Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400394 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cross Training: Running
« Reply #925 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:49:35 pm »
Garmin Fit app is reputed to be rubbish. And unlike other (better) fitness tracking apps, it isn't free!

I just have to be patient and upload later when I'm in range of the home computer. I can live with that level of inconvenience. ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #926 on: 16 October, 2012, 11:23:45 pm »
Today I went for a run. Felt crap, so did 10K.

http://my.digifit.com/site/share/workout/68acf3b8179311e291b2fff61a7a6b5c.html#.UH1h3LPKuJg

Good effort!

Fidgetbuzz reckons someone my age should be going sub 40 minutes. Not for my first ever 10K, though! I am actually training for a ~1.8km run next month (a lap of Cambridge Science Park as part of a 4-man relay team), so am just using these runs to get my legs used to running before I start doing some speed work. The last time I ran the event, in 2010, I did a PB of 6:45, which was a 6 minute mile pace. I usually don't get around to training at all until a couple of weeks ahead, but it's still a month away, so I hope to improve on that time, perhaps knock 15s off and get down to 6:30.

citoyen

« Reply #927 on: 17 October, 2012, 06:22:04 am »
There are a lot of fitness apps and gadgets coming to market that will be BlueTooth compatible (maybe including bike power meters). Bide your time.

Straying off topic a bit now but I thought the point of ANT+ was its much lower power consumption than Bluetooth. However, I've just been doing some reading and it seems there's now Bluetooth Low Energy, which I guess will ultimately make ANT+ redundant - the Betamax of near field communication, eh, teethgrinder?

d.

« Reply #928 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:43:45 pm »
There are a lot of fitness apps and gadgets coming to market that will be BlueTooth compatible (maybe including bike power meters). Bide your time.

Straying off topic a bit now but I thought the point of ANT+ was its much lower power consumption than Bluetooth. However, I've just been doing some reading and it seems there's now Bluetooth Low Energy, which I guess will ultimately make ANT+ redundant - the Betamax of near field communication, eh, teethgrinder?

d.

The new Polar H7 bluetooth band (that Simon and I now have) is the new low energy technology. The good thing is it's also backwards comatible with Polar watches and fitness equipment.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #929 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:07:41 pm »
Fidgetbuzz reckons someone my age should be going sub 40 minutes. Not for my first ever 10K, though!

Absolutely - go back a page - look at Lady C - 18 odd for 5 kms - and she is well off her best I believe.

So under 40 - should be a no brainer - 35 or 36 now you are running rather than "jogging"
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #930 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »
Fidgetbuzz reckons someone my age should be going sub 40 minutes. Not for my first ever 10K, though!

Absolutely - go back a page - look at Lady C - 18 odd for 5 kms - and she is well off her best I believe.

So under 40 - should be a no brainer - 35 or 36 now you are running rather than "jogging"

Lady C is a runner. Why would someone who doesn't really run be able to do comparable times on a first attempt?
I should try and run 10k to give you a laugh. I reckon it would take me more than an hour  :D

citoyen

« Reply #931 on: 17 October, 2012, 11:22:56 pm »
50mins/10k is not bad at all for a fit non-runner - I'd be pleased with that myself, and I think I'm fairly close in age to SimonP. I reckon I might manage 45 minutes on a good day if I really pushed myself.

Sub 40 mins sounds rather ambitious but isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Might take a bit of work to get there though.

d.

simonp

« Reply #932 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:06:28 am »
50mins/10k is not bad at all for a fit non-runner - I'd be pleased with that myself, and I think I'm fairly close in age to SimonP. I reckon I might manage 45 minutes on a good day if I really pushed myself.

Sub 40 mins sounds rather ambitious but isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Might take a bit of work to get there though.

d.

46 minutes. (45:58)

This is only the third time I’ve run outdoors this year, IIRC. To me, 35 minutes seems unrealistic. Given I ran a 6 minute mile pace in the 1.8km race in 2010, I expect to at least match that again this year as I’m training now with a month to go rather than the more usual start with two weeks to go. I’m targeting 6:30 for the event (6:45 in 2010).

My first outdoor run of this training was 7.54km, at a pace equivalent to 48:45 for 10km. So I’ve gone nearly 3 minutes/10k faster already. I was pretty sore on Saturday; much less so today.

This calculator lets you adjust your time for age. 35 minutes seems highly unlikely for me.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/agegradingcalculator/0,7977,s6-238-277-415-0,00.html

citoyen

« Reply #933 on: 18 October, 2012, 05:29:34 am »
Well, there you go - I reckon 70% for your age grade should be an achievable target for a fit non-runner with a bit of training.

For me, that means I need to be aiming for 19:20 for 5k and 40 mins for 10k.

Hmmm.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #934 on: 18 October, 2012, 06:46:44 pm »
I can't quite believe I'm saying this but... that actually sounds like fun.  ;D

Went for a lunchtime run again today - for the fourth time this week! (I'm giving myself the day off tomorrow though.) I ran my 8.5km route in a bit over 39 minutes. Started off slowly for the first km or so to get warmed up then increased to "tempo" pace (about 4.30min/km). Felt really good - certainly gave me enough of a buzz to make the afternoon at work much more bearable.  :thumbsup:

d.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #935 on: 18 October, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »
Coming off Hardknott today (#massivenamedrop) I spotted some damp runners with Goretex-n-rucksacks. Lovely friendly couple, they were recce-ing the Lakeland 50. a 24h cutoff - does that sound right? Can't quite get my head around how that compares with the Thames event!

I think they'd enjoyed some 'bonus' miles last year, so reckoned it was worth checking their route this time! Having seen the incredible terrain they were going over, I had to agree. I hadn't seen another walker-or-cyclists for bloody miles, so was glad for a chat - it's great hearing about other mad stuff people are upto.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #936 on: 18 October, 2012, 11:13:03 pm »
Lakeland 50 is absolutely nothing like the TT50. Lakeland 50 is harder than most 100 milers. The Lakeland 100 is the hardest thing in the country......

Enter it Matt :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #937 on: 18 October, 2012, 11:22:04 pm »
Maybe not this time:
 Saturday July 27th 2013 - Noon, Sunday July 28th 2013

(head controller would NOT be happy!)

<Makes note to check excuses for all the other ultras next year ...>

Leaving aside the sheer unlikelyness of my legs holding out for more than 2 hours ... I can't decide how/if these long runs appeal. If I had all the skills, the Lakeland event looks fab (massive IF). Whilst the more 'practical' events look deadly dull. No offence to certain people, but 24 hours along a towpath, or round a 400m track? I shall continue to merely worship those concerned from afar!
LDWA might be the way (despite them being stuffier than even AUK!) Crikey - 'Search' reveals that this links back to posts on this thread in 2010.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #938 on: 18 October, 2012, 11:33:56 pm »
<Makes note to check excuses for all the other ultras next year ...>

Psssst!

Mersey 24.

Saying that, running 100 miles over the Lake District sounds like a good weekend to me. If only I had the running legs...

citoyen

« Reply #939 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:11:40 am »
Saying that, running 100 miles over the Lake District sounds like a good weekend to me. If only I had the running legs...

This.

I couldn't do it as a race, but it sounds like something I'd love to do for fun at my own speed.

d.

« Reply #940 on: 19 October, 2012, 11:27:32 am »
Did 8.9 miles in 1h11m in my vivobarefoots. Wasn't watching the GPS, just concentrating on my form, so was pleased to stay sub 8m/miles and not get injured. It's the furthest I've run in my barefoots - haven't gone beyond 10km before. Didn't get any ITB, knee or ankle problems - still going to keep it infrequent as they clearly test parts of me that don't get used so much. Calf muscles feel pretty pumped today, and I don't think I'm going to enjoy my fixed gear hill repeats later.

simonp

« Reply #941 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:33:25 pm »
Did a 5k at lunchtime, got soaked. 1k warm-up, then 5k in 20:51, then 0.5k crawl.

Age-graded score for that time is 65.46, suggesting I'm getting faster.

« Reply #942 on: 19 October, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »

or older.

simonp

« Reply #943 on: 19 October, 2012, 05:03:26 pm »

or older.

Not as fast as I'm getting faster.  :P

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #944 on: 20 October, 2012, 04:55:45 pm »
edit: just received the results; i've been awarded 5th place and the time of 20:25 doh.. next time under 20 - that's for sure! :demon:

much better this time, i gave it all! gps helped me to keep the pace in check, although still started off too quick (just like in audaxes..). good conditions for running, overcast and no wind. came fourth in 19:26, felt dizzy and nearly got sick after finishing - must have been trying hard! now - do i start training for better times or leave it at that?

btw, how do you run through puddles - i need mudguards

« Reply #945 on: 21 October, 2012, 01:55:50 pm »

or older.

Not as fast as I'm getting faster.  :P

Fairy nuff.
That's good going. You're a few minutes faster than my best 5k. :thumbsup:

Nice one to you as well Zigzag :thumbsup:

I was up in Brumland this morning and felt a bit gutted that I never knew about the half marathon that was on. I could have had a go at that.  :(

Never mind.
I'll leave this running lark for a while. Haven't done a run since about August. But I'm doing stuff in the gym now, including hamstring exercises. So I'll come out and do a Parkrun with absolutely no running behind me in about November-December. I'll run the 4 miles to the start and see what time I do, then run/walk/crawl home again.
It'll be intersting to see what happens. ;D

citoyen

« Reply #946 on: 21 October, 2012, 04:49:42 pm »
Wrong side of 21mins on yesterday's Parkrun again. Frustrating!

Was supposed to be doing the Fowlmead CX race today but woke up late, bike needed fettling and didn't really fancy the schlepp down to Deal so just went for a run through the local woods instead. Took it nice and easy and clocked up 15km in 90 minutes.

Very wet, very muddy but very satisfying. :thumbsup:

zigzag, re puddles, I got bored of trying to avoid them and my feet were wet by then anyway so I just ran through them. Good squelchy fun, really! ;D

Impressive parkrunning, btw.

d.

simonp

« Reply #947 on: 22 October, 2012, 05:55:06 pm »
I did 8x2-minute intervals today. 4 minute jog recoveries.

I'm re-starting the 100 push-ups challenge this evening.

It's been nice knowing y'all.

citoyen

« Reply #948 on: 24 October, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »
8km in a smidge over 35mins on my lunchtime run today.

Quite pleased with that, but apparently I need to get it down to 31:40 to hit that magic 70% mark.

Yikes.  :o

d.

simonp

« Reply #949 on: 24 October, 2012, 05:58:52 pm »
I'm broken. Tried to do another 10km, warmed up jogging for a mile but pain from my left ankle so I stopped and limped back to the office (2.5 miles).

I think it's the peroneal tendon.