Author Topic: Pigeons  (Read 4561 times)

Domestique

Pigeons
« on: 21 April, 2008, 07:00:22 pm »
How thw heck do you stop em coming into your garden  >:(
I dont mind sparows but I am sick of the pigeons, seems like there is getting more of em everyday  >:(
Can you have one but not the other?

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Pigeons
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »
Shotgun.

It's the only way to be sure.

steveB

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:45:50 am »
Try hanging up some old CDs, it certainly keeps the birds away from the allotment, although it won't look too good in a garden.

Pigeons come in three sorts in my book.  Feral flying rats; collar doves that are nice looking, persistent, have a worse song than a crow and don't seem too scared of humans; woodies - now as Clare says shoot the buggers, cut the breasts out and fry in a little olive oil, leave to go cold and have in sandwiches with horseradish sauce, yum!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2008, 06:11:11 am »
collar doves that are nice looking, persistent, have a worse song than a crow
Muhmuh-muh
Muhmuh-muh
Muhmuh-muh

All summer  >:(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Treewheeler

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:13:15 pm »
I catch pigeons by using a loop of fishing twine on the bird table then let the terrier do his work...

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:15:20 pm »
I quite like pigeons.  Silly birds.

CathH

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:20:18 pm »
I catch pigeons by using a loop of fishing twine on the bird table then let the terrier do his work...
Why?   :'(

bobajobrob

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:33:45 pm »
I like pigeons too - comical little things. They do tend to wander in front of your bike though >:(

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:13:12 pm »
I saw two pigeons mating on our fence the other day.  There was an awful lot of flapping and scrabbling in not a very long time - most amusing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:37:45 am »
I asked a local resident her opinions of pigeons...

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:20:37 pm »
In Oxford I once saw "where pigeons live" alongside a back staircase or something - absolutely disgusting, shit everywhere, the next generation of urban flying rats growing up in this squalor.  There's always some bloody do-gooder that will feed these vermin of course.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2008, 02:23:10 pm »
There seem to be increasing numbers of wood pigeons around. I think they could well be a very useful source of protein in the not too distant future.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2008, 02:24:54 pm »
I saw two pigeons mating on our fence the other day.  There was an awful lot of flapping and scrabbling in not a very long time - most amusing.

Sounds like my love life :-[

« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2008, 03:00:10 pm »
We have a pair of Collar'ds and a pair of Woodies in our small suburban garden, we've had both nest and produce off-spring.  I become rather attached to them.

Within our 10m x 10m piece of God's earth we have the 2 pairs of pigeons, regular visitations of Starlings, pair of Blackbirds, Blue Tits in the nesting box, Frogs and Toads (one of which lept under my feet yesterday...oops), a Robin, and I believe Chaffinches.  Recently have seen evidence that the Hedgehogs are back after a 2 year absecence (then we had babies under the lawn-mower in the green-house).

The Woodies have taken-up residence down the side of the house, maybe we'll have more soon!

« Reply #14 on: 03 May, 2008, 03:14:33 pm »
I like pigeons.  Similar to FF, we have a pair who nest in our garden, and also a pair of collared doves and woodpeckers who visit our garden.  Haven't had a hedgehog for a few years....

We used to have a red squirell who visited on a regular basis, but he/she has not been seen since 31 December 2007.

The pigeons happily co-exist with all the other birds.  Perhaps they are less of a nuisance in the country?   

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:47:37 pm »
I like pigeons.  Similar to FF, we have a pair who nest in our garden, and also a pair of collared doves and woodpeckers who visit our garden.  Haven't had a hedgehog for a few years....

We used to have a red squirell who visited on a regular basis, but he/she has not been seen since 31 December 2007.

The pigeons happily co-exist with all the other birds.  Perhaps they are less of a nuisance in the country?   

Noodley, have you had that Kate Humble bird and that pillock Oddie yet  ;D