Author Topic: Anyone using a carradice bagman expedition QR?  (Read 4548 times)

Re: Anyone using a carradice bagman expedition QR?
« Reply #25 on: 19 August, 2020, 05:00:17 pm »
but does rotate when unintentionally persuaded to

This happens with the coat-hanger version as well. I mostly view it as a feature - something hanging off the back of the bike is always going to get knocked or bashed about. If it can move out of the way it's less likely to get damaged.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #26 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:33:30 pm »
Because im paranoid and want a battery backup to the dynamo (and so I can run the non dynamo wheels on shorter rides that might need lights) I've done this with a hebies mount as previously mentioned and secula.

The Hebies mount has a multi thickness cone  in the mount so the size of the rack rails can vary, in this case I've put them on the struts rather than the bagman.

You may also spot how I adapted the original really crap secula on/off rubber so that it actually pushes the switch on the PCB rather than has an ineffectual rubbery flop.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2020, 09:01:25 pm »
I’ve got the Mk2 QR Sport; interesting to see that it’s been discontinued.  I confess that I’d probably have gone with a Mk1, but that wasn’t available when I purchased mine, only the non-QR version.  There's quite a lot of "scaffolding" on the Mk2 - but I only use the stay on the non-brake side, eschewing the stay on the other side.  It's still slightly lighter than a full rack.

And I find the QR *very* convenient.  I have however lost TWO of the little QR release levers, which as the bolts are spring-loaded often means the bolt being ejected somewhere in my messy garage (I’ve not lost a bolt out on the road yet, but I have found myself riding with just one bolt engaged from time to time, and haven’t lost the bag).

« Reply #28 on: 22 August, 2020, 07:30:04 am »
[quote author=dme link=topic=116579.msg2529351#msg2529351 date=1597824530
They really are very simple :-)

Very impressive. :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:41:38 pm »
Hmmm just received my Bagman QR expedition and unfortunately the holes for the straps on my saddle bag are a bit narrower than the rollers on the plastic QR bar rendering it unworkable. Im not sure if the holes have been cut narrower than intended or there is a change of spec on the bagman but either way any one got a suggestion on how to bodge it?
often lost.

« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2020, 11:16:54 pm »
How much narrower? My modern Camper has the appropriate hole spacing, but the ancient Nelson is slightly narrow; with a bit of finessing I managed to get the zip ties to go diagonally through the holes and through the loops. I guess, depending on how far out they are, the options are to punch new holes in the back of the bag, cut a slot into the top bit of the plastic bar so a zip tie can be snugged up against it, or daisy-chain zip tie loops with one in the correct place on the plastic bar, and one through that loop and going into the bag/round the dowel.

« Reply #31 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:27:55 pm »
How much narrower? My modern Camper has the appropriate hole spacing, but the ancient Nelson is slightly narrow; with a bit of finessing I managed to get the zip ties to go diagonally through the holes and through the loops. I guess, depending on how far out they are, the options are to punch new holes in the back of the bag, cut a slot into the top bit of the plastic bar so a zip tie can be snugged up against it, or daisy-chain zip tie loops with one in the correct place on the plastic bar, and one through that loop and going into the bag/round the dowel.

Daisy chained zip ties did the trick, thanks. A bit ungainly but works. Not keen to punch/extend holes on the bag incase they fray.
often lost.