Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OSMand basically didn't work on my phone. Needed too much memory, ran very very slowly.
Further and Faster / Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Last post by gibbo on Today at 09:08:47 am »
It's a sad day, I paused my membership of 4+ years! Obviously, I too, got the Zwift email regarding an uplift in prices. These people are in business to make money, I get that, and to me it's acceptable to have say a small yearly increase but when a 33% hike comes in one hit it's probably not surprising there will be a backlash?

I've now paused my subscription for a couple of months but still have one month to run ride, allowing me a bit of time to research and try out other platforms before quitting. I'm thinking Rouvy, at the moment, but will watch this thread to see what pans out.

One of the things I like about Zwift is the number and participants in events and group rides and I'm wondering if other platforms will have that? Having people, even virtual ones, around me helps to keep me motivated and to keep going etc.
Further and Faster / Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Last post by MattH on Today at 08:57:05 am »
mywhoosh might be worth trying. I tried it early on, but my pain cave laptop wasn't up to running it and I couldn't run it on the big screen from my phone (could get it up there, but the mouse wouldn't work to click on things - it does on most apps).
They've now released a lightweight version, but as I'm off the trainer for the summer haven't tried it.

MrsH is still running zwift, I might ask her to take a look. It'll get quite expensive in winter when I restart mine.
Caption It / Re: Caption it #2086
« Last post by Basil on Today at 08:55:33 am »
Second prize. An Argos cutlery set.
I've not used organicmaps.

How does it compare to OSMAnd? 

Both seem to save Open Street Maps to the phone and are free ?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 08:52:19 am »
Night Fever - Bee Gees
I’d take a look at something like a second hand Satmap with OS maps for off road with OS mapping.
Start times went out yesterday. There are a few emails being 'processed' so if you haven't received please email.
Rides and Touring / Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Last post by Oscar's dad on Today at 08:44:09 am »
I'm going to be all at sea the next couple of weeks too!

Lou-Lou Belle Cruises?
;D

The issue of the phone knowing where it is does not seem to be straightforward. I have on mine an app called OSM Viewer, which instantly keeps track of where I am as well as showing useful detail (eg bus stops, house numbers, official and unofficial footpaths). But it doesn't plot a route. I have another, called On The Go Map, which isn't always good at keeping track of where I am, but does plot routes (different routes for walking, cycling, and driving, as well as straight lines). And then I have OS Locate, which has no map but just gives grid ref, which I'll use in conjunction with a map. And finally, I have cycle.travel app for actually plotting cycling routes (On The Go Map plots routes on the basis of shortest distance, including legalities such as banned turns, but takes no account of eg a road being a quiet street or a d-c A road). I started using cycle.travel on the phone because the screen on my ~10 year old Etrex 20 was becoming dim, and I suppose my eyes older, and I was sometimes missing turns.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10