Author Topic: Location map and Youtube  (Read 1538 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Location map and Youtube
« on: 08 July, 2008, 05:32:42 pm »
What have they got in common?

Answer: I can't see either of them.

Where the location map should be is a blank space and, I've just noticed, the Youtube page is garbled. Could there be a connection? I'm running Firefox 3 on XP. All Java stuff enabled.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Re: Location map and Youtube
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »
Sounds like Javascript issues, but why you are getting them is another question.  Does it happen with IE ? (I'm guessing you are using Windoze, so you should have IE as well).
Actually, it is rocket science.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:09:51 pm »
IE is ok. Computer in other room running Firefox 3 is ok too.

Tried reinstalling Firefox and Java. No difference (but it wasn't a full delete everything reinstall).

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2008, 07:37:45 pm »
This sounds like a Javascript issue, rather than Java.  For all the two have similar names, and similar syntax, they are not the same thing.

I'd try disabling any (all?) Add-ons, just in case one of those is buggering up things, then try uninstalling Firefox, and delete any remnants it may have left behind, and then reinstall (remembering to backup things like Bookmarks obviously).  If it remembers things like bookmarks and home pages etc, then you haven't been efficient enough in deleting stuff!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:19:16 pm »
Bookmarks should be ok since I'm using Foxmarks. I'll give it a go.

Hmm...

I'll lose all my saved form and password stuff won't I? Any way of keeping all that?

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:27:54 pm »
Well, at a guess it'll all be under something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.<random characters>

...but that's for the Firefox 2 on this PC, I think Firefox 3 has things slightly different.  The trouble is that there are a mass of files there, and something in there could be causing the problem.

If you want to avoid killing all that, make a backup of it all (just in case), and install a second copy of Firefox into a different directory to it's normal "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox", you should be able to run it separately to the original install, and I think it will create a new default profile (ie not use the one you've already go installed) so long as you don't tell it to use the existing stuff.  If it does pick up on the original install still, then temporarily rename the Application Data directory to something else like "...\Wozilla\Firefox\..." so it can't find it.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:47:31 pm »
Well, I've now got Firefox running correctly but without any of my stuff.

Now what? Can I just delete the contents of the default.<random stuff> directory and replace with the one i've saved?

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:49:29 pm »
Well, I've now got Firefox running correctly but without any of my stuff.

Now what? Can I just delete the contents of the default.<random stuff> directory and replace with the one i've saved?

Gotta be worth a try.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:52:10 pm »
Thank you very much. It appears to have worked.  ;D

Although gawd knows why it didn't in the first place.

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:03:24 pm »
Meh, computers doing strange things keeps me occupied at least half of my working life (not what I was employed for, but heah).

« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2008, 05:26:23 pm »
I also reported a similar problem with YouTube so I'll try the method shown below.

YouTube ran perfectly until Google messed it up for me :demon:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"