Author Topic: Category S campervan. Steer clear? Or be careful?  (Read 1540 times)

Category S campervan. Steer clear? Or be careful?
« on: 29 September, 2023, 06:58:24 pm »
I am looking at a relatively low cost campervan tomorrow.  This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256223868943?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=697fab53a9344daaa99235b9b2e2eb8f&bu=43107467199&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20230929103507&segname=11051

I understand that category S means that it has been an insurance financial write off but has been repaired and usable.

Should I still be so worried that I walk away or is it possible that this is safe to buy?

It is a low price for the year and mileage which does worry me.  This van is a trial van to see if I really enjoy it as an alternative to camping or B&B before longer rides. I am perfectly happy to sell it in a year and get something better for continental trips if I like it.
Any advice much appreciated.

Re: Category S campervan. Steer clear? Or be careful?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:05:21 pm »
It looks like a conversion, if so is it registered as a campervan?

Presumably the seller can provide details of why it was written off and the remedial work carried out and by whom.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:07:45 pm »
I suspect it is still registered as a van like so many conversions but good question. Thank you.

I presume the main thing is to see the report from the assessor before it was re-registered?

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:29:24 pm »
Cat S means AIUI structural damage to the likes of the chassis, steering and suspension, etc.  If you do a Car Vertical check or similar you should be able to find images of the damage.  There are many very reputable and thorough repairers so if the repairs are done properly and well there should be little to worry about.

It's a way of getting a cheap vehicle but given it's history I'd probably get a full vehicle inspection from the likes of the AA or RAC.

It is also worth checking with the insurance as some premiums on Cat S can be very high.

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:34:39 pm »
I've no specific advice on campervans. but as in any vehicle, but more so with a rebuild, you need to be cautious. If you don't want or thinkit appropriate to get an engineers report, just be wary of ANYTHING that doesn't seem to be as it should be. S write off reflect a structural issue that may have significant failing if it hasn't been done properly, not just cosmetic damage. (xpost with PB)

For me, some major red flags would be:
Less than straight driving
Pulling to one side on braking
Uneven wear on tyres
Wooly or otherwise strange steering (which may be an issue given this is a van that you are not used to)
Evidence of vertical join (seen by looking at the reflection of the side on an acute angle - probably not relevant

The pictures look qiute nice, the wiring indicates conversion by enthusiastic amateur rather than pro.

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:36:09 pm »
Thanks ham

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:42:53 pm »
Having looked at the images I would agree with Ham about the wiring.  The issue with an amateur enthusiast build is that some things might not pass muster that are hidden away behind panels such as poorly installed insulation or not enough measures to counter condensation and damp.

I am not sure but don't caravans and motorhomes have to have their electrics and gas systems checked these days?

And finally, the fridge door appears dirty.  Such small but significant details always ring bells for me.

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:49:37 pm »
If you're not thinking of keeping it, consider that the next purchaser is going to be asking the same questions you are!  You might end up stuck with it.
It's a big vehicle, seems a bit overkill for a B&B alternative.

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2023, 07:52:02 pm »
Apparently from the vehicle checks it was front and near side panels. The guy selling has a body shop and repaired it for himself and converted it but now needs money.
Thank you for pointing out the fridge. I had not noticed that.

Paul. I want minimum of stand up space and a shower. I think it is actually medium wheelbase rather than Lwb

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:30:49 pm »
That "fridge" is weird. It's a Peltier one (and therefore shite) but has a warning sticker for actual refrigerant (C5H10).

I am not sure but don't caravans and motorhomes have to have their electrics and gas systems checked these days?

Only if letting it out to others and for some insurers. If it's a self-build that no one else uses no one ever has to inspect it beyond the MOT.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2023, 09:41:41 pm »
I've no specific advice on campervans. but as in any vehicle, but more so with a rebuild, you need to be cautious. If you don't want or thinkit appropriate to get an engineers report, just be wary of ANYTHING that doesn't seem to be as it should be. S write off reflect a structural issue that may have significant failing if it hasn't been done properly, not just cosmetic damage. (xpost with PB)

For me, some major red flags would be:
Less than straight driving
Pulling to one side on braking
Uneven wear on tyres
Wooly or otherwise strange steering (which may be an issue given this is a van that you are not used to)
Evidence of vertical join (seen by looking at the reflection of the side on an acute angle - probably not relevant

The pictures look qiute nice, the wiring indicates conversion by enthusiastic amateur rather than pro.

Bits of 4x2 visible, with bolts and wingnuts, in the chassis area…
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2023, 09:57:40 pm »
There are many reasons that a campervan makes sense for people, but it does give you another mechanised box to keep on the road, with all that means.

Just in case you haven't seen these, the Go-pod (there are other similar, but these are a good exemplar) provide the simplest easiest tug-along-bed https://www.go-pods.co.uk/, some friends have one and I was very impressed, and they hold their value. I wouldn't want to do an extended trip in one, but what they do, they do very well.

« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2023, 10:02:27 pm »
Dont

You aren't skint. You don't need to be taking a punt on something that could have all sorts of issues.

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2023, 10:26:09 pm »
Dont

You aren't skint. You don't need to be taking a punt on something that could have all sorts of issues.
I agree and will almost certainly sell it after a year or so and upgrade or never have another one

« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2023, 10:28:56 pm »
If you plan to resell it having something people might be nervous to take on (like you are) seems a poor choice.

« Reply #15 on: 29 September, 2023, 11:36:48 pm »
Paul. I want minimum of stand up space and a shower. I think it is actually medium wheelbase rather than Lwb
Yes, MWB, though that's still six meters long and considerably wider than the Transporter/Transit size vans, too big to fit in a standard car parking space.  The layout is spacious, just what you want to avoid cabin fever if spending weeks or months in it, unnecessary for a few nights away. If you want to experiment, maybe hire a few, see what works for you, this one is a similar layout to your link, from £110 a day inc insurance:
https://www.goboony.co.uk/campers/united-kingdom/england/moira/22406

« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2023, 12:10:29 pm »
Thanks for all the prompts. Decided no.  Bodywork was lovely but
Vapour lock was only on parts of the van.
Insulation not sealed and limited
Gas heater not connected at all
No dirty water tank
No mains connection external plug

Very much one persons first attempt at a conversion which is not fully finished as he needs the money for family back in Bulgaria.

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2023, 06:31:42 pm »
My old van was a brilliant camper van. None of your fitted stuff just an empty space. Because it was just a van I could park it anywhere and no-one cared.

It had a big lifting tailgate with headroom and plenty of space to cook it under in rainy weather.

Less is more.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2023, 08:59:20 am »
Hi Asterix, I know several people with vans like that but as flatus gently suggested I am a soft spoilt pensioner now and need my creature comforts.

Anyway it has proved I need something better so I am off to see something tomorrow which would be perfect for me as a get away and probably as a day van or one nighter for the wife and I

« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2023, 11:00:52 am »
We've got a panel van conversion based on the Fiat Ducato. A factory conversion, rather than a DIY, though ours is a 2004 - bought about 3 years ago as a toe in the water to see what we liked and didn't before spending a fortune. As it happens, we'd been thinking about getting one for ages (or converting our T5) and we bought just before the prices skyrocketed.
The smaller VW type vans have the advantage that they can get into many carparks and are quite car-like to drive. I know people who got rid of their car and just have the camper.
Downside is that they are cramped inside, don't have room for a shower/loo room, you can't stand up unless you pop the top (which potentially makes it colder in winter), if the bed is down you have zero other room etc.

Ours is in a standard van footprint, so will fit anywhere a normal van will. You come across a surprising number of height barriers that limit where you can park - for example when we went to Leicester recently we found the park and ride car parks had barriers so we couldn't use them. We googled for the city centre car park that tradesmen use. Quite a lot of seaside places have barriers on car parks, or limitations on parking campers on roads along the sea front (to stop people staying for days on end).

But, you can stand up in it. There is a loo and shower (never underestimate how useful it is having your own personal loo with you on days out - especially when your wife is with you). You can have the bed up and still have room to go to the loo, potter in the kitchen to make a brew or have breakfast in bed before getting up. Ours has a clear run from the back doors to the cab area, so you can put long stuff like big ladders in it - we can even fit a full sized fence panel in (just). It's just a really useful vehicle - the only issue is that it can sometimes be a pain to find parking (5.5m ish long), and you become irritatingly aware of how many people in small cars park in the few van sized spaces in some car parks because the spaces may have easier approaches.

Big motorhomes where they've build a body onto a chassis are something quite different. More space, but come with their own problems like even harder to park, and potentially water ingress problems that can cause major rot inside. A straightforward van conversion can leak around windows and roof fittings, but are more likely to be dry.

« Reply #20 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:27:59 pm »
Buying a Cat S can potentially get you a lot more vehicle for your money, but you want to know the repairs have been done properly. The biggest problem you are likely to have is when you come to sell, most buyers and dealers will steer well clear, so if you’re not planning to keep it long term I would say this is not a good decision. Also at that price range you’re not on a tight budget, better to get something that isn’t Cat S.

Self build conversions can also be problematic. DVLA are now very (perhaps overly) strict on allowing vans to be re-registered as Campervans. If registered as a van Insurance and RFL will probably cost more and you are subject to commercial vehicle speed limits. Getting the right insurance cover is fun as well. Registered as Motorhome is easy enough, but a converted van means answering all sorts of questions about the adaptations, and then paying an additional premium. Failing to declare that the van has been converted could be a costly mistake.

For the features/spec you want, and the price range, a factory conversion makes a lot more sense. Having owned a coach built that suffered water ingress I would also echo the suggestion that a Panel Van Conversion is less likely to suffer damp and if it does the consequences are less of a concern.

While it’s possible to fit a bike rack to nearly all vans, campervans and motorhomes, there are a few models where it isn’t possible or is complicated, so also something worth checking before buying if you are using the van for events.

« Reply #21 on: 01 October, 2023, 10:32:43 pm »
Good point about the bike rack.