Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168283 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #75 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:40:42 am »
I took the cranks and bottom bracket out of the Fuji track bike, cleaned them and re-assembled with smears of grease everywhere.

The hideous uphill creak has gone  :thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #76 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:55:37 pm »
Cleaned bike after the FNRttC - despite gritty grinding noises all night my Koolstops seem largely intact, despite the presence of masses of goo, which I presume must be composed of Mavic rim.

Put mudguards back on as I don't like having a wet bum and saddle pack. With its fairly relaxed geometry the Yukon looks better with them on, I think.

Removing and refitting mudguards is probably the biggest hassle of bike-on-plane transportation. They'll have to come off again at the end of August.

Oh, and goodbye, lawyer lips.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #77 on: 23 June, 2008, 07:33:29 am »
Fettled 98 bikes(or version there of) in 4 and a bit hours yesterday, ok with the help of 4 others :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

vince

« Reply #78 on: 23 June, 2008, 07:36:46 am »
Turned the handlebars to put my bike in the bike bag for the boating holiday I should have started two days ago (got another half day at work to go and I'm in trouble). It doesn't sound much fettling wise, but it's the first time the bolts have been loosened since it was built 4 years ago and I was a little worried that a couple may have stuck.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #79 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:11:57 am »
Fettled 98 bikes(or version there of) in 4 and a bit hours yesterday, ok with the help of 4 others :)

An average of ~20 bikes in that time is good going, well done that man....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #80 on: 23 June, 2008, 09:01:18 am »
My Cateye Velo 5 speed/milometer thing, which went through the washing machine in my shorts pocket without me realising. It came through relatively unscathed although it increased my "maximum speed achieved" from 32mph to 87mph! So I've taken the battery out, let it air, and put it back together and reset it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #81 on: 23 June, 2008, 09:32:12 am »
I've been gradually bringing my old rigid Dawes MTB up to reasonable standard. It's a hack, so doesn't have serious money spent on it.

The other week I replaced the rear cantis with a pair I found lurking in a box, and replaced the front brake lever with one that works with the V-brake that a previous owner must have fitted.

Then the chain started jumping. So...find a block - I had to buy that; replace the chain - from another box. I greased and adjusted the rear hub as well - impressive how an old, cheap Shimano hub runs as smoothly as new.

Took it for a spin, and the middle chainring was skipping. On inspection the chainset - a nasty rivetted budget thing - was totally ker-nackered. Ordered a cheap one from Parkers; had to wait as it was out of stock. I finally got to fit it yesterday. A few more teeth and the rings sitting further in meant the old front changer wouldn't work. Another root in the boxes brought an old deep-cage triple changer to light, so fitted that. It needed a longer cable, so I searched out a new one. I then had to adjust the routing so the cable would pull the right amount.

Eventually I managed to get out for a few hilly miles. Everything worked.

It's also had a new headset this year, so I don't think there's much else to go wrong.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #82 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:17:24 am »
I have finally admitted failure in attempting to fettle (or even pay others to fettle) the free tandem we picked up from Phil a few eeks ago.  :(

Now saving up for a new/second hand one  :)

alan

« Reply #83 on: 25 June, 2008, 08:09:39 pm »
I have succesfully adjusted the front & rear mechs to stop the chain falling of the largest sprocket & granny ring plus selecting the largest chainring without hesitation.
I am feeling very pleased about this ;D

« Reply #84 on: 01 July, 2008, 10:53:40 pm »
New Dura Ace cassette and shifter cables, KMC chain. All working very nicely.

And new SPD cleats for my shoes. I have finally discovered that there is a hole in the sole to allow you to change the backplates too.  Never noticed that before. Which is good as I stripped a backplate thread.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #85 on: 01 July, 2008, 10:57:43 pm »
Bowline bowline bowline, keep those doggies bowline, rawhide!

I've been tying knots in shock cord.  To go with the basha.  I now have six skinny little elastics with a bowline at each end, ready to play. 

The rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, and back in the hole...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #86 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:01:24 pm »
readjusted the position of the back wheel in the dropouts as i must have not tightened the qr lever enough after my painful wrestling with the new tyre i fitted yesterday.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

annie

« Reply #87 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:05:32 pm »
Nothing yet but tomorrow the chainset will be removed

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #88 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:29:29 am »
Micro adjusted rear brake!

'bout as much as I can manage.

Tip : Avoid that last minute fettle before an event! :-[
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #89 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:17:38 am »
Last night I finally got the front mech on my road bike working again. Its a Shimano Tiagra triple shifter and it has been driving me mad. I took it off months ago when it seized up due to the nasty chalk / mud paste that you get in some puddles and car parks round here. Got it dismantled cleaned lubed and reassembled OK but getting it adjusted again was a nightmare. I could get it to work fine with either the inner and middle or the outer and middle chain ring but not all three ! Stripping and reassembling entire motorbike engines was easier than this.
Reading Park Tools web site and Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance didn't provide the answer. Finally yesterday a determined Google search and reading many posts found the essential missing bit of information. It's all in the  cable tension. The high low adjusters aren't going to help unless the cable tension is right (and there is no cable adjuster on my bike). So undo cable clamp at the shifter, adjust low adjuster so that its about right put a bit of tension on the cable with a pair of pliers and tighten the clamp. A cup of tea and five minutes twiddling the high and low adjusters and it shifts better than when new !
I think I am going to write to Mr Zinn and ask him to revise the next edition of his book so that in the section on front mechs the first sentence is

"First get the cable tension right".

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #90 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:47:32 pm »
Last night I fettled my old bike, which now belongs to a friend.  (It had "a creaking noise" - seems to have vanished after I tightened the pedals.)

At Glastonbury I made a 3-legged wooden stool & had a go at blacksmithing & made an S-hook!  Does that count as fettling?   It was damn good fun, anyway :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #91 on: 02 July, 2008, 02:06:27 pm »
I took an 80s vintage single finger MX bmx brake lever with a cheap split clamp and hammered and bent the clamp to make it fit the centre section of a set of drops

It is now sat on the fixie as an extremely cheap alternative to a dia-comp gold finger, works just fine

« Reply #92 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:28:49 pm »
Installed a 12k carbon weave fork onto the MonstaThorn.

annie

« Reply #93 on: 03 July, 2008, 12:02:16 pm »
My biggest fettling job to date :thumbsup:  Just put the cassette back on the bike, all is running nice and smoothly now.  My hands might not agree but I am very proud of myself.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #94 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:19:14 pm »
Put new brake blocks on - hopefully I'll be able to stop on the hills on Sunday

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #95 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:14:28 pm »
I bought a new bike computer and fitted it. My old one survived going through the washing machine unscathed, but today the wires to the sensor got stretched and snapped to not-working-point. So I fitted a new one; ugh it's a fiddly job.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #96 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:20:57 pm »
Put a new back tyre on the Audax bike ready for the weekend. Need to get some new brake blocks too as I noticed that they are getting a bit thin.

« Reply #97 on: 03 July, 2008, 11:43:44 pm »
After multiple stops on the way home, I think I've fettled the rear brakes into not squealing, eventually by setting them up with zero toe in.  Any toe in seemed to make them squeak rather alarmingly, although it did require me to get going as fast as I could and them jam the brakes on to see what effect I was getting!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chipster

« Reply #98 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:11:39 pm »
Started fetlling my old (1990's) Timetrial bike...

Hubs have been striped and regreased and are now much smoother..  ;D

Now all I need to do is the Headset and find where I stored the freewheel and QR Squewer.   :-\

« Reply #99 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:24:44 pm »