Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626062 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15675 on: 31 December, 2022, 12:49:40 am »
It’s usually one or both of Professor Larrington and Dr Davis who has the Christmas cold and tries to infect me with it, so I shall do my utmost to pass this one on to both of them tomorrow  :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15676 on: 31 December, 2022, 03:41:37 am »
After a busy family Christmas at Chez C, I was informed by an ex-wife who attended that she tested positive for Covid on her return home. Almost immediately, I developed a nasty dry cough. If I’ve got bloody Covid for the third time this year, I will not be happy. Whether it’s Covid or not, like Mr L this has severely curtailed my NYE plans. So, Hootenanny it is then. 

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15677 on: 31 December, 2022, 09:27:31 am »
Another one here succumbing to infection. I’ve been nursing Dyl through his illness (possibly flu, given that he wasn’t even well enough to open his presents!) since Christmas Day, so it’s no surprise.
I don’t mind forgoing NYE celebrations, but I’d rather not be ill.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #15678 on: 31 December, 2022, 09:50:09 am »
Too many people with various levels of lurgy at the moment.  I have had a couple of small doses in the past nine days. It all started with us catching covid in late October and has been an ongoing theme of snorting, coughing and wheezing ever since and we have very careful ensured that we are not spreaders due to having to keep an eye on an oldie. 

Apparently hospitals are being crammed full of flu as well as covid cases at the moment.  🙁

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15679 on: 31 December, 2022, 11:05:29 am »
After a busy family Christmas at Chez C, I was informed by an ex-wife who attended that she tested positive for Covid on her return home. Almost immediately, I developed a nasty dry cough. If I’ve got bloody Covid for the third time this year, I will not be happy. Whether it’s Covid or not, like Mr L this has severely curtailed my NYE plans. So, Hootenanny it is then.

My clod has not yet developed to the point where it’s seriously inconvenient or apt to stop me driving 120 miles this afternoon.  GWS, Tim.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15680 on: 01 January, 2023, 08:29:45 am »
Don't need Covid this morning to feel like shit warmed up on a shovel: the damned neighbours let loose with the fireworks at midnight - it was like Beirut in the 1980s. Some arsehole with a Colonel Bogey horn was also driving round the village sounding the bloody thing every 10 seconds.

I hope they all have vile hangovers this morning.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15681 on: 01 January, 2023, 12:36:45 pm »
I wouldn't mind if they let off the fireworks at midnight.  It's the ones without digital watches who let them off at random times between 7pm and about 3am that get me.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15682 on: 01 January, 2023, 12:44:50 pm »
Some toerag was setting them off near Larrington Towers around hours 06:30 last year, while SHOUTING.  Here in Northern Cotswoldia things are a bit more civilised.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15683 on: 02 January, 2023, 01:15:14 pm »
I’m not entirely sure how I’m still alive given that whilst feeling like death warmed up over the last three days, I received sympathy from an ex nurse AND and ex GP both of whom I’m related to.  For this to have been the case I must have died at least three times over the weekend.

I’m just post viral with a niggling cough and lots of snot, although I managed to drive the 200 miles home. Dr Beardy has succumbed and taken herself to bed. Another indication of this one’s virulence. (Dr Beardy is the ex nurse in the above scenario)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15684 on: 02 January, 2023, 01:27:34 pm »
For the last few days I've had a nonspecific sore throat and a mild unproductive cough that doesn't seem to respond to my inhalers (peak flow is normal), and no other symptoms.  LFT is negative for covid and barakta seems unaffected.  Presumably I've managed to acquire some sort of lurgy from either the orthopaedic hospital or - more likely by sheer weight of numbers - the Sainsbury's pre-Christmas scrum.

This seems to have gone.  Throat's back to normal at any rate, and I don't seem to be coughing an unusual amount.  Never got a positive covid test.

By way of karma, something immensely painful has gone wrong with barakta's good[1] knee.  She doesn't appear to have bashed or twisted it, but it's visibly swollen, tender to the touch and about 4°C hotter than the reference knee.  She's currently holed up in bed, apparently with the aid of 4am diazepam, so I'm leaving her to it.

[1] Which is to say, the one on the leg with the mostly-functional hip.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15685 on: 02 January, 2023, 03:36:16 pm »
Still coughing a bit but most of the clod symptoms seem to have picked Dr Davis as an easier target so he's probably wrapped up and sniffing in a blanket while watching foopball on the telly while I am, er, not.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #15686 on: 02 January, 2023, 04:27:11 pm »
Spending the day in the downstairs bed elevating this fucking leg is really not much fun at all, cold and boring. Old Chromebook and my phone and the ergonomics aren't amazing...

May have to take emergency annual leave from work tomorrow to give me another day to elevate this leg (I don't fancy trying to do work with these ergonomics) and try the GP on Wednesday as this isn't tenable. I'm not supposed to be taking NSAIDs (cos of the still healing femur) but if it's bursitis like I suspect, that's the recommended treatment and it's taking A Lot of ibuprofen to make even a small difference. I also can't use paracetamol at all cos (it doesn't work for pain and) it gives me severe migraines. That's also bearing in mind I have morphine ongoing for fucking femur/leg which is probably the metal work.

The diazepam I took at 4am was probably not doing owt for the pain but did make me sleep which is what I needed.

« Reply #15687 on: 02 January, 2023, 06:44:40 pm »
Really hope you feel more comfortable soon barakta.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #15688 on: 02 January, 2023, 08:13:23 pm »
GWS Barakta.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15689 on: 02 January, 2023, 09:31:40 pm »
After moaning about my own ills, I now realise that I’m being a bit of a wimp and realise that others are a lot worse off. I’m sorry to hear of your woes N, GWS. Virtual hugs.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15690 on: 02 January, 2023, 09:39:18 pm »
Being ill is shit, but that sounds especially shit. GWS.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15691 on: 03 January, 2023, 12:49:54 pm »
A horrible catch 22.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #15692 on: 05 January, 2023, 05:42:24 pm »
This is a sort of ungrumbleish...

Bursitis seemed to clear up with two solid days of elevating my leg. Clobbering it with ibuprofen a bit probably didn't hurt either.

The rest of my body hated the ergonomics of sitting up in bed tho. Both hips playing up, including the right one collapsing out under me yesterday, just about managed to flail to other leg and not fall over...

One physio appt booked for 3rd Feb to discuss FEET which I think are excessively supinated cos I now have less-matching hips and can't walk without footpain. Oh well, excuse to keep avoiding the superspreader event which is my work's office and a bunch of workaholics who share their germs around.

« Reply #15693 on: 05 January, 2023, 09:18:09 pm »
B given what you have been through in the last twelve months I think that your are more than entitled to a bit of grumblish time.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15694 on: 07 January, 2023, 12:48:31 pm »
Either just before or just after Christmas I clean all our carpets, especially the kitchen which gets pretty messy.  Today was the day.  I rented a Rugdoctor cleaner from our local Asda.  Got it home filled it up and then tried to use it.  Every time I pressed the start button it tripped all the electrics!  With the journey, etc that is about 3 hours wasted.

« Reply #15695 on: 08 January, 2023, 06:51:01 pm »
You have carpet in the kitchen? I've not seen that since around 1980 and they were carpet tiles that could be washed in the sink!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #15696 on: 08 January, 2023, 07:19:45 pm »
We bought a house in 2002 that had carpet tiles in the kitchen. From a dog owner that lived like a student. They were minging and the first thing we fixed in the house.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15697 on: 08 January, 2023, 11:08:18 pm »
“Drat and, moreover, fiddlesticks!” exclaimed Mr Larrington, as the bathroom light went “PHUT” shortly after he had settled in for a nice long soak >:(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15698 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:48:59 pm »
It's January.  I left the front door open only long enough to read the gas meter.  And now there’s a fucking fly in here >:(

« Reply #15699 on: 09 January, 2023, 03:33:25 pm »
You have carpet in the kitchen? I've not seen that since around 1980 and they were carpet tiles that could be washed in the sink!
It is specifically for places like kitchens and we really like it. Our last house had carpet tiles. It is a bit warmer to the feet and just needs the machine running over it every now and then.