Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 999488 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #5375 on: 28 June, 2019, 07:55:20 am »
The woodpecker is back on our nuts the last couple of days. The squirrels on the other hand seem to have vanished, must be better food on offer elsewhere. Tilly Dog stood down from squirrel watch duties and getting more naps in.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5376 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:34:09 am »
Tammy norries?

Hoo yus, notably the other day down at Sumburgh Head.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5377 on: 29 June, 2019, 12:06:58 pm »
Bonxies?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5378 on: 29 June, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
Dead red squirrel on road; first lizard of year.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5379 on: 29 June, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »
Over the last 24 hours, a pod of bottlenose dolphins, a bunch of choughs and some long trailing jellyfish.  Not in Buckinghamshire, in case you were wondering.

sam

« Reply #5380 on: 30 June, 2019, 06:09:12 am »
I was trying out a new light - actually an old one found hibernating in the loft yesterday - and it must have worked pretty well, because I spotted this little guy early this morning:

He was a willing enough model. After putting away my camera camera (which I started carrying after being stuck with a phone camera for an encounter with a pair of runaways last month), I went back to check on his progress. When he wasn't immediately visible, I became horrified that I had rewarded his patience by squashing him. Fortunately not. So I helped him across the road, which must seem like an ocean of tarmac on that scale. He wee’d* on my cycling glove, possibly in gratitude.

It reminded me of another King Kong encounter:

I don't recall the circumstances, though that looks like a gardening glove.

Also not spotted today, but since I can’t go back in time, meet someone who turned out not to be a vine:

It almost looks like we have the makings of a food chain.

* Past tense of wee is woe, according to one wag on the web

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5381 on: 30 June, 2019, 10:32:30 pm »

Sea Labrador by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

There are three who follow the boat - Charlie, George and Phil.  I think this is George.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

sam

« Reply #5382 on: 02 July, 2019, 04:45:16 am »

Obvious caption

« Reply #5383 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:09:17 am »
Gove bridge s the gap  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5384 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:51:32 am »
Yesterday I saw my fourth - or maybe even fifth - butterfly this year. :( :o

sam

« Reply #5385 on: 03 July, 2019, 05:22:29 am »
This a.m.’s ride was more about what I didn’t see: deer, which have been reliably popping up lately. Yesterday, for example, they made three guest appearances along my route, including in my neighbour’s driveway after setting off the motion sensor activated security lights. (Watch out deer, the guy’s got a kitchen garden and he’s not afraid to defend it.)

There are enough of them in the area to make me slightly nervous about going downhill at speed, as they’re often impossible to spot until they’re right there. Link shows Bambi swearing. You’ve been warned.

Tally did include a fox, cats having a conference of some sort, and a bat who graduated at the bottom of his echolocation class. To make up for the lack of topical photos, here’s one I took earlier, of other regulars on my rounds:

Wonder which of us tastes better

Gove bridge s the gap  ;)

Don’t know about Gove, but here’s Boris, either in a previous life or his next one:

sam

« Reply #5386 on: 06 July, 2019, 05:29:53 am »
Q: Why did the badger cross the road?
A: To laugh at me from behind the hedge as I fumbled to get my camera out of the saddlebag in time. As if I ever had a chance.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5387 on: 07 July, 2019, 07:11:16 pm »
what I think was a hummingbird hawkmoth in my garden feeding on verbena.
I was just finishing the lawn edges when I spotted it, gawked for a few seconds and ran in to get my camera, but too late, it had gone.

Looking at the recognition guides I'm fairly sure that's what it was.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5388 on: 07 July, 2019, 07:37:02 pm »
A big grass snake swimming across the Thames near Cricklade.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5389 on: 07 July, 2019, 08:10:52 pm »
I was just finishing the lawn edges when I spotted it, gawked for a few seconds and ran in to get my camera, but too late, it had gone.

Looking at the recognition guides I'm fairly sure that's what it was.
I saw one of those in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Amazing thing!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

sam

« Reply #5390 on: 08 July, 2019, 06:42:54 am »
Another early morning hopper, outside my front door then off on a jungle adventure.

(What can I say, I’m fond of creatures that wouldn’t have required the services of Eadweard Muybridge.)

« Reply #5391 on: 09 July, 2019, 08:41:28 am »

Lovely creatures aren't they. I first saw one in a the South of France years ago and was amazed when they turned up in our garden in North Yorkshire last summer. Not seen any this year though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5392 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:49:59 am »
Admittedly not today - but it was only today that I got round to transferring photos from my camera.  Chuffed to see these chaps near New Quay on the Cerdigion coast path the other weekend.  (A couple of other shots in link.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cGJsCzGzEyuLVDBAA

« Reply #5393 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:02:30 am »
and a few minutes later, these fellas came to play

sam

« Reply #5394 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:18:48 pm »
Apologies if this isn't in the spirit of the thread. I did see this, only it was at the Grant Museum of Zoology at University College London. It goes with my penchant for night rides. Under cover because when a creature gives its life to science, it isn’t pretty.

(click to show/hide)

Then there was the Micrarium, which you can step into like taking an elevator down to the level of things which you might call too small to be seen, or at least, normally noticed.

(click to show/hide)

sam

Badger up!
« Reply #5395 on: 13 July, 2019, 04:21:50 am »

Could it be…?

Yes, caught you!

Not exactly wildlife photographer of the year stuff. Even though I had a camera reasonably handy, it just wasn’t handy enough.

It was actually a four badger night, including two mid-assignation in the middle of the road.

sam

« Reply #5396 on: 19 July, 2019, 04:51:17 am »

Alpaca not impressed with the hunt for focus.

. . .

A few mornings later, watching the sunrise and his charges.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5397 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:06:09 am »
Two not really wildlife sightings from Saturday: firstly a pigeon with a hole in its chest. Judging by the size I'd say probably air gun pellet rather than shot gun but either way, a suburban park doesn't seem quite the right place for that. Secondly, a dog that was scared of me. At first I thought this was because I was singing, which is a justifiable cause of fear, but no, the woman with the dog said it was because I was sitting down (sorting out a shoe). The range of odd things dogs are nervous of seems to be as great and varied as for horses.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

sam

« Reply #5398 on: 22 July, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »
...At first I thought this was because I was singing, which is a justifiable cause of fear, but no, the woman with the dog said it was because I was sitting down (sorting out a shoe).

Was it one of these songs?

My personal favourite:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5399 on: 22 July, 2019, 05:22:27 pm »
The first damsons falling off the trees, almost a month early.