Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626368 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4950 on: 30 June, 2014, 11:35:38 am »
I once broke a tooth on Formentera.

A German fixed it. The Spanish dentist treated locals, the German did tourists & foreign (mainly German) residents.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4951 on: 30 June, 2014, 01:50:23 pm »
Whence cometh that stickiness afflicting my Altura gel mitts?  Or rather mitt, as it's only the left one ???

Note to self: buy some of those string-backed retro-stylee ones and wear them in the garden and/or on holibobs...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

« Reply #4952 on: 01 July, 2014, 08:23:13 am »
Good News (although some people may not think so).

Yesterday morning, around 6am, Pootle our massive grey tom cat arrived home with a half dead mouse in his mouth. Nothing strange about that as our moggies seem to have found a nest of the little critters and routinely leave us a freshly killed breakfast. While this is very nice of them, as both my considerably better half and I are both veggies, we end up giving the poor mouse a respectful burial in the garden rather than eating them…. We now know where Stephen King got his idea for one of his books from looking at the number of dead in our flower beds!

Yesterday morning however was slightly different. When collecting the mouse from the carpet where Pootle had left it, we noticed it was still breathing although did not seem to be able to move anymore. Wanting it to have a dignified death, we put it in a quiet spot in the kitchen to let it slip away. However, come lunchtime, it was still breathing and had moved a little. Hummm… two hours later, while still not moving much, it was much more alert so a decision was made to place the mouse in the greenhouse with some food and water just in case it continued to recover: the cats can’t get into the greenhouse but there are sufficient gaps for the mouse to leave if it was able to. If it couldn’t, then we decided that we would continue to care for it…. Well yes, we are soft and yes, some people think that mouse are vermin. We don’t think that way: everything has the right to life so any help we can give, we will give….. that’s the way we have ended up feeding 8 cats, three hedgehogs, four squirrels and countless slugs (or as my considerably better half call them…. “my people.”)

Anyway when we went back to check on the mouse later in the evening, it had gone. We were both extremely pleased to have saved a life to live another day.

Bad News.

Pootle and his sisters think differently from us and this morning left us not one, not two, not three but four dead mice.

Bloody cats!

« Reply #4953 on: 01 July, 2014, 01:39:00 pm »
Couriers - well what else? Ok, you did indeed deliver - to a neighbour, despite my wife being in, and despite the fact that she got to the front door before you drove off. How, in Gods name, the electronic device you presented to our neighbour, produced signed for by "P POPKIN" from T GOSLING I'll never know! Thank goodness you attached a photo of the front of the property where you left it!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4954 on: 01 July, 2014, 05:18:59 pm »
I have just received the response to second offer from the insurance company.

Why is this a grumble? Well the other side's insurers have offered a lower amount for the bike, due to it's age and wear and tear.  What. The. Fuck? The quote is for REPAIR.  Not replacement, but REPAIR.

If it was to replace then I would understand fair wear and tear would need to be taken into account, but how the hell can you account for W&T on a REPAIR.

Just in case they reading this, that's the bike quote is for REPAIR...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4955 on: 01 July, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »
A combination of sunshine, 3/4 humvees and medium height socks has left my legs looking like a bloody barbers pole >:(

My wife thinks its hilarious, I do not. I look like a right tit with normal shorts on.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4956 on: 01 July, 2014, 10:44:16 pm »
Cycling through the Hams this evening, the level of car driver idiots was annoying but the busses were all lovely.

Managed to fall off the bike as well....TWICE.  Once doing a u turn and the next coming to a halt and misjudging the distance to the floor.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #4957 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:08:12 am »
I can't sleep :(

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4958 on: 02 July, 2014, 08:37:52 am »
The BBC say it'll be raining in Ilkley on Saturday morning.

Guess where I'm going to be watching a brightly-coloured lycra blur whizz past
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4959 on: 02 July, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »
You'll be fine as long as you take a hat.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4960 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »
Bloody BBC. Why on in Gods name do you schedule "Today at Wimbledon" for 8pm, and then show live tennis until 9pm and NEVER BLOODY SHOW THE HIGHLIGHTS OF EARLIER MATCHES!!!!!!!  So I missed seeing Shrapova and Nadal thanks to you. Cretins.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4961 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:33:00 pm »
Bloody BBC. Why on in Gods name do you schedule "Today at Wimbledon" for 8pm, and then show live tennis until 9pm and NEVER BLOODY SHOW THE HIGHLIGHTS OF EARLIER MATCHES!!!!!!!  So I missed seeing Shrapova and Nadal thanks to you. Cretins.
Yeah, that. Also, stop moving the games around between the channels. We all have remote controls now and are capable of flicking between the channels to find the game we want; we don't have to get up and walk across the room and press buttons or twiddle knobs. Once we've found the game we want, please keep showing it where it is. YOU NUMPTIES.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4962 on: 02 July, 2014, 02:13:34 pm »
TdF starts Saturday and I'll be out slapping arras on the road for our Sunday event. And on Sunday I'll be sitting in a draught at the bloody computer, zapping entrants' FFCT licences as they arrive and churning out the bloody stats afterwards. Every sodding year. Bah.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4963 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:21:07 pm »
The weather gadget on my colleagues desk is saying temp 26.8C , 40% humidity , possibility of heat exhaustion………………………….

This is despite several free standing air con units scattered around  the office.  >:(

I'm wearing shorts, sandals & a T shirt.  I'm still too hot & I can smell myself.... :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4964 on: 02 July, 2014, 11:55:38 pm »
I got on a bus to Town today and as I was at the stop the bus came haring along the two lane, one way road trying to race past and dive in to the stop in front of a cyclist! When I got on the bus the driver called the cyclist selfish! Same driver going ito the bus station has to cross a two way cycle lane and again tried to turn across in front of a cyclist with a snarl at them.
I got the number on the back of the bus but by the time I got home ot ring stagecoach I had forgotten the bus number. it was 77724 or 22247 or somethi9ng like that. I would have called the driver a name but was genuinely too gobsmacked that somebody as reckless and angry as that was in charge of a bus filled with passengers and didn't say anything. Wish I had written it down or, in retrospect, I could have called home and left myself a message on the answering machine.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4965 on: 03 July, 2014, 06:27:33 am »
The route and time should be enough for the bus company to identify the driver (if they can be bothered).
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4966 on: 03 July, 2014, 05:39:11 pm »
I find the majority of the bus drivers hereabouts ( Route 32;Hanley to Uttoxeter) are very sensible & professional wrt to interacting with cyclists.Well,,with me anyway.
Could it be because I used to work with many of them on that route? ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4967 on: 03 July, 2014, 05:40:18 pm »
The route and time should be enough for the bus company to identify the driver (if they can be bothered).

The driver will have a unique identity number which should be worn by him at all times when driving.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4968 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:05:27 am »
Had to drag a friend all the way to Carlisle so I could be at the hospital for 7:30. Still sat in a lounge and could have come up by train for this time, saving my friend a 100 miles round trip.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4969 on: 04 July, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
I come out of a nice cool meeting room to find some f***** has turned off the aircon. Even with the window open it is 26C at my desk and rising.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4970 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:26:30 pm »
Had to drag a friend all the way to Carlisle so I could be at the hospital for 7:30. Still sat in a lounge and could have come up by train for this time, saving my friend a 100 miles round trip.

This is entirely normal for surgery.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4971 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:13:07 pm »
So, my legs are covered in welts from the horsefly attack on Wednesday.  I'm generally knackered, though can't tell if that's from allergic reaction or the piriton that's keeping it under control.  And I was up at 4am wheezing.

Better than a broken arm, admittedly, but doesn't bode well for tonight's FNRttC  :(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4972 on: 04 July, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »
Genesis, you utter bastards: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/01/07/14/2015-bike-launch-longitude

(too late to cancel the order for the El Mariachi ...)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4973 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »
Double utter bastards:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4974 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:06:18 pm »
Double utter bastards:

The Disc Trucker has competition - seriously, that's a lot of bike for 900 beer tokens even if the logo does look like it was lifted from a Black Sabbath album  ;D