Author Topic: Why so little interest?  (Read 6063 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Why so little interest?
« on: 01 November, 2009, 07:44:07 pm »
I'm really shocked by the lack of interest shown on the forum for the World Cup Track Cycling that took place over the weekend. The GB team won ten gold medals and set a new world record. I'm sure there was massive interest on here during the Olympics. Is it related to the media interest I wonder? Which appears to be about zero by the way.

Re: Why so little interest?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »
World Cup isn't a big deal. It happens every year, more than once a year. It's not prestigious like the World Championships.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2009, 07:49:47 pm »
World Cup isn't a big deal. It happens every year, more than once a year. It's not prestigious like the World Championships.
Just a bike ride, really, eh?  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
Not just a bike ride, the events are world class races, if the best riders turn up. If it was just a bike ride, anyone would be capable of doing it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:22:32 pm »
Red button hell - you gotta create a buzz. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:35:12 pm »
VP needs to get naked again.

alan

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:43:25 pm »
I actually switched over from the cycling to the football :o

I find track riding a little boring after a while & I think that I am overdosed on it over the last 18 months or so.Never imagined that success for British Cycling & Team GB would be so common place as to be taken for granted.

The development of Team GB in the ProTour calendar,& particularly the TdF would be a somewhat different spectacle :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:50:47 pm »
VP needs to get naked again.

Nah, she's old news.

Lizzie all the way now  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »
My Mum takes the Daily Mirror and I looked through yesterday's copy to see if there was any coverage. The only reference to cycling was a brief article about Bradley Wiggins which contained a quote from David Brailsford "from the UCI World Cup at Manchester" about Bradley's future. No mention of the achievement of the British team at all. As my Mum said, "that's disgusting".

alan

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
What the sport needs is an ex jailbird who assaults women,drives whilst banned,drives stolen vehicles,does cannabis,is paid at least a couple of million £ a year after costing perhaps £10 million to sign on,does nightclubs,assaults Asians,fights with his team mates,kills other road users,represents his country,gets pissed on an aeroplane while sitting in a dentists chair & is generally regarded as a role model by young folk.
The sport would be headlining the sports pages everyday:it would be broadcast as prime time television mid-week & at weekends & there would be a fantasy ProTour League.
Me cycnical?Whatever gives you that impression

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:12:53 pm »
I'd have taken a lot more interest if they'd stopped at a pub. :demon:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

alan

« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:19:14 pm »
I'd have taken a lot more interest if they'd stopped at a pub. :demon:
Love it :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:30:14 pm »
I spent a good chunk of this afdternoon watching it. Fantastic stuff, especially the team pursuit.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:20:57 pm »
Well at least the BBC News at Ten managed a brief mention of the achievements. Sadly, the women's new world record wasn't news worthy.

« Reply #14 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:24:55 pm »
Watched it. Loved it. Lovely display of power and leg speed! Good racing too, if a bit one sided in the absence of a few big names. (FFS "stopping at the pub"!? What next?  ::-))
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:31:40 pm »
Watched it. Loved it. Lovely display of power and leg speed! Good racing too, if a bit one sided in the absence of a few big names. (FFS "stopping at the pub"!? What next?  ::-))

I was going to say "Tea & cake" but that should probably come before the pub. ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:33:35 pm »
My Mum takes the Daily Mirror and I looked through yesterday's copy to see if there was any coverage. The only reference to cycling was a brief article about Bradley Wiggins which contained a quote from David Brailsford "from the UCI World Cup at Manchester" about Bradley's future. No mention of the achievement of the British team at all. As my Mum said, "that's disgusting".

Huh, typical Daily Mail! ;)

Saturday's Guardian at least managed 3/4 of a column near the back of its footballsports section.

Me? I've been glued to the highlights all afternoon. Fantastic stuff. Geraint Jones was awesome in the pursuit.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »
Well, I watched it and it was absolutely sensational.  I can't understand why the women's world record wasn't better covered - they made more of the men's second fastest ever team pursuit time.
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #18 on: 02 November, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »
The F-I-L was watching it and couldn't understand why I initially showed no interest and then left the room for some peace and quiet.  "But you're a cyclist ???" he said.

Yes I ride a bike, but I find no interest in watching somebody else ride one; especially when all they're doing is trundling around in a circle indoors.

Stopping at a pub, or for tea and cake, might make it more interesting.  Getting outside and actually going somewhere would really make it interesting (That's why I do sometimes watch the Tour de France, for the scenery).  Turning the TV off and going out for a ride would be even better though  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 02 November, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »

Me? I've been glued to the highlights all afternoon. Fantastic stuff. Geraint Jones was awesome in the pursuit.

d.

Geraint Thomas. Geraint Jones is a cricketer

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 02 November, 2009, 12:26:24 pm »

d.

Geraint Thomas. Geraint Jones is a cricketer

You can tell that I'm a keen follower of cycling, can't you.

:-[

d.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #21 on: 02 November, 2009, 12:28:15 pm »
Double page spread in today's Times.

Watched Paula looking pained on the last bit of a hill in the NY Marathon. Great atmosphere.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #22 on: 02 November, 2009, 12:32:12 pm »
Well, I watched it and it was absolutely sensational.  I can't understand why the women's world record wasn't better covered - they made more of the men's second fastest ever team pursuit time.

The women's team pursuit is a fairly new event so it's going to get broken quite a lot as teams start to prepare properly for it. In Beijing when the GB men broke their own WR, they said it would be a long time before anyone bettered it. And yet here they weren't far off breaking it again - and with an arguably weaker team.

I know it's great and all very exciting and that but MSeries was right, it's only a World Cup. Results in the WC determine how many riders you can take to the World Championships, and this being the only WC round in Europe, GB decided to reduce the amount of travelling they'd have to do in later rounds by going all out for medals in Manchester. Plus it's their home track, of course. Watch how well GB do in later rounds in terms of medals to see the status of a World Cup.

That said, I think the level of media coverage was just down to disinterest - as usual.
a great mind thinks alike

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 02 November, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »
The women's team pursuit is a fairly new event so it's going to get broken quite a lot as teams start to prepare properly for it.

I read this morning that they're aiming to knock a further 15 seconds off the record, which seems to back that up.

d.

« Reply #24 on: 02 November, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »
My 2p worth... Although this is a cycling forum that covers many of the many and varied disciplines of cycling, my impression is that the racing aspect is not really one where I would expect it to be covered in any great detail. There are other forums that deal with this, so if I want that I'd look there.

There are members who race and follow racing but on the whole, the forum 'ethos' doesn't really seem to lend itself to this to any great extent. For me it isn't a major problem, as there's plenty elsewhere, and there are many other things that make the forum much better in other regards.