Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626214 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2775 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »
Bright side - you can save a couple of weeks 'off' for the summer when riding bikes is more pleasant?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2776 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:33:51 pm »
It's warm and dry, I'm unreasonably fatigued, and there's a diskpocalypse that needs my attention.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2777 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:46:33 pm »
Bright side - you can save a couple of weeks 'off' for the summer when riding bikes is more pleasant?

Possibly, but, right now, I NEED the time off.  A severe case of the LURGY that visited our house over Xmas has left me really tired and quite down.  Right now my CBA-meter is off the scale.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2778 on: 08 January, 2013, 08:32:48 am »
Now look here, Madam Pheasant; you may well have kamikaze tendencies and wish to walk out into the road in front of me, but taking out the side grille on my car with your last act wasn't really necessary, was it? A quick squelch under the tyres would have sufficed.

Ho hum, I now wish I had stopped ostensibly to check you were expired, but really looking for the no doubt expensive bit of plastic you dislodged.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2779 on: 08 January, 2013, 09:27:12 am »
Don't you like eating pheasant?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2780 on: 09 January, 2013, 08:53:43 am »
Made it through xmas and ny without getting ill, this was despite having an ill partner and her sister. Both are better now so why am I now coming down with it? Grrr
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2781 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:27:37 am »
That's obviously so they are both fit and well and able to pamper you properly.

« Reply #2782 on: 09 January, 2013, 02:50:44 pm »
I find the beeps strangely comforting.

We aim to respond within 10 working days

>:(

We're not paying for your taxi fare, becuase you had not OK'd it with our absent Train staff, at 2am, while being forcably ejected from the station premises. Rail ticket refund takes the form of a voucher, which may only be redeemed by us, in person, on the first Monday of any month with an 'R' in it, between the hours of sunrise and sunset (excepting lunch hours 09:00--18:00), only during leap years, if submitted in triplicate with Form 3BX7a, and may be redeemed against any ticket type (excepting First, Standard, Advance, Saver, Anytime or any variation thereof), to any destination station (excepting London stations), on portions of route wholly and exclusively operated by us, in off-peak hours. Except voucher codes 3XXXXX or 4XXXXX, which may be only be redeemed by us, in person, on the first Tuesday of any month with an 'S' in it, between the hours of sunset and sunrise (office closed 17:00--09:00), on alternate leap year years, if submitted in triplicate with Form 3BX7b, and may be redeemed against any ticket type (excepting First, Standard, Advance, Saver, Anytime or any variation thereof), to any destination station (excepting London stations), on portions of route wholly and exclusively operated by us, in on-peak hours (except 08:00--18:00).

Thank you for your continued custom.
I like maps me

« Reply #2783 on: 09 January, 2013, 07:49:40 pm »
Ugh, no Coalition for Marriage I do not want your leaflets through my door.

Had I realised what it was sooner I'd have gone out to give it back.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2784 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:56:22 pm »
Apropos of nothing in particular...

Quote from: Ellen Ripley, in "Aliens"
Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

essexian

« Reply #2785 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:31:32 am »
Two this morning....

Firstly, I love you dear wife but I do wish you would stop moving stuff.... cleaning up I believe you call it.... hiding stuff more like. This mornings example.... my cycling gloves were on my saddle for ease of use. You must have thought that looked untidy as when I went to cycle to the shops this morning, they had gone. So now (she is away so I can't ask her where she has moved them to) I have frozen hands which isn't nice.

Number two grumble..... UK Government... how on earth can getting a new photo driving licence cost £20!!!!! You are making mega profit on that!!!

« Reply #2786 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:35:02 am »
Ah, that reminds me I need to get mine renewed this year!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2787 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:43:05 am »
£20?
I was thinking about getting one, as I still use a very tatty piece of paper.  (As in very, very tatty)
Car hire places never seem to worry about it.

Don't think I'll bother.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2788 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:11:03 am »
I have until June thankfully. You still end up having a tatty piece of Paper, Basil, as it's a two-parter, although the only time I've been stopped by The Law I only had to show them my plastic card.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2789 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:19:39 am »
I have until June thankfully. You still end up having a tatty piece of Paper, Basil, as it's a two-parter, although the only time I've been stopped by The Law I only had to show them my plastic card.

ICBW but I don't believe that the law are allowed to request the counterpart as that shows your points, and they are not suppsoed to take that into account when talking to you..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2790 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:57:44 am »
£20?
I was thinking about getting one, as I still use a very tatty piece of paper.  (As in very, very tatty)
Car hire places never seem to worry about it.

Don't think I'll bother.

Don't - you don't need a new sort, and car hire companies (well, the one I use) prefer the old sort because people always forget the Part 2 of the new sort. There's no reason to have a new sort - and the photo bit is NOT a proof of identity (direct info from DVLA in which I do some work).

The police shouldn't need to see a licence - as long as you've some proof of identity they can get on the DVLA database. In fact, pretty well everything relating to your car and your driving of it are on there - there's talk of dropping the paper disc for Road Fund Duty because it isn't needed any more.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2791 on: 10 January, 2013, 11:19:03 am »
Um.  I wonder if I need to renew my license?  :-[
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2792 on: 10 January, 2013, 11:20:01 am »

Every 10 years for a photo one.  Cheapest way is to move house, as you get it updated for free when you change details.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2793 on: 10 January, 2013, 11:45:22 am »
Looks like 2013's touring plans will now be covered by an as-yet undecided plan B :(

« Reply #2794 on: 10 January, 2013, 12:01:01 pm »

Every 10 years for a photo one.  Cheapest way is to move house, as you get it updated for free when you change details.

Having just done this, I think I'd rather pay the £20 than £many1000s to sell/buy and move again.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2795 on: 10 January, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »
Yeah - but you got a free house with your licence!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2796 on: 10 January, 2013, 02:40:03 pm »

That gets you a new card, but doesn't renew the photo.  You still have to pay 20 quid every 10 years for a new one.  The DVLA should write to you when it needs renewing, or you could check the expiry date on the card...

On the plus side, they've successfully managed to integrate their database with the passport one, so if you have a recent passport they can pull the photo from that, saving you from having to get another one taken.  You can do the whole thing online relatively painlessly.

Personally I find the photo licence quite useful, as whatever its official status, it's widely accepted as a proof of ID/age/address and can live neatly in a wallet.  Which means not having to think when collecting parcels, buying knives, etc.

The paper bit only needs to come out of the drawer when hiring cars.  You have to dig out some other proof of address at the same time, so it's not exactly faff.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2797 on: 11 January, 2013, 05:02:03 pm »
Oh bum, I forgot to take the stock out of the freezer this morning.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2798 on: 11 January, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »
Oh bum, I forgot to take the stock out of the freezer this morning.
Stick it in the microwave
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2799 on: 11 January, 2013, 08:30:11 pm »
back pain again :'(
the slower you go the more you see