Author Topic: Ok, I admit it, I don't know when I can register.  (Read 3172 times)

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
Ok, I admit it, I don't know when I can register.
« on: 13 April, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »
As an innocent to all things PBP I have to admit that I am a little confused as to my route to getting into the damn thing, and I don't know what homologated means either - there, I've said it...

As someone with no qualifying rides last year, what is the date I can register/preregister?

With all the information on this site and the official site, I can't see the wood for the trees.

My feeling is that I'll finally suss it out and then realise I've missed the date by an hour or something equally embarrassing....

Can anyone sum it up in words of 1 syllable for the hard of thinking?

yours, Lord H
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

Re: Ok, I admit it, I don't know when I can register.
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:12:02 pm »
+1
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:13:43 pm »
Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

With no pre-qualifying rides (i.e. a BRM ride in 2010) you can't register before June 11th and you can only register when you've done 3 out of the 4 qualifying rides.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »
Greenbank, thanks for the date.
On the official site it states that you need to give the details for all your 4 qualifying rides when you register.
If you haven't completed your 4th ride by then, can you get hold of the brevet number to complete the set to register?
Sounds like Monopoly - now I've got the set, I'll have 2 houses on my 300km and a hotel on the 600km, please...

cheers, Lord H

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:35:02 pm »
The registration period begins on June 11 and ends on July 17, 2011. Registrations can only be made through the PBP Web site. You can register before having completed the qualifying brevets, but you need to provide the missing brevet certification numbers on or before July 17 or your registration will be cancelled.

Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

Homologation number is the ACP certification number on each brevet card for your qualifying rides

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:39:32 pm »
You can register as soon as you have completed at least three of the four qualifying brevets which are scheduled between October 31, 2010 and July 17, 2011. However, if any of the four qualifying brevet numbers are not included in your original registration, you must return to the registration and fill in all fields, including the four qualifying brevet numbers, before your application can be processed by the organization and your frame number can be allocated.

When you've got 3 of your 4 ACP Brevet numbers, and it's after June 11th, you can register.

When you get the 4th ACP Brevet number (if you didn't have it by June 11th) then you go back to the site and put it in.

If you don't put in the 4th ACP Brevet number by the midnight on July 17th deadline then you've lost your place.

Once you've put in your 4th ACP Brevet number, and done everything else that needs to be done, then you get your frame number allocated.

You can't lose your place once you've done the initial registration with 3 ACP Brevet numbers unless you fail to go back and fill in the final one to complete the registration process.

The ACP Brevet numbers will be on an ACP sticker on the back of the Brevet card returned to you after the event, they'll also be listed on your ride entry page on the AUK results pages:-

Results for Alex Greenbank

For my 200 qualifier (Up The Uts) my ACP Brevet Number is 322840. That's the number they'll want for me for my 200, yours will, obviously, be unique to you.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »
Lawdie.  It was so much simpler when you just packed all your brevet cards off to that nice Mr Simpson  :)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2011, 01:52:48 pm »
From 2007 I vaguely remember, that all the other homologation numbers from the rides I had done just popped up as soon as the first of them was entered. Maybe they manage that trick again this year.

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2011, 05:26:23 pm »
The homologation numbers are being produced very quickly - e.g. within 10 days of the event that I ran - so having the first 3 when general registration opens should not be a problem.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »
Lawdie.  It was so much simpler when you just packed all your brevet cards off to that nice Mr Simpson  :)

Agreed, but it was a bit onerous on said nice Mr Simpson and his team of helpers at the time. I recall spending hours checking Brevet cards against printed lists of names and numbers... Still I got to witness Jack Eason's PBP entry first hand - four 600s. Very impressive.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »
Greenbank, thanks for the date.
On the official site it states that you need to give the details for all your 4 qualifying rides when you register.
If you haven't completed your 4th ride by then, can you get hold of the brevet number to complete the set to register?
Sounds like Monopoly - now I've got the set, I'll have 2 houses on my 300km and a hotel on the 600km, please...

cheers, Lord H
What a stupid question. It's all explained very clearly here:

Monopoly/Official Rules - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »
Thanks everyone for the information. I don't know about anyone else, but when I downloaded the official brochure and saw the amout of pages, I was slightly concerned that it would take 90 hours to read the damn thing.
I just get a wee bit paranoid about filling in forms of any sort. During The Dean ride I imagined the scene as I rolled up to the start in Paris, fresh faced and ready to go, only to be met by a PBP oficial.
The conversation would go something like-

Lord H  "Hello, I'm here to register!"
Official  "Welcome, can I see your papers."
Lord H  "Certainly, here they are"
Official  "Merci, and also can we have your signed photograph of Jaques Tati"
Lord H  "Errr"
Official  "Also the stone taken from the summit of Mont Ventoux..."
Lord H  "What page was that mentioned on in the brochure?"
Official  "Tut, tut, tut, always read the small print, mon ami."

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2011, 05:53:41 pm »
I have to say that I found PBP officials very, very helpful.

Ok, except the scrutineer who tried to "improve" the cabling from the dynamo to my two front lights. I was horrified as it had done over 3,000km like it was and he clearly hadn't a clue what he was doing. Luckilly one of his colleagues spoke fluent  distraught Franglais and bade him stop.

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #13 on: 13 April, 2011, 09:32:10 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at the PBP organisers, merely my own inability to understand basic instructions.
For example, I turned up 24 hours early for my 200km PBP qualifier in Cheadle simply because I neglected to read the information sheet correctly - which led to two consecutive 5am get ups.
Still, lack of sleep is all good practice for PBP, which is what I told myself on the drive back home....

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:46:46 pm »
Marginally better than turning up 24h late, which has happened often enough.

Or with only one cycling shoe.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Andrew

« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2011, 08:31:25 am »
Or with only one cycling shoe.

I forgot my cycling shoes once (I'd driven to he start, bike in the car). The organiser lent me a pair for the ride, no extra charge! A 100, or 150 maybe, round Alton way as I recall, I can visualise the hall where it started but can't for the life of me remember the name of the place. A good spread of food at the finish too. I miss such things!