Author Topic: LEL 2013 controls - two controls need controllers (was three)  (Read 5218 times)

DanialW

Hi all

The LEL controllers met in York last wekeend, for an all-day sesh to hammer out our plans for the LEL controls. It was a really productive day, but it reminded me that we still need controllers for three controls.

The controls in questions are in Moffat (Dumfries and Galloway), Eskdalemuir and Great Dunmow, just outside London.

Moffat is likely to be a busy control. I anticipate a lot of people will sleep there on their second night on the road, which means a lot of catering. Happily the school has great facilities, including plenty of space for people to sleep. It's only a control heading north, so will only be open for a couple of days.

Eskdalemuir is a pretty small control, but as we saw in 2009 can get very, very busy. Catering is handled by Samye Ling Temple, which means the control needs a much smaller team. As Phil D did such an excellent job last time, he's been promoted to a bigger control further south. Again, it'll be used in one direction only, for riders heading south.

Great Dunmow is 40km from the finish, so will mostly be just a quick stop for tired riders to break up the final leg. It'll be only used south, but because of where it is will be open for quite a long time. However I doubt it'll ever get really busy.

Don't worry if you've not got experience of helping at LEL. I managed a control in 2009 having never been involved in LEL before. I had three months to prepare, and the team pulled it off just fine. You'll have plenty of support all the way, and you'll be part of really tight team who are always happy to offer their help. It's also a lot of fun!

If you're interested, drop me a line.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: LEL 2013 controls - three controls need controllers
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2011, 08:32:16 am »
Any idea of dates and times for these?
It is simpler than it looks.

DanialW

« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:09:08 am »
Any idea of dates and times for these?

Yes I do, courtesy of Mr UNDulates.

Rounded to the nearest 15 minutes:

Moffat: Mon 29 July 04:45 - Tues 30 July 14:00
Eskdalemuir: Mon 29 July 10:30 - Weds 31 July 04:15
Great Dunmow: Tues 30 July 06:00 - Fri 2 Aug 04:45

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »
Danial:
Is the plan to man the Great Dunmow control from 0600 Tuesday exactement? Or will you be taking a more er ... pragmatic view?

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

DanialW

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »
Danial:
Is the plan to man the Great Dunmow control from 0600 Tuesday exactement? Or will you be taking a more er ... pragmatic view?

The control will need to be open, but the extent to which it is open is, as you suggest, a matter for pragmatic consideration. I certainly wouldn't expect a full team, ready to go.

« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »
Danial:

The first rider back in 2009 would have been there in early evening on the Tuesday.

Keith

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:17:17 pm »
I reckon the second to last control can give the controllers at the last control a call when the first rider arrives.
It needs to be manned if someone arrives within the given times.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

DanialW

« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2011, 06:44:04 pm »
I reckon the second to last control can give the controllers at the last control a call when the first rider arrives.
It needs to be manned if someone arrives within the given times.

If the web team pull off their plan, no phone call will be necessary. Even if they don't, the controllers have agreed to work by email and routine reports. It should all be a lot smoother.

Happily, the one legacy we do have from 2009 is a registration database and a communications protocol. At a bare minimum, it'll take someone (i.e. me) a day to dust it off, update it and load up the new rider data.

« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »
I wouldn't expect controllers "on call" to look on the interwebs all day, just before they are manning a control for about 60 hours. If there's an automatic SMS or so, that's great too.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

DanialW

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
They won't. They'll have people to do it for them.

« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »
If you get desperate, I can do Great Dunmow.

« Reply #11 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:38:09 pm »
Mrs Mothy and I can do Eskdalemuir, on the basis that there's no dead animals to deal with. Half-dead cyclists are no problem. Tim.

DanialW

« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:46:05 pm »
Tim, you and Denice were ace at Thorne. Samye Ling do the catering so I think you'd all get on just fine.

DanialW

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2011, 10:59:06 pm »
If you get desperate, I can do Great Dunmow.

Cheers mister! 'll drop you a line and tell you what we've got planned.

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »
No no no no no.  TG has to ride.  It's the law.

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

Maybe he is planning on riding it on a Boris bike and yet still finishing days ahead of everyone else to man a control  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:06:17 pm »

He will, but perhaps a week or two beforehand. or perhaps two weeks and a day - just to prove a point.

DanialW

« Reply #17 on: 13 April, 2011, 02:42:46 pm »
Now that Denise and Tim have bagsied Eskdalemuir, the last big control to need a controller if Moffat. This should be a really important control, as I anticipate a lot of people will sleep here on the second night of their adventure.

If you're interested, or if you know someone who might be, drop me a line.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #18 on: 13 April, 2011, 02:51:53 pm »

If the web team pull off their plan, no phone call will be necessary. Even if they don't, the controllers have agreed to work by email and routine reports. It should all be a lot smoother.

The web team is busy...
Chief cat entertainer.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #19 on: 13 April, 2011, 03:07:12 pm »

The web team is busy...
Is that the web team or the Webb team?  8)

DanialW

« Reply #20 on: 13 April, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »

Mersey Roads, innit?

MB, very good!