Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468663 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2750 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:32:56 pm »
took a mole to the quacks this evening, it seemed to have been growing recently, and looking a bit funny.

doc suggested seborrheic keratosis, which is luckily benign.

free reminder about the use of sunscreen came with the appointment
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

essexian

« Reply #2751 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:10:32 pm »
So spoke to my GP this morning about the gout who has arranged for some blood tests tomorrow to check for acid build up and to make sure my kidneys are fine... They were when I had them checked in March so I will be interested if there is any change.

One change there has been is the pain level in the foot since I started taking the new medication. I took it at 11anm with breakfast and then popped out to buy a new number plate.... Long story. Overall I walked less than 50m but ever since I have been in incredible pain, worse than it was previously. Also my foot is now very tender to heat or cold and I have numbness in my hands and other foot.

So not best pleased and generally a bit pissed off especially as I had to ask some of my team to take on my workload when they are already overworked. They dont mind but it makes me feel bad. I don't suppose writing audits which could cost contracts and or jobs on 3 hours half sleep is a good idea really.

Thanks for listening.

Edit with morning update: Well, slept a little better last night (5 hours) as I took a sleeping pill which helped me drop up (the first one I have taken in years!). However, the pain is still at a higher level than before and the numbness is still in my hands. I have, of course, spent the last 20 minutes looking up what it could be if its not gout. I know my doctor hate people doing that! At least I know its not West Nile Fever  ;D

« Reply #2752 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:27:50 am »
Had a tube up my nose and down into my gut yesterday that tested the strength of my swallowing and upper sphincter. It was part of a research study that is testing the hypothesis that these are related to GERD in various lung conditions. I've got non CF bronchiectasis, and have pretty chronic GERD even with a decent helping of Omeprazole Renatidine and Gaviscon Advance. Had to have a week off meds and a 12 hr fast.

It was horrible. The RF said it looks looks I do have a weak sphincter.

I didn't ask, but I have to say, I thought at 60 per condition they are recruiting, I'll be amazed if they have power to detect relationships specific to the separate conditions they are looking at if they have different effects. Additionally, I'm sure they weren't looking at the different aetiologies grouped together in my condition (mine is at least partially genetic, but I get put in clinics with people who smoke and people who have been exposed to asbestos).

I'm very sure the the PI (who is at the same uni as me) will know and it's simply that they couldn't get the money to look more closely. I'm not expecting that this work will lead to treatment changes for my condition.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2753 on: 18 June, 2019, 12:28:12 pm »

Edit with morning update: Well, slept a little better last night (5 hours) as I took a sleeping pill which helped me drop up (the first one I have taken in years!). However, the pain is still at a higher level than before and the numbness is still in my hands. I have, of course, spent the last 20 minutes looking up what it could be if its not gout. I know my doctor hate people doing that! At least I know its not West Nile Fever  ;D

When I had my head lumps in February I was very pleased I did self-diagnosis by google. I was right and short-circuited the process by quite a bit, the result being given a week’s supply of anti-viral drugs, which sorted the problem out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

essexian

« Reply #2754 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:18:05 pm »
I suppose it can be good, Dr Google, for putting some peoples minds at rest and for knowing what questions to ask the doctor etc. However, I would still prefer to put my trust in someone who has trained for the job.

That said, I am not liking these Prednisolone tablets one bit. They have not decreased the pain at all: indeed I would argue my foot hurts more than it did, and it is now considerably more swollen than it was before I started taking them!

I do wonder whether this is actually gout but I suppose I will know for certain on Friday when my blood tests come back.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2755 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:11:07 pm »
I didn't think prednisolone did anything for pain directly, I thought it was a very strong anti inflammatory?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2756 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:32:44 pm »
I suppose it can be good, Dr Google, for putting some peoples minds at rest and for knowing what questions to ask the doctor etc. However, I would still prefer to put my trust in someone who has trained for the job.

That said, I am not liking these Prednisolone tablets one bit. They have not decreased the pain at all: indeed I would argue my foot hurts more than it did, and it is now considerably more swollen than it was before I started taking them!

I do wonder whether this is actually gout but I suppose I will know for certain on Friday when my blood tests come back.

Inlaw Paw had a couple of run-ins with erysipelas, which did a pretty good impression of gout: swollen, inflamed & painful at big toe joint, spreading to rest of foot and IIRC up leg before the GP got a good bead on it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2757 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:46:59 pm »
Prednisolone is a steroid, which will suppress inflammation.

It may also increase blood pressure, blood sugar, thin the skin and bones as well as facilitating infection and its spread...

essexian

« Reply #2758 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:56:26 pm »
Just back from yet another emergency GP appointment as my BP on my own monitor was 180/110 with a pulse of 110 which is way higher than my standard figures. I also felt totally crap and my foot is twice (okay 125%) of its normal size. When the GP did it, it was higher still at 210/140 with the same heart rate. Not good he said.

It seems I have had a very nasty reaction to the steroid, hence the high blood pressure while the results of the blood tests were back which does not show any uric acid or Na/K in my system higher than normal so no gout.... but it could be gout but the steroid may be suppressing the results, or something. By this time, my normally good ability to take on board information had left me.

So, stop taking the steroid NOW and return to the gout medication which gave me the runs but take a lower amount. I've been given Co-amoxiclav for the infection in my toe joint (I think that's what the doctor said) and Amlodipine for my BP. I am to go back on Thursday for further monitoring.

Frankly, I am really, really miserable with all the pain.

Goes off to look up: "erysipelas" Thanks Dave, T42 and Hellymedic.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2759 on: 18 June, 2019, 05:00:41 pm »
Hoping you get better PDQ!

Co-amoxiclav is otherwise known as Augmentin; it's amoxicillin with a 'boost' of clavulanic acid.

Chris S

« Reply #2760 on: 18 June, 2019, 05:40:15 pm »
Goes off to look up: "erysipelas" Thanks Dave, T42 and Hellymedic.

I've had a couple of bouts of that - in my right shin; it's unbelievably painful. I was so delirious with fever the second time I had it, I misheard the doctor give his diagnosis and thought he said "You've got syphilis".  :facepalm:

Also known as "St Anthony's fire"; well named - the pain is very much a burning sensation. Also common in pigs, according to fboab. So that's nice.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2761 on: 18 June, 2019, 10:29:06 pm »
Ouch EssexIan, that sounds really grim and unpleasant all round. Well done for going back to doc, those symptoms were definitely worrying. Augmentin is good stuff, hopefully that'll zonk whatever's infectiony and let everything else improve a bit.

essexian

« Reply #2762 on: 19 June, 2019, 06:10:07 am »
Thanks.

Managed to sleep a little better last night: all six hours of it and was able to lay down to do so for the first time in four days.

My foot is still swollen, quite red and I still am having problems walking but its not as bad as it was yesterday lunchtime!

My health does feel a little like an episode of "House".

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2763 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:19:57 am »
@essexian: here's hoping...

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I am utterly fed up with the beta-blockers.  Last Thursday I did a shortish ride with a good bit of climbing: yesterday, four days later, I went out again but still hadn't recovered and more or less crapped out at 46k.  I've also been miserably depressed and unable to stick at anything, and it takes me two espressos and a hunk of chocolate to get up & running in the morning.

Just made an appointment with the doc to plan BB withdrawal.  No ifs, just how and how fast and I don't give a shit what the cardiologist said: these damned things are going to kill me.

essexian

« Reply #2764 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:40:50 am »
Losing my faith in modern medicine.

So, just back from my fourth visit to the doctors this week with yet more pills to take/advice to follow. Frankly, I am starting to think I would be better off letting my body fix itself rather than using modern medicines to do so.

As you will know….sorry I know I have been boring on for England (after places are available) about my Gout… I was prescribed some steroids on Sunday to help with this after all previous medications had been ineffective. This was also ineffective and indeed allowed an infection to gain a hold in my left calf.  This seems to be on the mend thankfully but was bloody painful.

However, all this messing about seems to have caused my BP and heart rate to increase to something silly. The GP gave me another BP pill which has brought that down a bit but has done nothing for my heart rate: 110 at the moment! So, have another pill to slow that down... a Beta Blocker.

Frankly, no, I am not going to take anything else as my body seems to be in a right state and one drug just seems to cause other issues (I've had bad reactions to BB previously!). I do wish I had not bothered going to see the GP for a simple gout attack. Yes, it’s bloody painful and yes, it was causing me not to be able to sleep/exercise/work without pain etc but the side effects seem to be worse.

So, I am just going to monitor it for a couple of weeks which is how long the doctor said this attack will last….. 6 to 8 weeks for a gout attack! That’s excessive as normally they last less than a week for me. I am only going to return to the doctor in the meantime if I become very unwell and need A&E treatment.

While the doctors have done everything by the book: trust me, I read up on it, and I can’t blame them for anything, it seems the book isn’t always appropriate.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2765 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:31:30 pm »
Sometimes it does feel as if they're using imperial spanners on metric nuts.  I just got back from the quack's with an OK to chop my beta-blockers in half but on no account to stop them, even by tapering off.  Well yes, I can understand why they were inflicted in the first place (a single instance of atrial fib in 24 hours  :o ::-) ) but while my inner animal grumbles, roars and claws at the walls I can also understand that it's probably the only thing in the toolkit that fits.

Mentioned to aforesaid gent that in March my average distance was >80k per sortie with a couple of 100s and a 140 and since BB infliction end of May it's been <50 with a max of 84. "Don't you think that you're a bit obsessed with cycling?" sez he. Admire my self-restraint: I did not lay him out.

Sometimes, though, I think that if you pronounce one sentence with several figures in it they stop listening after two.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2766 on: 20 June, 2019, 07:20:37 pm »
If anyone here wishes to post about hand issues please name the offending digit; don't use numbers.
The names I suggest are thumb, index, middle or long, ring and little (or pinkie for Scots). Numbering fingers causes confusion/ambiguity.

It's useful to know which side is affected and whether you are right or left-handed.

Pictures can be helpful (in spoiler tags if gory)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2767 on: 24 June, 2019, 01:55:26 pm »
Have decided to shift my annual cardiologist visit to January: he's too good at buggering up my summers.

essexian

« Reply #2768 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
Okay, bored of this now....

So, after a sleepless night again, I took myself back to the doctors this morning as things have got no better. Indeed, I would argue that they are worse in that I now have pins and needles in my hands/wrists along with the pain in my big toe joint. Oh, and my lips are tingling in a way completely unlike they do when I am about to get a cold sore!  Basically, I think I am falling apart.

The doctor did examine me in detail and said that I had no real signs of anything other than gout in my foot but agreed to send me to a rheumatologist for some tests, while my hands are most likely down to Carpal Tunnel.... I have had tests for carpal tunnel previously but the pains in my hands don't really feel like this. So, off for some nerve tests as well!

No idea about my lips!

Anyway, back onto the Naproxen as the other stuff did NOTHING for me. I suppose it will get better.... it must get better shirley.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2769 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:08:52 am »
Sounds grim. Kick 'em up the arse until something works.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2770 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:33:26 pm »
[random thought]

Is there any reason why your blood calcium should be low?

This tingling in the lips and hands screams low blood calcium to me!

Checking blood calcium levels is simple, cheap and quick; see if you can persuade someone to do this and

GET WELL SOON!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness RANT thread
« Reply #2771 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:08:36 am »
<rant>
Crikey, nobody warned me about the vile effects of beta-blockers and hot weather.  My blood pressure has been in the cellar the last couple of days, e.g. 111/57, and I've been laid out like a dead fish on a slab.  Stands to reason, though - depressed adrenalin reaction + normal hot-weather vasodilation.

What pisses me off is that every time I compare my current cycling performance with that of previous years I get "well, you are getting older". FFS, four years ago I finished PBP. Two years ago I did a 200k that took me up one of the nastier climbs in the Vosges. The week before I started the BBs I did a 140k toddle, and now I fret about being able to do the climb out of the village.  "Well, you are getting older". Shove it up your arse.
</rant>

« Reply #2772 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:54:22 am »
It won't be your resting BP (mine hovers around 95/63), it will be that the BB just don't let it rise much (plus the vasodilation). My brief period on the BB was pretty weird; felt like driving a car with a speed limiter. No matter how hard I pushed the accelerator, the engine just wouldn't go any faster.

Take care when standing up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2773 on: 28 June, 2019, 09:20:37 am »
Yeah, that's how the buggers work all right.  When I'm not taking poison my resting BP is usually around 130/75, or 150/75 in the presence of white coats.

I already had a 3-year stint on BBs, 2008-2011.  Living with them and trying to qualify for PBP is a gargantuan task: I crapped out on two 600s and gave up. Haven't forgiven the perps yet. Never will.

Chris S

« Reply #2774 on: 28 June, 2019, 10:21:22 am »
I assume there are other reasons why you're on BBs. I recently went back on BP meds, and made a point of saying "No BBs!" and doc said "Oh no, we've got much more precise drugs these days for BP".

I then guessed she'd prescribe an ACE inhibitor like I was on previously, but even they're out now apparently - instead I'm on a CCB (Calcium Channel Blocker).

Can't say I've noticed any side-effects yet, but then again, my BP is still knocking around the 140/95 mark, so they're not exactly mind-blowingly effective.