Author Topic: Wiggo to team Sky  (Read 7569 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Wiggo to team Sky
« on: 31 August, 2009, 05:29:55 pm »

HLN Wielrennen - Tourrevelatie Wiggins nieuwe kopman Team Sky (984913)

or, in something approximating English

Bradley Wiggins is the new kopman of the brand-new British Team Sky.  The number four of the voorbije Tour all considerable time contacts maintained with the new pastry ProTour-formation, but the knot definitively has cleaved now.  Wiggins rides currently yet for Garmin and will from next season with Team Sky the spear point for the large rounds become.  Next to Wiggins, Edvald Boasson Hedges (Team Columbia) and our countryman Serge Pauwels (Cervélo) affirmed plow also their transition to the stone realm of Dave Brailsford and Scott Sunderland.  (dea)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

gonzo

Re: Wiggo to team Sky
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2009, 05:38:18 pm »

HLN Wielrennen - Tourrevelatie Wiggins nieuwe kopman Team Sky (984913)

or, in something approximating English

Bradley Wiggins is the new kopman of the brand-new British Team Sky.  The number four of the voorbije Tour all considerable time contacts maintained with the new pastry ProTour-formation, but the knot definitively has cleaved now.  Wiggins rides currently yet for Garmin and will from next season with Team Sky the spear point for the large rounds become.  Next to Wiggins, Edvald Boasson Hedges (Team Columbia) and our countryman Serge Pauwels (Cervélo) affirmed plow also their transition to the stone realm of Dave Brailsford and Scott Sunderland.  (dea)

Oooo, that's quite big news and contrary to what he was saying! Makes it more likely that Contador will be heading in the direction (hence the reason why Wiggo left) of Garmin I reckon.

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2009, 06:01:46 pm »
If I get the chance, I might ask him personally next weekend. :smug:
He's entered the Rudy Project series TT hosted by my cycling club.

It's a circuit based on Botolph Claydon in Buckinghamshire if anyone is interested in watching a master at work.

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2009, 06:04:33 pm »
One can imagine garmin wanting to bring on board a 'guaranteed' contender for the top spot rather than a podium. And Wiggins would give Team SKY much needed exposure in the UK market as he already is a household name.

Apparently with Sky buying out Wiggins contract, that means Garmin can afford Contador. Sky get a proven tour contender with whom they might win overall, but whom would definitely provide an inspiration and lead for developing a UK tour winner.

All should become clear tomorrow.

If I get the chance, I might ask him personally next weekend. :smug:
He's entered the Rudy Project series TT hosted by my cycling club.

Announcements on new team signings can be made tomorrow as the embargo ends. It should be old news by the TT.

..d

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2009, 06:09:06 pm »
I wonder of this is a by-product of Lance Armstrong starting his own team and taking some big hitters with him, weakening the Astana team, meaning that Contador is after a stronger team, which means that Garmin can take advantage, which leaves Wiggo coming back to Britain with Sky. Sort of worked out well I think. I think Sky could be an excellent place for developing Brittish Tour riders.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2009, 06:19:17 pm »
It will only work out well for Wiggins if he gets a decent team around him,and I havnt seen much to say he will.

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:10:03 pm »
And leaves Vino top dog at Astana  ::-)
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:14:42 pm »

Potentially, king of a very small sandcastle.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

David Martin

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:18:15 pm »

that may or may not be a) a protour team and/or b) at the tour next year.

..d

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2009, 09:27:45 pm »
Does anyone know who owns the Astana Protour license?  Will Bruyneel be able to transfer it to RadioShack, or does it not work like that?

BTW Cyclingnews.com makes no mention of Wiggins moving in the "rider transfers" section

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:01:12 pm »

Deja vu all over again!

But what's all this about pastry in the original mecha-translation? 

Oh, and yay Wiggo top dog!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »

Oh, and yay Wiggo top dog!

Not just top dog, but the spear point of the stone realm for the large rounds  :)

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:12:31 pm »
"the new pastry ProTour-formation"

Why did nobody tell me about the YACF ProTour team launch  :P

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:13:47 pm »
Today Karsten Kroon was interviewed on Dutch TV. He didn't want to reveal his new team but said that it would be a team where he wouldn't be talking Dutch or French. The commentator linked that to team Sky.

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:54:12 pm »
Today Karsten Kroon was interviewed on Dutch TV. He didn't want to reveal his new team but said that it would be a team where he wouldn't be talking Dutch or French. The commentator linked that to team Sky.

The Cyclingnews Guide To Rider Transfers | Cyclingnews.com has Karsten Koon rumoured to be going to Team Milram - I guess you pick the rumour you like best  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:01:38 pm »
Why did nobody tell me about the YACF ProTour team launch  :P

Strictly Cat 5 events only?

gonzo

« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »
Why did nobody tell me about the YACF ProTour team launch  :P

Strictly Cat 5 events only?
It's an American team!?!

« Reply #17 on: 01 September, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »
Then again, this:          British Tour de France team face tough fight to sign Bradley Wiggins |
            Sport |
            The Guardian

quotes Vaughters as saying
"I would have to be clinically insane to sell that contract."
So who knows...

David Martin

« Reply #18 on: 01 September, 2009, 02:56:42 pm »
And given Garmins signing of some very good young climbers, it looks as if he might have some excellent support in the mountains in the next tour.

Team Sky have no website.

Who knows? Wiggo for Contador, though Contador is still contracted to be with Astana.

Fun and games

..d

« Reply #19 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:19:17 pm »
IIUC Contador still hasn't properly explained his link to Operacion Puerto, so you'd like to think the Team Sky would keep well clear of him.

If they want to be another "whiter than white" team then AC is not the rider for them.

rdaviesb

« Reply #20 on: 15 September, 2009, 12:29:56 am »
Which is why I don't think that AC will go anywhere other than Caisse d'Erpange, who tolerate riders who were very close to Operation Puerto.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
Team Sky have no website.

...while RadioShack have a website but, apparently, no team.

I have mixed feelings about Wiggo's possible move to Sky - I'd find it easier to want him to make the switch if I didn't like the Garmin team and its ethos as much as I do. (I'd find it very easy to want him to move from, say, Cofidis if he were still there.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

gonzo

« Reply #22 on: 15 September, 2009, 02:06:19 pm »
IIUC Contador still hasn't properly explained his link to Operacion Puerto, so you'd like to think the Team Sky would keep well clear of him.

What's particularly interesting is that they haven't signed him. They had the money to buy him and he was clear that he was available for the right price, but Sky avoided him.

Really Ancien

« Reply #23 on: 16 September, 2009, 11:03:06 pm »
The best move would be Vaughters to manage Team Sky.

Damon.

« Reply #24 on: 18 September, 2009, 01:18:49 pm »
Wonder what the sources for the "reports" are.  Sounds interesting though - why wouldn't Sky be interested in Contador, yet Garmin are?  And £2m is a lot of money to buy a rider out of a contract...
         Bradley Wiggins signs as leader of Britain's Team Sky, say reports |
            Sport |
            guardian.co.uk