Author Topic: Travel/parking options for our summer holiday - Heathrow and Southampton  (Read 1261 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Hello all,

I've been out of the UK for almost 10 years now so have rather lost my current knowledge on various travel issues.

We have a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton booked in June for my birthday (originally for my 50th but then Covid postponed it).

We fly out from Heathrow T5 to JFK, spend a couple of days in New York and then cruise back to Southampton.

We are driving over from Germany via Harwich (to drop in to see my Mum) with the plan to get the ferry overnight and then drive to Heathrow over the following day, via Mum's in Ipswich. We plan to book a hotel with parking at Heathrow and then when we return to Southampton to get a train or bus or something from Southampton to Heathrow, collect our car and drive home via Harwich.

The whole ULEZ zone thing is a bit new to me. Are the Heathrow airports within it? Klaus's car is a 3 year old diesel Octavia so I think is OK in ULEZ but if for some reason we can't take it, we would have to take my 24-year-old Mercedes SLK which is Euro 2 or Euro 3 (can't work out which) so presumably is not allowed in the ULEZ.

Secondly, I can't see any direct transfer from Southampton to Heathrow apart from taxis which are super-expensive. Does anyone know of an efficient route that doesn't cost the earth?

Is there a better option than car at Heathrow? Our flight leaves Heathrow at 11:40am so that's not too antisocial a time.

I've got six months to organise it but want to make sure after our lovely luxurious holiday the last bit isn't some train nightmare in the UK!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Travel/parking options for our summer holiday - Heathrow and Southampton
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2023, 10:18:47 am »
Heathrow is indeed in the ULEZ so Mr Khan would want £12.50 for arrival and departure days.

Train from Southampton to Guildford or Woking followed by RailAir bus to LHR?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2023, 12:34:33 pm »
Note, as hinted by Mr Larrington, not having a compliant car doesn't mean you can't take it in to the ULEZ, just that you have to pay to do so.

I don't know if the ULEZ computers and ANPR cameras know about cars from ABROAD.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2023, 12:38:59 pm »
Heathrow is indeed in the ULEZ so Mr Khan would want £12.50 for arrival and departure days.

Train from Southampton to Guildford or Woking followed by RailAir bus to LHR?
Is parking of a foreign-reigistered car at Guildford or Woking for 10 days a wise move?

Oops, I think you actually meant park at Heathrow and that is the way to get back to Heathrow from Southampton. This looks like a really good option!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2023, 12:41:05 pm »
Note, as hinted by Mr Larrington, not having a compliant car doesn't mean you can't take it in to the ULEZ, just that you have to pay to do so.

I don't know if the ULEZ computers and ANPR cameras know about cars from ABROAD.
Years ago when arranging to pay the Dartford Toll we discovered that there was a UK car with our exact German numberplate (MH-T XXX). It was apparently an old green Land Rover. It made it quite tricky when booking the Dart Charge that it did not add it to that person's account (they appeared to have one) but that we would pay for it. Then we changed cars to MH-T XXXX and it seems no old Land Rovers have a 4-digit number at the end.

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2023, 12:57:58 pm »

There have been quite a few news articles about foreign registered cars garnering UKEZ fines despite being compliant. They MUST be registered on the TfL ULEZ portal, and I recommend keeping screenshots to prove it, given the efficiency of the nominated TfL agent, whose name escapes me. 

Soton to Heathrow you can coach direct, which will be cheap and probably by far the quickest journey, depending on departure times. Otherwise as per Mr. L. train from Soton Airport to Woking and thence R2A to Heathrow. Soton airport is 5 miles from the docks.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2023, 04:02:53 pm »
It's simple - Southampton to Reading by train - Reading to LHR stations on the Elizabeth Line - presumably then a courtesy bus to the hotel where you parked.

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2023, 07:18:42 pm »
… foreign registered cars garnering UKEZ fines despite being compliant. They MUST be registered on the TfL ULEZ portal …

As the owner of a foreign registered car that will enter the UK this summer, can I ask: what is the difference between UKEZ and ULEZ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2023, 07:35:24 pm »
One key to the left?

(I've never heard of UKEZ.  London's got the Congestion Charge zone, the LEZ and the ULEZ, and various other cities have Clean Air Zones.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2023, 08:23:51 pm »
I suspect UKEZ is an off-by-one error, to judge from the number of times I typed it instead of “ULEZ” this morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2023, 08:35:46 pm »
I don't drive but am fairly certain that UKEZ is not a thing.

« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2023, 09:13:14 pm »
It’s not, it’s my typo  :-[
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2024, 04:18:27 pm »
I can't help with the parking / ULEZ but I would suggest the train from Southampton to Reading (it's an hourly cross country service) and then the Rail Air coach to Heathrow or the Elizabeth line which will involve a change somewhere around Hayes.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:38:40 pm »
I can't help with the parking / ULEZ but I would suggest the train from Southampton to Reading (it's an hourly cross country service) and then the Rail Air coach to Heathrow or the Elizabeth line which will involve a change somewhere around Hayes.

As suggested up-thread - with Elizabeth line from Reading to Hayes & Harlington, then cross the platform and head back on the Heathrow Terminals spur of the Elizabeth line.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #14 on: 02 January, 2024, 04:44:03 pm »

As suggested up-thread - with Elizabeth line from Reading to Hayes & Harlington, then cross the platform and head back on the Heathrow Terminals spur of the Elizabeth line.
But.  Do Not go as far East as Paddington or it will cost you lots more...  if you get inspected...