Author Topic: Suspension eyelet bushings, help  (Read 886 times)

Suspension eyelet bushings, help
« on: 16 September, 2020, 01:24:09 am »
RE: RockShox Monarch RL Rear Shock 165 x 38mm

I have bought a ROCKSHOX MONARCH RL suspension and am removing my existing coil suspension, see attachments. Unfortunately the old eyelet bushings won't fit the Rockshox. I've measured the Rockshox eyelet bore as almost 13mm in diameter (which the bushing & fixing bolt would slot through). The old shock's bushing length measured 16mm which I'll need to replicate to fit the existing clamps on my frame.

I'm assuming I should be looking for a bushing measuring a smidgen over 12mm OD x 16mm in length ??? Problem is I can't seem to find anything remotely close to these measurements. I have tried checking these measurements on the SRAM website but their documentation is abysmal as I want to verify what the eyelet bore actually is.

Any idea where I might be able to source the correct fitting kit?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DoijK4cJN93PmBFm7

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap

Re: Suspension eyelet bushings, help
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2020, 01:56:54 pm »
It's a bit of a confusing topic but I think I've sussed it out and know what the measurements actually mean now.

Having been clueless before I've put together a 101 for the benefit of others.

The terminology is as follows:
bushing pin is the hollow tube that inserts into the suspension eyelets
end spacers slide over the bushing pin and fill the space between the suspension's eyelet and where it attaches to the bicycle frame
eyelets are at either end of the suspension unit which you push the bushing pins through
bolt secures the suspension unit to the frame by going through the bushing pin

I need an 8mm (internal diameter) x 16mm (length) bushing (i.e. bush pin) according to my vernier caliper but this actually translates to a more accurate 8mm x 15.7mm according to what's actually buyable on supplier's websites.
The 8mm is the internal diameter of the bushing pin and the 15.7mm is the length of the bushing pin.
The end spacers pad out the eyelet width to match the length of the bushing pin

When I buy, I know this bushing pin is compatible (inside diameter of the Rockshox Monarch eyelet is about 12mm) with the Rockshox Monarch as it is stated in the listing but sellers don't ever seem to actually mention this measurement which confused me as I figured this measurement is what you had to include when searching for parts.
The '8mm' (internal diameter of the bushing pin) equates to the size of bolt I'll need to secure the suspension to the frame hence an M8 bolt, which I have from the original suspension unit.

So essentially:
From what I can see when looking for a mounting kit you need to know
  • The model of suspension you've got obviously
  • Bolt size i.e. M6, M8, M10 seem to be the most common
  • Bushing pin length
Hope this has clarified rather than  ???.

I'm also taken back at the exorbitant prices charged for these parts  :-[