Author Topic: Still no MTB... sizing etc  (Read 3062 times)

Still no MTB... sizing etc
« on: 28 September, 2009, 11:56:31 am »
but I'm looking again.   If I'm 6'2"/32-ish" ins L, would a 20" frame be OK, or should I stick to 21"+.  I guess it probably would make too much diff.

I'm after a  hard tail (cheaper) in sale - up to £500-600.  Have looked at Evans so far.  Any tips?  Anyone in Oxfordshire or surrounds selling a HT or older FS?  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Still no MTB... sizing etc
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »
i'm the same height and 21" was too long for me, I'm on a 19.5" now.  Fo sit on some in evans, an inch makes a lot of difference (f'nar)

Tim

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2009, 12:09:30 pm »
6'2" and riding a 19" Rockhopper. I wanted something that was going to feel light and twitchy for my moneys.

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2009, 12:10:11 pm »
TT length is more important than seat tube, and the ratio between the two varies depending on manufacturer, so the answer is, "it depends".

I'm 6'0" and currently have a 19" Orange P7 and an 18" On-One 456. I've also owned an 18" Schwinn, an 18.5" Giant and a 17" ( :o)) Gary Fisher, all of which have fitted well.

As a rule, I tend to regard 21" and above as for giant riders only, unless you find a manufacturer which makes a very short frame. It's worth erring on the small side, IMO, as this maximises stand-over clearance. However, this is more important if you're planning on riding very technical terrain than if you are looking to ride farm tracks and towpaths, for instance.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2009, 12:11:13 pm »
IF you want new, 2009 Cindercone at paulscycles reduced to 550 quids looks a good deal. Or for less an XTC 4. Can even get 'em on the drip!

Sorry for asking, but are you sure about 32" leg? Sounds on the low side for your height.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2009, 12:54:49 pm »
Thanks all. So probably 19"-20" frame for me.

oncemore, poss 33" iL -  will have to check.  I notice Evans sizing guide only has rider height.

IF you want new, 2009 Cindercone at paulscycles reduced to 550 quids looks a good deal. Or for less an XTC 4. Can even get 'em on the drip!

Sorry for asking, but are you sure about 32" leg? Sounds on the low side for your height.

Tim

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2009, 01:00:44 pm »
Equally, havign said the above, 21" frames for someone who is 6'2" is not really any more large than a 19" frame is small.

It'll depend upon how you ride (or at this stage wish to ride) that bike even in cases where the reach is otherwise proportionate.

bikenerd

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2009, 01:30:13 pm »
Good advice from PhilO above, especially regarding top tube length!  :thumbsup:
It's currently fashionable with UK manufacturers to build bikes with a long top tube and a short stem.  I like the twitchyness of having a short stem, but you may not, in which case you'd need a bike with a shorter top tube and longer stem.

Anyway, I recently helped a friend buy a new bike from Summertown Cycles in Oxford.  He's 6ft 4 and bought a 20.5" Genesis Core.  I'd think you'd need the 19.5".  I'm about 5ft 10 and ride a 17.5" Genesis IO (as well as an 18" Pipedream Sirius).  The Genesis bikes are really good and Summertown Cycles are nice to deal with so I recommend you give them a call or visit.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2009, 09:42:30 pm »
I'm 5.8, and ride a 16 inch, and 17 inch. I would definitely err on the side of smaller.

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:42:23 pm »
I'm 6' 0" and ride a 21" Orange O2. I could do with a 19".
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2009, 11:52:31 pm »
Thanks all.  Not planning anything too technical ride wise; day rides - oxfordshire and surrounds, that kind of thing.  I'll look around for a 19-20" bike.  Any components to avoid?    

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2009, 07:15:57 pm »
More standover height is a good thing should you wish to spawn future generations.

19" will be fine or around that, I wouldnt get hung up about 1/2" increments, some manufacturers use 17.5/19.5/21.5, others will say 17/19/21, and then another will use 16/18/20. Measure one frame against another and the extra half inch will usually consist of a tiny bit more of seat tube sticking up above the top tube or nothing at all.

Reach is what really seperates them size wise.

As to components to avoid, it depends on the price point, undamped forks are the main one.

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2009, 07:23:18 pm »
6'2" and on a 19" Enduro - just to validate what everyone else has said.

If you like a roomy cockpit go a bit bigger, but if you like to stay alive on fast gnarly descents go smaller!

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2009, 08:03:33 pm »
6ft2 and 34inside leg... again on a 19inch, but this time a Cotic Soul (I think they're a bit longer in the top tube, bit shorter on the stem).
Depends what you're after but anything around 19in sounds about right for general XC or trail riding.
AndyM

« Reply #14 on: 01 October, 2009, 09:25:15 am »
One thought: on reflection, all of my MTBs have needed the standard seat post to be virtually on its minimum insertion mark, or a new seat post was needed.

Is there the makings of a rule-of-thumb in there, I wonder?  :)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.