Author Topic: Coping with the heat  (Read 7486 times)

Re: Coping with the heat
« Reply #50 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:01:25 am »
I'm a big fan of not riding my bike when it's oppressively hot.  (I know, I'm a rubbish audaxer.)  It's sometimes necessary, but I never enjoy it.

You're not a rubbish audaxer at all.  The hard part of audaxing is in the head, not the legs, so not doing something that you don't enjoy is entirely sensible.  Those that carry on without enjoying it are the ones that stop doing it altogether.  I love it and I'm in my 27th season.  I also don't like excessively hilly rides, so I never ride anything longer than 100km with big AAA scores.

In my view, a good audaxer is one that thinks through the ride beforehand, looks for possible reasons why the ride might "fail" and have plans in place. 
 - Might get lost?  Bring a map. 
 - Might get a puncture?  Take spare inner tubes
 - Might be too cold?  Or hot?  Bring suitable clothes. 
 - Might struggle to find food or water?  Make sure you carry supplies. 
 - Might not enjoy it?  Do something else.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #51 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:13:50 am »
I might stop for a longer rehydration stop and lots of crisps at around 3pm. Apparently, there’s a footie match on.  :thumbsup:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #52 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:21:26 am »
I might stop for a longer rehydration stop and lots of crisps at around 3pm. Apparently, there’s a footie match on.  :thumbsup:

Not an option for me on the mille pennines, I expect to be in Scotland at that time.

Also I'm sure I can't afford to spend 3 hours not moving that isn't sleeping.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #53 on: 04 July, 2018, 06:26:04 pm »
Yes indeed that is bad planning re. the footy. I am considering bringing a transistor radio to listen to the match on the bike.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 04 July, 2018, 06:28:41 pm »
Yes indeed that is bad planning re. the footy. I am considering bringing a transistor radio to listen to the match on the bike.

On the plus side, the roads will be quieter...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #55 on: 04 July, 2018, 06:37:57 pm »
Very true... Though perhaps more risk of drunk drivers!

« Reply #56 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »
J
Off topic
That afternoon riders will be on the unfrequented, very wide roads to Kielder or in Scotland (surely no self respecting Scot will take time to watch England), or the hill roads to Langholm and Lockerbie. The roads are quiet already. Any quieter, grass will grow down the middle.

« Reply #57 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:10:01 pm »
J
Off topic
That afternoon riders will be on the unfrequented, very wide roads to Kielder or in Scotland (surely no self respecting Scot will take time to watch England), or the hill roads to Langholm and Lockerbie. The roads are quiet already. Any quieter, grass will grow down the middle.

One of my favourite places in the country, just for the complete lack of traffic and long, wide roads.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #58 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »

Did you decide on what your sleep strategy was going to be for  the Buzzard?

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #59 on: 04 July, 2018, 11:13:33 pm »
Well, I've booked a Travelodge at Exeter services... So hoping to gab a few hours there. Mind you, at the pace I ride I suspect the red light establishments of Exeter would offer a more economical hourly rate!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 04 July, 2018, 11:19:26 pm »
I would speculate a red-light venue might not assist in coping with the heat...

« Reply #61 on: 05 July, 2018, 10:17:18 pm »
That's the Buzzard ridden.  I think I just stayed the right side of heat-stroke.