! Obvious mutual benefits in running in a group rather than solo or on a treadmill. But I'm going to have to start taking this a little more seriously if I really want to get sub-20 mins... I might even have to use the T-word...*

To that end, I went out for a lunchtime run today - along the South Bank, over Westminster Bridge, round St James's Park, back along the north side of the river and across the Millennium Bridge. Roughly 8.5km. Time was about 45 minutes but is immaterial really - I was just taking it at a steady, comfortable pace, plus I had to keep stopping and/or swerving because of the crowds of tourists (especially by the Millennium Wheel), crossing roads, avoiding stepping on pigeons/squirrels/perlicans in St James's Park. But I really enjoyed it. Will have to make it a regular thing - but maybe refine the route to avoid the crowds.  :thumbsup:

I'm thinking I might even do a (kind of) triathlon one day this week - swim in the morning, run at lunchtime and ride after work.

d.

*training - spit!

citoyen

« Reply #914 on: 15 October, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »
Ran in the Oxford Half Marathon today... I was pretty comfortable with a steady 1h29 pace

Impressive! Good work.

edit: just received the results; i've been awarded 5th place and the time of 20:25 doh.. next time under 20 - that's for sure! :demon:

Frustrating! But that's still a time for some of us to be envious of. Well done.

d.

« Reply #915 on: 15 October, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »
Lol thanks, I'm still a way behind my pre-broken times though. I'll get back there one day I hope.

It's all relative. I watched Mo Farrah on telly in a hotel doing his Olympic 5k. Apparently, his time, which was about half my 5k time, was a "slow" race. ;D

And good god no, with my stupid foot there is no way on earth I'm running anywhere in cycling shoes.

Oh, I see. So if your foot was OK, you'd run in your cycling shoes. I understand now. Thanks. ;D
This reminds me of the time some Frenchman tried to steal my bike in Paris and I chased after him in my cycling shoes...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #916 on: 16 October, 2012, 10:36:50 am »
I've had a bit of a case of lazyitis with my running, not having done much in ages.
So to combat this I've stuck the NHS Couch to 5K on my mp3 player, and started again from scratch.

1st week of the program done,and I'm just in from my first run of the second week - 5 min warm up walk, then 90 seconds run followed by 2 mins walk, alternating for 20 minutes.    :thumbsup:

Oh, and my old Edinburgh bicycle pad less bib tights seem quite fine for running in cold, damp weather! 

simonp

« Reply #917 on: 16 October, 2012, 04:11:12 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #918 on: 16 October, 2012, 04:57:01 pm »
Today I went for a run. Felt crap, so did 10K.

http://my.digifit.com/site/share/workout/68acf3b8179311e291b2fff61a7a6b5c.html#.UH1h3LPKuJg

Good effort!

I've not heard of digifit before. Looks interesting. I've been using Strava but I'm going to start using Endomondo again because I've just discovered it syncs with myfitnesspal. There seem to be rather a lot of these personal tracker apps to choose from now.

Went out for another run myself at lunchtime - really felt the need for it after a pretty stressful morning at work. Did basically the same as yesterday but tweaked it slightly to avoid the crowded bits. Fantastic. Felt great afterwards. Really cleared my head nicely. I can't believe I'm actually properly enjoying running now.   ;D

d.

« Reply #919 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »
Today I went for a run. Felt crap, so did 10K.

http://my.digifit.com/site/share/workout/68acf3b8179311e291b2fff61a7a6b5c.html#.UH1h3LPKuJg

Good effort!

I've not heard of digifit before. Looks interesting. I've been using Strava but I'm going to start using Endomondo again because I've just discovered it syncs with myfitnesspal. There seem to be rather a lot of these personal tracker apps to choose from now.

Went out for another run myself at lunchtime - really felt the need for it after a pretty stressful morning at work. Did basically the same as yesterday but tweaked it slightly to avoid the crowded bits. Fantastic. Felt great afterwards. Really cleared my head nicely. I can't believe I'm actually properly enjoying running now.   ;D

d.

The advantage of Digifit is that their iPhone apps can collect data using a bluetooth polar HR band that also works with equipment in the gym. They can import and share data with/from all sorts of other sources too. There is an ANT+ iPhone dongle that allows the app to use Garmin stuff like cad sensor, Gamin HR band and power tap also  :thumbsup:

« Reply #920 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:07:17 pm »
The advantage of Digifit is that their iPhone apps can collect data using a bluetooth polar HR band that also works with equipment in the gym. They can import and share data with/from all sorts of other sources too. There is an ANT+ iPhone dongle that allows the app to use Garmin stuff like cad sensor, Gamin HR band and power tap also  :thumbsup:

[luddite]
Fascinating.

I wonder what it means. ???

[/luddite]

« Reply #921 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:10:47 pm »

[luddite]
Fascinating.

I wonder what it means. ???

[/luddite]

It means I have a big credit card bill because I spent $stupidmoney on too many gadgets  ;D

citoyen

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #922 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:34:02 pm »
I've been thinking of getting an ANT+ dongle for my iPhone so I can use my Garmin HRM with the Strava/Endomondo apps. They are a bit spendy though. Maybe a Polar Bluetooth HRM is a better option...

If I could use the ANT+ dongle to upload data to Garmin Connect, I would definitely consider it worth having, but I don't think you can do that so it's strictly a luxury item on the wish list.

d.

« Reply #923 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »
I've been thinking of getting an ANT+ dongle for my iPhone so I can use my Garmin HRM with the Strava/Endomondo apps. They are a bit spendy though. Maybe a Polar Bluetooth HRM is a better option...

If I could use the ANT+ dongle to upload data to Garmin Connect, I would definitely consider it worth having, but I don't think you can do that so it's strictly a luxury item on the wish list.

d.

If only they had made the new iPhone ANT+ compatible with no dongle :(

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #924 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:37:12 pm »
Not tried it myself, but apparently you can use the Garmin Fit app with the Iphone ANT+ adapter, and it will automatically upload to Garmin Connect. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=104231

There are a few Android phones with ANT+ built in, mostly from Sony Ericsson. Though it seems most of the newer Sony phones are lacking ANT+.